Picking Up 302 on Thursday

CarFreak146

Reaction score
City, State
Shawnee, Kansas
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 Explorer XLT
ok heres the deal....

I was able to get a carb'd 302 (bored out 30 over) out of a 79 F-150 for free. It is a complete engine, just needs rebuilt..... now, I will let everybody know, that I have never rebuilt an engine before (but have resources who have) and am planning on putting this in the Explorer after it is done. So what do you all think? Is it a good idea to put a carb'd 308 (after being bored) into an off-road (yes, it actually sees the mud and rocks) Explorer? Please tell me what you think, and I know I will be having questions, so your expertise will be greatly appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

yeah, I'm planning on putting a C5 behind it, so then I could either use the BW t-case, or swap it out for something else.

Nice idea. Its going to be work but it will pay off. Why does the motor need to be rebuilt?

not sure, haven't seen it yet, I was told though that it was bored, after he got it, but it needs honed (it was never installed, been sitting around) and it needs a valve job. Really, he told me that is doesn't NEED to be rebuilt, but it would be good for it.

A 302 bored 30 over would be a 306. Not tryin to nag on ya, just for future reference. Also, if you are unsure of the quality of the previous work on it, then it is always a good idea to take her apart, replace what needs it, make sure everything is torqued correctly and then let her rip...

Hope everything goes well for ya...

it should work fing but i would get a a carb like the truck avenger that is able to handle severe angles without messing up

A good point billy. This is a BIG job to do. You are going to really want a body lift to clear the carb and filter. Also to avoid a lot of headache's I have my 302 sitting on a stand at work just havent gotten it built up yet. Good luck man. Make it happen and keep us posted

I've already got a 3" Body Lift, and thanks for the advice.

Back