• Register Today It's free!

Paper gasket iac

dean1997sport

Reaction score
City, State
Los Angeles
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 Sport OHV
I bought my IAC from autozone and it came with a paper gasket. Do I use this or should I just re-use the o-ring that was on there already? oh and if I use the paper gasket should I use sealer? and what kind of gasket sealer?

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

...I have used just a thin coat of black rtv sealer on paper gaskets on both sides...The paper gaskets will shrink in thickness over time due to heat and then will let air be sucked in...

...Remember, a little sealer goes a long way when applied to paper gaskets...a lot of sealer is a waste and can create other problems...

I'd buy a new o-ring. You probably have to get it at a dealer. I paid about $6 but that was many years ago.

The problem with old o-rings is that they take a permanent "set" or shape after they get old and may not seal anymore.

I'm not really a fan of RTV + paper gasket to replace an o-ring seal.

IAC Gaskets (O-rings) - Ford Part Number: 97JZ-F-AA
Thats the best way to go. Just use the paper gasket until you get the O-ring style.
The above part number is for 1997 and 1998 with round holes and black vent equalizer cap. The 1999-2000 use one with squared off holes and no vent equalizer cap. I don't have the part number for the later one. There may be others that I don't know about.

Scucci

...My bad, us early first gens don't get the pleasure of O rings...:(

yea mine has the o rings but they are as flat as pancakes so I guess I will use the paper one until I can get to the dealer to get the o rings

yea mine has the o rings but they are as flat as pancakes so I guess I will use the paper one until I can get to the dealer to get the o rings

If you have the o ring configuration you probably have the SOHC engine. Dont use the cardbord gasket with the oring setup as you will get a check engine light due to a vacuum leak over time...about a week or two...you can remove the o-ring gasket and flip it over and reinsert it as it is symmetrical. When you flip it over you have a brand new edge that will get you by until you get a new gasket. I flipped mine over a year ago with no issues and it is the original gasket with 192,000 miles on it. good luck

The OHV engine also has the o-ring seal for the IAC. It is an o-ring that looks like a figure eight.

double check your new IAC and make sure it will seal properly with the O ring. There are a couple of configurations out there...and there is one that will not seal with the O ring...yet Autozone (and others) still catalog it to fit. The paper has to be used in that case, or go get the correct Motorcraft IAC.

Back