Paint Issues - Non Hood | Page 6 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That's why they did away with the 2-piece tailgate on the older generations. It was handy as could be. The new generation sucks, can't even open the glass on the tailgate.

5 years later.... same fit and finish issues.....

New explorer paint issue

My 2016 limited finally arrived at my dealer from plant this weekend so I stopped by today to look at it before going in tomorrow to sign paperwork. While at dealership which was closed I noticed several spots/lines on the back right quarter panel that had the appearance of a water running down but with a black outline. There were about 3 spots and they did not wipe off when I ran my finger across them. Rest of car looked great but I don't know if something acidic dripped on car during transport or if this is a paint defect. Hopefully if it was like this at plant they would have caught it. I text my salesperson who said they would look at it tomorrow.
Looking for advise if dealer says it needs to be repainted. Seen some horror stories on here about people with similar issues having it repainted. No other vehicles in our color (caribou) with same opitions in a 500 mile radius so not an option to go with another vehicle. I'll know tomorrow but I am preparing myself for worst. Any advise from other that have had similar situation would be appreciated. Thanks.

Look it over CLOSE before you go sign anything! Pay close attention to the hood also! I have to take my 16 in this week for several hood paint issues. I have 2 bubbles, 1 crater, and 1 pimple in my hood paint. Wish I has seen them prior to signing, now I have to deal with it. Can't wait to see what they want to do. My suggestion wI'll be to have a new factory pained hood shipped in.

Did anyone else besides me ever have issues with the paint peeling on the back?

I've had for about a year what looks to be popped paint on the tailgate under the chrome trim right where the plate indent starts. I've seen at least one other one.

Back then the dealer said it was most likely due to impact. I try to keep it touched up. This weekend I am going to pull the trim off and do a better job of fixing it.

Spoiler alert for 2013 Explorer

Just noticed the bottom of the drivers and passenger doors have the paint rubbed off to bare metal. Talking about the very bottom edge, it contacts the black interior trim and wears the paint off. Mine has 25000 miles. Noticed a rust spot. Check it out.

My 2016 Explorer Limited has two paint defects on the roof, and there is no way that I would have ever known about it until next spring or summer, when I would be waxing the car. The dealer prep person found them while getting the car waxed for delivery, and the salesman pointed them out to me, prior to taking delivery. They offered to fix them prior to delivery, or at any time in the future that was convenient for me. They also said that they will supply a rental vehicle for our use while the car is being repaired. To me, Ford quality control is good, when you consider the number of vehicles that they build and ship every day. The inspectors can't be expected to find every flaw in the vehicle within the given time frame that the cars are coming off the line. This is where the dealership vehicle prep people come into play. They should be seeing any defects and reporting them to management prior to delivery. If they don't, they are not doing their job properly. I believe that your gripe should be with your dealer, not Ford. My dealer said that they are supposed to check the cars completely when they accept delivery from the truck, but even then some "defects" are not seen till later on. When this happens, they present it to Ford for reimbursement, and even if it is denied, they pay for the repair, not the customer.

I had a deal in place back in Nov for a 16 Sport I had 8 new explorers over the last 27 years all from the same dealer After the paint issues I had with my 13 and Fords refusal for any help I went with a Volvo XC60 T6 instead
I just didnt want to deal with the potential hood paint issues again

wow, reading it like a horror movie!
Seems to me I was lucky back in 2011 when I picked up my Explorer, I didn't check anything, but looks like everything is still fine except hood bubbles.

Hi,

I'm new to the forum and just purchased a new 2016 Explorer Sport this past weekend. I really like it but I have a concern. The door jambs/back of the from fender seem to be light on paint. Has anybody else noticed this with their vehicle? I can't seem to attach a photo from my phone so I'll have to attach it later.

Thanks,
Brian

Hi,

I'm new to the forum and just purchased a new 2016 Explorer Sport this past weekend. I really like it but I have a concern. The door jambs/back of the from fender seem to be light on paint. Has anybody else noticed this with their vehicle? I can't seem to attach a photo from my phone so I'll have to attach it later.

Thanks,
Brian
Welcome to the Forum Brian.:wave:
FYI, taking out a $20 Elite Membership will allow attaching photos from your computer and I assume, your phone. It also helps support the site.

Peter

Hi,

Thanks,
Brian
Yes, not only do I notice the lack of paint, it is also rubbing off to the bare metal at random spots where dirt is trapped between the door jam and weather stripping. No amount of washing will prevent this issue (I wash my car weekly through the touchless car wash and sometimes twice in the same week by hand) and I can't prevent it. I will not have the dealership touch it, because they're not experts in the painting department and will eventually add 3M clearshield at all 4 door jam/sill.

Most dealerships do not have a auto body shop where they can repaint or touch up the paint. They will farm it out to a outside shop. At least that is the way that they do it where I am located.

Most dealerships do not have a auto body shop where they can repaint or touch up the paint. They will farm it out to a outside shop. At least that is the way that they do it where I am located.
My Ford dealer does the same. They use a body shop (Fix It). The Toyota dealership had their own.

Agreed, but for minor paint scratches (design issue); I'm sure they'll just order some touch up paint and attempt to cover it up.

I posted about having the hood paint issue in another forum recently, but now I just noticed that there is a paint issue under the rubber seal that sits at the very top of the windshield. I thought some dirt was in there, so I folded the rubber seal back slightly and found several rust spots had formed already. It looks like there was a paint (seam?) issue underneath the rubber as it looks like a line of rust runs across in a zigzag pattern. Has anyone else seen this issue? This is on a 2014 Explorer Tri Coat Metallic White (paint code UG). Ford is paying for the hood issue, but now I plan on telling the paint guy at the dealership about these other areas and asking him to fix those as well.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I.......Ford is paying for the hood issue, but now I plan on telling the paint guy at the dealership about these other areas and asking him to fix those as well.
I wish you luck with that. The Warranty Guide mentions the following as NOT covered under warranty.
Damage Caused by Use and/or the Environment
The New Vehicle Limited Warranty does not cover surface rust,
deterioration and damage of paint, trim, upholstery, and other
appearance items that result from use and/or exposure to the elements.

The hood problem was an altogether different issue

Peter

Back