• Register Today It's free!

Platinum Owners - Any Regrets?

JAMADOR

Reaction score
City, State
Spring, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer Limited RWD
I really liked the 2022 XLT I had for 2 weeks for a loaner while our Expedition was in for cam phaser replacement.
Always poking around at what's for sale & came across a 20 Platinum for a decent price with just over 30k on it.

Any known issues with the TTV6, or anything overall in particular to check on a test drive?
Worth the extra $ over a Limited with the 2.3?
Real world MPGs? Compared to my Malibu [which gets surprisingly poor economy for a small 4cyl car], can't be bad.

My only knock on it is the 21" wheels & the decent difference in the cost of tires [~$700 difference for a set of Michelin PS AS4 over the 20"].

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Bumping this up, planning on possibly making the 90 minute drive each way to check out the Platinum (and possibly a Limited also down in that area).
Recently saw the topic about the subframe bolts, so will check that on the Platinum.

Good luck on your 'hunting' trip. I can't comment on the 2020 Platinum but I was very happy with the previous 2017 Platinum I had.
Also not a fan of the 21" wheels. I'd actually take 18" wheels if they were an option.

Peter

Good luck on your 'hunting' trip. I can't comment on the 2020 Platinum but I was very happy with the previous 2017 Platinum I had.
Also not a fan of the 21" wheels. I'd actually take 18" wheels if they were an option.

Peter
Yeah, the 21 looks good. Curious to see how the ride is with them compared to the 20s that were on the XLT Sport Pkg I had before as a loaner.

Yeah, the 21 looks good. Curious to see how the ride is with them compared to the 20s that were on the XLT Sport Pkg I had before as a loaner.
It's interesting to me the 20 in wheels and tire size on my 20 Limited are exactly the same dimensions as the Ram L2 Laramie I had prior to the Ford. The Explorer rides much better and the Ram is considered the best riding full size pickup around as a data point.

It's interesting to me the 20 in wheels and tire size on my 20 Limited are exactly the same dimensions as the Ram L2 Laramie I had prior to the Ford. The Explorer rides much better and the Ram is considered the best riding full size pickup around as a data point.
Don't forget that they have different frames. The Explorer is a 'unibody' whereas the Ram is a 'body on frame'. That is why the difference. It isn't the tires. The Explorer actually isn't a 'truck'.

Peter

Had a 21 ST w ST Street Pkg on it pop up about 5 minutes from my house, at the same dealer where I bought my wife's Expedition last year (and where I bought my 16 F150)

What's the difference between the std brakes & the ST Street brakes? Cosmetic, or are they actually bigger/different brakes?

Which way would you go? Assuming list price was within $500
2020 Platinum w 32k - Star White on tan
2021 ST w ST Street w 47k Star White on black

The Street Package was a $995 option that included red painted calipers and an upgraded braking system along with 21" wheels.

Peter

Thanks, wasn't really clear online with what the actual changes were.
Starting to lean toward a Limited now, since my trade in apparently has 2 prior reported accidents, which cut the trade value by quite a bit.

Well, I've got a very low mileage 2020 Limited for an extended test drive & barring anything unforeseen, it'll likely end up in my driveway.
The dealer I was talking to with the Platinum has been uncommunicative, and is over an hour from my house.
Went & test drive the Limited over lunch today & they let me take it for the night. A couple cosmetic things I want addressed & the alignment needs checked [wheel is a bit off to the left]. If we can that addressed, we'll move forward.

2020 Limited officially in the driveway.
The dealer that had the Platinum was very unresponsive. Different dealer had this Limited & was great to work with.
2020 Limited, 25k miles. Star White on Sandstone
Pano moonroof, tow pkg & 20" wheels
20230123-171748.jpg

2020 Limited officially in the driveway.
The dealer that had the Platinum was very unresponsive. Different dealer had this Limited & was great to work with.
2020 Limited, 25k miles. Star White on Sandstone
Pano moonroof, tow pkg & 20" wheels
View attachment 438448
Congrats on the new to you limited. And welcome to the board.

Nice car, very sexy

Made the same choice 5 months back. 2020 Limited with every option available and 26000 miles. Drives great, thought I'd miss the 3.0 but I'm old so the 2.4 is fine. Really like the lane holding ability.

explorer.jpg

I have a 2020 Platinum, leased then purchased in Dec. of '22, few minor issues, nothing major. No regrets, 25K miles, love the vehicle, power and technology .

TBill

Made the same choice 5 months back. 2020 Limited with every option available and 26000 miles. Drives great, thought I'd miss the 3.0 but I'm old so the 2.4 is fine. Really like the lane holding ability.
I thought long about whether I'd miss the extra power of the TTV6. But, coming from a 2012 4cyl Malibu, the 2.3T is a rocket, and probably a little better on fuel.
Dumping rain in Houston at the moment, so I'll get a feel its wet weather feet shortly.

I thought long about whether I'd miss the extra power of the TTV6. But, coming from a 2012 4cyl Malibu, the 2.3T is a rocket, and probably a little better on fuel.
Dumping rain in Houston at the moment, so I'll get a feel its wet weather feet shortly.
Very nice looking vehicle. At least with this one, you don't have to worry about coolant "dumping" into the engine. ;)

Peter

Which was that a problem on? The Ecotec 2.4 in the GM, or the TTV6 EcoBoost?
Regardless, glad that's not a concern.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Oh, I have read about that on the N/A 3.5 V6
We had that engine in our Flex, and luckily had no issues through about 150k miles.
In-laws have a '16 Flex AWD, unsure on mileage on theirs, but it's been mechanically trouble free. Same with a coworker's 2014 (I think) XLT Explorer.

Back