PID 2D and 2E Readings | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

PID 2D and 2E Readings

jon_s_brady

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
'05 XLT
Like a lot of people I cleaned up my throttle body and EGR valve to rid myself of the dreaded "Service Engine Soon" like only to have it return a couple of days later. I went and looked at my OBD II scanner and while it's throwing P0401 as a code the only two PIDs that I see out of range are PIDs 2D and 2E.

I'm wondering if anyone could offer an interpretation of these values...
PID Code Value Lo Hi
2D EGR Error -100 -100 99.22 %
2E Commanded evaporative purge 0 0 100 %

The value of 2E being 0 makes me think that if there's no command then the DPFE must be bad.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sorry, I have no idea what the codes are telling you. Have you considered it could be the DPFE Sensor?

Insufficient EGR flow

P0401 Exhaust Gas Recirculation Flow Insufficient Detected

I'm not sure how to read your PIDs but the one for 2D looks odd if the format is EGR Error value=100, low=100, high=99.22 %. To me 99.22 is lower than 100.

Anyway, insufficient flow means the PCM commanded the EVR to open the EGR valve and the DPFE did not report a corresponding flow. The EGR valve could be staying closed due to a leaking vacuum diaphragm or a corroded valve, the EVR could be defective, or the DPFE could be reporting the wrong value. The EGR valve can be tested with a hand vacuum pump. Often condensation forms in the DPFE inlets eventually resulting in inaccurate readings. See EGR System O&T

The value was actually -100 which apparently is a legitimate value. I neglected to add in my original post hat PID 2C Commanded EGR had a value of 89.5.

If I'm interpreting this correctly the PCM has told the EGR to open 89.5% but the diaphragm has not opened at all. Wouldn't this point to a faulty diaphragm rather thAn the DPFE?

Also, I have another post that no one has yet replied to about testing the DFPE...

Which of the 4 nipples on the unit of a 2005 Explorer XLT activates the diaphragm or is it electrically operated by a solenoid?

EGR vacuum regulator

I don't know about your 3rd generation but as I explained in the thread on my 2nd generation the EGR valve is controlled by the EGR vacuum regulator (EVR) which is a solenoid controlled vacuum valve. The old EGR valves had a monitor capability but the newer ones don't. The PCM relies on the output of the DPFE to determine if the EGR valve is functional. The PCM has no way to isolate a failed EGR valve from a mechanically failed DPFE or EVR.

Back