Painting Eddie Bauer trim

baritone275

Reaction score
City, State
Cornelius, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 Eddie Bauer 2-Door
Hello,
Inexperienced user of this website. 1993 2dr 4wd 5 speed Eddie Bauer.

Does anyone know a good source of paint that I can use to respray the tan trim (bumpers, body cladding, etc)? Whole vehicle really needs paint but that's not an option right now. Tan portions are faded, worn thin, etc.

I'm not in a position to use a professional paint sprayer. I am very good with rattle cans and can prep as well as anyone. Is there a paint suitable for the body cladding, etc, that will adhere well to plastic and look right?

Thanks. Have recently decided to spiff up my old buddy, couldn't bear to part with the Explorer.

Krylon's Fusion spray paint is marketed as being made for plastic. Lots of positive results around the web, so with proper cleaning and prep it should do well, clear coat afterwards for extra protection. Not sure if their tan color will match the EB trim, but if you're repainting lots of parts the color shift might be less noticeable.

Generally I wouldn't paint the plastic parts, their color is impregnated into the plastic when manufactured. If plastic parts are faded or not looking as good as they used to, sometimes you can use plastic polish or some rubbing compound to remove the surface layer that's causing the appearance issues.

This is something I have been tinkering with for about a year now.

The base of my tan interior is 1991 model tan, some of my parts are the 1993 tan. What I have found that works well is a color called Khaki in the Krylon lineup, about $4 a can at walmart.

The color matched fairly well with the 1993 tan, but the 1991 tan was significantly darker, therefore requiring more coats of paint "even it out". Unless you're out to critique my interior, it isn't horribly noticeable between the two shades.

Back