setting pinion angle | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

setting pinion angle

And SuperEx91 >> the questions are fine, and technical -- we all like technical questions :D so ask away as they come.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

hey is are you thinkin what im implying....2.5 anyone??

hey is are you thinkin what im implying....2.5 anyone??
LOL yeah -- but lets try to keep this thread on focus -- SuperEx91's pinion angle

:confused: you lost me with the 2.5

any other tips or shortcuts? could the axle safely be cut with a band saw or will i not be able to weld it up strong enough to keep it from snapping?

my angle gauge should be here tomorrow or friday.

the 2.5 is an axle produced by Rockwell International .. so called 2.5 because its rated for 2.5 tons.

You're not cutting the axle tubes so I dunno why you mention band saw. Youre going to use a grinder to grind the weld that holds the C to the tube.

a pneumatic cut off wheel would make the most sense......

Axle17.jpg

does this help...maybe Iz can explain it better...

Nvm. wasnt thinkin rockwell.

I understand the idea. i meant instead of grinding and pounding, could i use a saw, cut straight through the tube and reweld it at the right angle. I dont think it would be strong enough tho and would probably just snap on me.

Nvm. wasnt thinkin.

i mean instead of grinding and pounding, could i use a saw, cut straight through the tube and reweld it at the right angle?
No you cant do that -- thats a butt weld and is very weak.

Break out the grinder (or die grinder as mudBug suggested) and do it the old-fashioned way :D
Take your time, dont rush things, even if it takes you an entire day to free the C's, you're well on your way to getting the project finished, and you're one more day closer to the goal :D

<image> does this help
Yeah that image explains it all -- thanks!

This is a good thread. I have read over most of the SAS bulids and none of them go into the much depth on how they set the pinion angle or even if they set it like this or even had to mess with it at all.

Also wont the location of the radius arms affect the pinion angle? If they are lets say 2" from the frame or 6" from the frame that will change the angle some, maybe not a dramatic change but this will be an affect on the angle.

Eric

now...couldent you say set the caster angle then drill the welds on the center section? and then rotate it? it would keep the C's aligned perfectly (in theory)???

now...couldent you say set the caster angle then drill the welds on the center section? and then rotate it? it would keep the C's aligned perfectly (in theory)???
Yeah that would word -- kind of related to the 8.8's weakness (example: Rick's spun tubes).

But to [intentionally:D] rotate the center section must be a royal pain and I think you'd have to go to a specialty shop to have this done.

yah, that sounds a little more difficult than moving the C's. I will plan on that then.

i worked out an order in my head. let me know what you think, if i will run into problems...
1. complete rear(SOA, Lift shackles). this will be height to set the front to.
2. with rear tires on ground, set front on stands at same height.
3. locate the front axle same height off the ground and where i want it front to rear.
4. set axle to desired pinion angle with jack stand or whatever.(this with C's already being removed)
5. place R/A mounts on axle and frame at desired location.
6. make measurements for the radius arms
7. build the radius arms.
8. with arms test fitted, weld axle brackets on at correct pinion angle.
9. weld frame brackets on.
10. tear apart and remove front axle.
11. based off of pinion angle, set C's to 7* and weld.
12. put back together and mount springs where needed to keep angles as set.

Thats what i got so far. the only issues are getting my upper spring mounts set in the right location to keep my angles right. I dont know how the springs are gonna settle, which worries me.

Another issue...moving the axle forward. i have read numerous times about this and don't know if i should do it or not. planning on 36-37" tires if that is one of the deciding factors.

Also saw this in this months petersons mag.
F2F_002.jpg

I want to make shock mounts like those. i have those same spring buckets and they could easily be made with square tube i think. they want 215 for them but i think i can make them.

I just got the Ex pulled into the garage. running like crap. im gonna change the plugs, wires, and fuel filter later tonight. it hasnt been driven in a couple years and i know the stuff is really old.

I also talked to the guy that is setting up my gears. we are gonne do them next saturday after i get off work. So this week, i will be tearing the Ex apart.:D :D :D

good luck

Had to work late and then help my aunt flush some rats out from under her garage. anyways, i got the plugs and wires changed and they gave me the wronf fuel filter so i will have ti exchange that this week. I got the Ex supported on stands. that was a pain:thumbdwn: but it is done. pulled the front bumper and thats all i got done so far. gotta get up early toorrow but hopefully will get time to work on the Ex.

I am pretty sure that pinion angle is set with the weight of the vehicle on the springs but i figureds i would ask before i started. i got my u-bolts bent up so i will be getting the rear axle in soon.

set up the pinoin angle with the weight of the truck on the axle...the rear is cake ...wait till the front..

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thats what i am worried about. That is the fun tho.
I tried grinding the one C off the other day and i swear i got all the weld off and still couldnt get it to pop off there. naturally i ground into the axle more than i wanted too but i couldnt get it too budge.

Back