Paint my Trim White to Match Exterior Color | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Paint my Trim White to Match Exterior Color

Hi I'm new here. Been checking you guys out a lot though while I'm at work. Ever since I bought some new 22" rims I've just been obsessed with my explorer lol. Well I bought used so I have really small damage to both of my bumpers (okay I did the rear). It's not really noticable. However; my paint too is fading so I figured I would restore the color even though I've never been a fan of the grey/black whatev. Then I saw people matching the color to the rest of their interior but I haven't seen someone do it with white. I want it to look like the more expensive models that aren't really two toned. (glossy like the rest of the paint) Is that possible and if so how? Do I just need to add more clear coat?? I'm a college athlete on a budget soooo lol

Most go with painting the ugly faded gray tupperware on the exterior of their exploders black (my personal favorite) but you could do it in whatever color you would like to. As far as gloss, good luck with the worn exterior vinyl. If it were me I would sand the tupperware a little with fine grit sandpaper and use tack cloth to wipe the trim when done sanding. After sanding, do several coats of primer, do several coats of gloss white after this, and then finally do several coats of clear. I would use a light colored primer since you wanna go white on the trim. If you get good coverage with the primer(at least two coats or as many as it takes to cover up the grey/black) you should have pretty descent results. Just some advice, don't half ass it(skip steps or not apply enough coats) because it will look like **** if you do. :thumbsup:

Back