Parking brake trouble shooting

Brem95

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Alberta
Year, Model & Trim Level
97' Explorer Sport OHV
Good evening, I hope everyone is doing well. Currently it's -35-40+ degrees here in Canada so I've been letting my 97' explorer sport start 15 or so minutes before work. My parking brake has finally gave out and I am forced to leave the truck in gear then when I start the vehicle back it down in neutral until it's on flat ground.

I just pulled it into the garage and about to jack it up and take off the rear wheels to inspect, just wondering if this is the best route to go:

1. Open up rubber plugs on rear discs to see if the star adjuster is seized or not (If it's not seized which direction do I turn these? I saw differing facts online
2. Inspect cable for slack or breaks
3. remove drums and inspect, clean and or replace the hardware and shoes

Thanks hoping to at least diagnose the parking brake system so I can fix it before I end up rolling into someones vehicle while I'm letting it warm up!

T.I.A.

Unrelated but worth a shot, when it's cold is it normal to have stiff left and right steering even after letting the vehicle idle and driving it for 10-20 mins? Power steering fluid was changed in the fall.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

At this age the parking brake shoes are probably toast, they love to delaminate with age. I'd pull the rotors off and inspect before cranking out the adjusters.

Thanks Boom, I will probably inspect cable, then just take a look at adjusters but keep rotors and wheels on and just order some new shoes and mechanism kit and just replace all this weekend.

I would do a complete parking brake job
The shoes are cheap so is the hardware

Imo don't cheep out on breaks plus it's easy job to

Ok so decided to do front and rear brakes, and parking brake shoe and hardware, also have a leaking t case (I have one waiting to be inspected and rebuilt) and then may as well do u joints.
Oh the joy of having a old vehicle lol. Thanks everyone

Ok so decided to do front and rear brakes, and parking brake shoe and hardware, also have a leaking t case (I have one waiting to be inspected and rebuilt) and then may as well do u joints.
Oh the joy of having a old vehicle lol. Thanks everyone
Are your u joints broken if not don't touch them Imo

Back