• Register Today It's free!

Pinion angles?

Xplorer92

Reaction score
City, State
Richmond, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 XLT/'00 Jeep Wrangler
I'm currently doing a '93 4x4 Explorer rear axle swap on to a '94 4x4 Ranger Rear. I have the new perches, and shock mounts ready to weld on. The only problem is I have absolutly no experience with Pinion Angles. I don't want to just eye ball it when I weld on the perchs and I have heard that it is very important to set the pinion angle correctly before welding them to prevent the U-Joints from binding, and the rear end from vibrating. Should I just set the Explorer axle parallel to the Ranger axle and put them in the same location as the Ranger axle, or is there a better method of achieving this. If someone would be kind enough to give me the 411 on pinion angels for dumbies on this one (in simple terms) please do. Thank You

I was going to type a bunch of stuff, but found this very detail article (with pics) on the webb. How to set Pinion angles

DeRocha said:
I was going to type a bunch of stuff, but found this very detail article (with pics) on the webb. How to set Pinion angles

Good article, The way Currie use the transmission angle in relation to the pinon angle IMO is the best way. I posted just a day or so about using a angle finder to do this. Speaking from experiance. That way is the same way I used to set the pinion angle in my drag cars. And in the years that I tried to destroy every drive shaft and u-joint, never once did I succed. Broke about everything else though HA HA

Back