HELP! Any way around programming keys? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

HELP! Any way around programming keys?

YetiX

Reaction score
City, State
San Diego, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 XLT OHV 2wd
When we got our '98 XLT last month the dealer said they only had one key for it. I didn't think anything of it because my '96 doesn't have this stupid computer chip key. Today she went to go get a second key made and we found out that it's over $100!!! WTF? They said the key is $35 (no it isn't made of gold or platinum) and it costs $75 to program the key. In the manual it says you can program new keys yourself, but only if you already have tow keys to start with.

There has got to be a way around this. Has anyone tried to program a new key with only one old key? Or is there a way to circumvent the chip thing? Or can I do the programming part myself?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Did you try going through the procedure in your manual with the one key? Only when it gets to the part to put in the 2nd key, remove your one key and put it back in. I have heard both that it will work and that it won't work. Fortunately my '97 doesn't have this new "feature".

Haven't tried it yet but if I can't get the dealer to pay for the second key and programming it you can bet I will at least try it before forking over the extra $75.

Has anyone tried reprogramming with just one key?

The same thing happened to me. I only had one key and to get 2 extra ones cost me about $100.

RTStork - did you try programing the new key with your one old key? This has to be the stupidest system I've ever heard of.

Why the hell would Ford plan a system which requires two keys to program? Most people only need two keys and wouldn't get another until they lose one and it's too late to re-prog . . . oh, I get it. $$$ duh.

DOH!

You guys are getting ripped off. It's 35 for the key and you program it yourself. It's a matter of using the old and new keys to reprogram it. If you need the steps, I can look in my manual. It is in your manual too. It takes 60 seconds to do.

Believe me, I know I'm getting ripped off. The manual says I need to have two active keys to program a new key. My problem is that the dealer only had one key.

What I'm trying to figure out is whether you REALLY need two keys or if you can just use the same key twice (like Robert said).

Anyone know?

Well, do you need two keys in the process to program the new key? What does it say in you rmanual?

You DO need two keys. I went through the same thing myself. You also need to have both keys present if you are getting certain remote start alarm systems installed (I have a Clifford).

Damn. That's not what I wanted to hear.

Does anyone have any idea what the dealer does when the owner only has one key? What I'm getting at is if the dealer can do it, why can't I? Does anyone have one of those factory service CD's that might detail how to do this?

I can tell you what they do. They make the new key, then wipeout the codes old one, then reprogram both of them as well as the cars "brain" to work properly with the new keys. I am speaking in laymens terms of course. All this "rocket science" takes about 5 minutes.

So then what I'm wondering is HOW the dealer reprograms the keys and the brain. Does he have to hook the car up to a computer to do this or is it a manual thing like disconnecting the negative battery lead or something else?

Its hooked up to a computer.

Bummer.

I really do not want to pay for this. I'm going to try and find a way around it. Gotta find me a Ford tech who's willing to spill the beans.

Good Luck! Let me know what you find out...

If you want to get rid of the system all together, I have heard of people breaking off the part with the chip on it and duct taping it to their lock cylinder. By doing that, any $2.00 key that is cut to match your original will work. Your theft deterent system will not function though, since it will always think you have the coded key in the ignition. The steering will still be locked, but your alarm won't work. The guy in particular that did this had an Explorer that several people in his company shared. Someone was always loosing the keys so he taped just the part with the chip on it inside his steering column and made a bunch of $2.00 keys. You don't want to tape the whole key in there though incase it ever falls out onto the floor or you have a car thief take your column apart. That would make a nice surprise for a wood-be thief to find the key inside the column when they were planning on hot-wiring it.

if you bought the truck with only one key and remote i'd be complaining. every new truck comes with 2 keys and 2 remotes. Go back and request the second key and remote.

I'm in the process now of ripping the dealer a new one for not thinking to include two keys and two remotes. Even though we bought it used, we bought it as a certified vehicle from a Ford dealer and for them not to have thought of the keys and remotes is shoddy to me.

If somehow that doesn't work I might try Robert's idea. If I just pull the chip out and then super glue it inside the column where it can't be seen or knocked off that would be pretty cool. It would still have the factory alarm and I know that neither is really going to stop a determined thief. That's why it's in the garage at night with my dog!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Actually, no it wouldn't still have the factory alarm since the computer would think that your key is in the ignition. I would guess that your alarm wouldn't go off is someone opened your door if it thought your key was inserted. Your steering column lock would still work, but that's all, and of course you would still need a cut key to start it.

Back