Pending DTC P0171 and P0174 But explorer runs great. | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Pending DTC P0171 and P0174 But explorer runs great.

Ford OEM or do a mechanical tensioner. Aftermarket hydraulic ones are trash out of the box.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

OEM only or leave it alone for the hydraulic tensioner. The after market stuff is junk for the 4.0 SOHC timing components.
Doing the valve cover gaskets is a good idea while you are in there, I did mine at the same time. They are a pain in the @55 if you try to do them with the fuel line and heater hoses still attached but it is possible. For the fuel line that goes over the D/S I removed the one little bolt holding the bracket on that the fuel line is attached to. That bracket is bolted to the cylinder head and that little bolt is a pain to get to. I did it that way because I didn't want to mess with opening any fuel lines and creating a smell in my garage.
The P/S I unbolted the bracket that is part of the heater pipes/hose assembly after removing the transmission dipstick tube.
This enabled me to sneak the valve cover out without draining or loosing any coolant.
The valve cover gaskets will stay on if you assemble the valve cover bolts with new seals into the valve cover and through to the gaskets properly. There is a shoulder that goes through. Here is a video that will explain how to keep the valve cover gasket in place while you turn the cover over without it falling off. (hopefully).

if youre pulling valve cover gaskets, probably already know this, but inspect the one timing chain that goes to the p/s (?) to make sure the guides are alright

Check both sides while you are there.
If the passenger side looks like this, you are in luck!

IMG_0736 - Copy.JPG

And make sure the driver side is still in good shape. This picture didn't turn out so good but this is the area to look for broken plastic chain guides.
IMG_0733 - Copy.JPG

Check both sides while you are there.
If the passenger side looks like this, you are in luck!

View attachment 427748

And make sure the driver side is still in good shape. This picture didn't turn out so good but this is the area to look for broken plastic chain guides.
View attachment 427749
Ok will do. I am gonna take my time to be as thorough as possible. That is one very clean engine. Thanks for the heads up. All this info is really great.

Back