• Register Today It's free!

Parking Brake siezed...

Wade Lippman

Reaction score
City, State
Pittsford NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 Sport
I just bought a 99 Explorer with 92,000 miles on it. I took it into my mechanic to look at it before my 30 day warranty expired. Among other things, he says the parking brake is siezed. The pedal goes down an inch, so I figured it need an adjustment, but it is more than that. He says it should not have passed inspection last month.

He says he can't estimate the cost until he tears it apart, and since it is an obvious warranty issue, I don't want him to do that.

What range of expense do you think is involved?

Whats he going to tear apart. Should be just a pedal, cable and brakes unless the '99's are totally different.

What do you mean by siezed?is a tottaly mechanical system, you live in snow country and salted roads.
Check all the cables, lube with kroil any pionts that may bind, from the pedal to the shoes, good luck

Look at the cables but chances are they are ok.
There is a a scissor type mechanism that actuates the actual brake shoes inside the rotor of the rear brakes,chances are that is what is seized and not allowing the pedal to be depressed.The parking brake actuator,what I like to call it,can be taken apart cleaned up,and put back together with never seize and made to work again.Some cases they won't come apart and you will have to replace it.While the cable is disconnected from the actuator is a good time to check your cables and make sure they are free.

Back