Wanted - pcm/engine wiring harness diagrams.....please help me!!!!! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Wanted pcm/engine wiring harness diagrams.....please help me!!!!!

Parts or services wanted

9horseman

Reaction score
City, State
bay view wisconsin
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 ford explorer 4x4
I just recently blew up my 2000 FORD EXPLORER 4x4 4.0L SOHC with vin code x for the engine. Now I have a small problem making the replacement engine I was able to procure is from a 1999 FORD EXPLORER 4x4 4.0L SOHC with vin code x for the engine. What I need to know is if anybody has ever done the swap of these two motors on their own and ran into the same thing with the wiring harness not having the same set-up ends and/or leads to all the sensors. What's concerning me is if the 1999 motor will run in my 2000 body after all the wiring was reconfigured to fit the 1999 motor and does the knock sensor on the 1999 motor have to be hooked up to the 2000 PCM in the same fashion as the 1999 PCM was. I spent a whole lot of time trying to do this and don't want to have another bad motor experience. Anyone have a wiring diagram for both the 1999 and 2000 Explorer 4.0L sohc?

SOHC V6 vin x?

The first thing to clarify is what engine came in your vehicle and what engine you purchased to replace it. For both 1999 and 2000 the 8th digit of the VIN is "E" for the SOHC V6. If the 8th digit is an "X" then your 2000 vehicle is wired for an OHV V6. I suspect that you have different engine types (SOHC and OHV) and are trying to replace one with the other. Since you mention a knock sensor on the 1999 engine that one must be a SOHC - the OHV has no knock sensor. Are you trying to replace a 2000 OHV with a 1999 SOHC?

CMP sensor

If you're swapping from an OHV to a SOHC you'll encounter a problem with the different camshaft position (CMP) sensors. The SOHC V6 utilizes a variable reluctance CMP sensor mounted on the left valve cover. The OHV utilizes a hall effect CMP sensor (synchronizer) mounted at the rear of the engine driven by the jackshaft. The PCM reference voltage for the SOHC CMP sensor is 1.5 volts and that for the OHV sensor is more than 10 volts. Snoranger encountered this problem when swapping his OHV with a SOHC. See:
Did the SOHC come with a cam synchronizer?

OHV to SOHC swap wiring

The reluctor sensor outputs an alternating current signal and requires no power source. The hall effect sensor outputs a rectangular waveform with a 5 volt maximum, has a built in amplifier and shape generator, and requires a power source. In order for the SOHC CMP sensor to be compatible with the OHV PCM a variable reluctor to hall effect converter similar to the one in the following thread will have to be incorporated: MS2-Extra Distributor Pickups Manual

I have the wiring diagrams for the 2000 SOHC and OHV. I suspect there were few changes between 1999 and 2000. The only differences I saw were for the fuel cap sensor, the knock sensor, the O2 sensors (4 vs 3 sensors), and the message center.

Back