Please Read:Airbagit.com Drop Keys | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Please Read:Airbagit.com Drop Keys

syn-

Reaction score
City, State
orlando, fl
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 xlt - wip

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I just picked up some today, price is still $119.00 plus shipping, total $134.00

lol wtf :

List Price: $58.80
Our Price: $119.00

lol wtf :

List Price: $58.80
Our Price: $119.00

Yeah, I thought that was pretty messed up, but I was not able to find anywhere else, at least not for desent price. Airbagit claim's they have to custom make each one, but I was wondering why they just dont make a bunch of them all at once, but they probably don't sell a lot of the "Lower" Keys. The Keys to Raise the Truck are still sold at the $58.00

They were having them cast over seas for the longest time and I gues they are not cnc maching them in house. I have been a dealer for them for a few years and have been watching these keys and dealing with the old backorders they had.

I ordered mine like 2 years ago but when i finally installed them they worked out AWESOME

they are machining them now, installed mine this week and love the drop. though bilsteins I put on work good but not as stiff as I had hoped given it was only a 2" drop.

Are these drop keys beneficial if the drop is less than two inches, like the 1-3/8" X-Spec Suspension recommends?

Are these drop keys beneficial if the drop is less than two inches, like the 1-3/8" X-Spec Suspension recommends?

I am currently using the X-Spec Blocks and Bilstein Shocks and found that the TT would work, but I did'nt have good tension on the Keys when lowered. I picked up the AirBagit Keys and installed them, they worked great!! The Keyways installed just like the stock ones, they don't come painted so I would recommend painting to avoid them getting rusty.

Below is a picture of the old and new Keys, the upper key in the picture is the new replacement. Notice the keyways are several degrees off.
Keys_1.jpg

Lowered:
Front_Passenger_side.jpg

Front end with Bilstein Shocks:
Passenger_Side.jpg

Dana88,

Looks like you rebuilt the whole front end with new parts.

So you got the lowering keys for the front and X-spec lowering blocks for the rear?

How much of a drop front and rear?

I currently have the x-spec front and rear sway bars and edelbrock shocks. i'm interested in what you have done. Looks great.

Dana88,

Looks like you rebuilt the whole front end with new parts.

So you got the lowering keys for the front and X-spec lowering blocks for the rear?

How much of a drop front and rear?

I currently have the x-spec front and rear sway bars and edelbrock shocks. i'm interested in what you have done. Looks great.

Yes, I rebuilt the whole suspension, brakes and steering system. It had over 150k when I picked it up from the orginal owner. The engine & tans were in good condition, but the suspension was worn out.
I found most of the parts at RockAuto, used Raybestos Pro Parts. Any core parts such as the Rack and Pinion and Brake Calibers, I picked up at the local Napa store.
I did use the X-Spec lowering blocks in the back, the Airbagit keys in the front, lowered it about 2 inchs (I also used the X-spec bumper stops, but you can cut the old ones and save a few dollars). That is about as far as you can safely go with a AWD.
I was going to go with the edelbrock shocks, but I could not find them for less then $95.00, the Bilsteins where $64.00.
I also needed to use some 1/4 inch spacers in front and rear for tire clearence.

Thanks Dana88

I appreciate your reply and your Explorer looks great! The front end work tells alot about how a tuner does his work, awesome. I didn't know a 4mm adapter is required when running Cobra R Wheels, good to know - what do you recommend? Thanks again.

I appreciate your reply and your Explorer looks great! The front end work tells alot about how a tuner does his work, awesome. I didn't know a 4mm adapter is required when running Cobra R Wheels, good to know - what do you recommend? Thanks again.

The 1/4 inch spacers
MMWS-1.jpg

I picked up at Maximum Motorsports,
http://www.maximummotorsports.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=48_134_231&products_id=573

The cost was about $50.00 a pair. You may be able to find then else where cheaper, but I did'nt want any issues with fitting, etc. MM has a good Reputation for quality parts.
MM also sell 1/2 inch Spacers, which I tried first, but found the Stock Wheel Studs to be too short to hold the wheels on safely, the 1/4 inch Spacers I found to work fine with the Stock Wheel Mounting Studs. Once the 1/4 inch Spacers are installed the Front Wheels will clear the Front Ball Joint End & The Rear Wheels Clear the Parking Brake lines (although you may need to use some zip ties to pull it into the body a little tighter).

Tire Size Used was 275 x 55 17 on Cobra R Wheels.

Airbagit Keys

I must be over thinking this. If I purchase the Airbagit keys do I still need to do the TT and once they are installed is the ride height adjustable?

damn those kets used to be listed at $49.90, never bought them since I was going coil-over and dropping the need for torsion bars all together

i just ordered mine the other day for 120$ or so

totally was around 180ish

I must be over thinking this. If I purchase the Airbagit keys do I still need to do the TT and once they are installed is the ride height adjustable?

if the Keys are replaced, the only thing you need to do is install the new keys and adjust the height. The new keys let you drop more then 2" if you like and the spring still has good tension.

Glad i only have to deal with this company once!

Called them when i was ordering to check stock(i hate waiting) and was told everything is in-stock, placed order, 1 week later order still in processing, i called them. They are in line for CNCing, now i have to wait 1-2 more weeks when I thought everything was in-stock ready to ship to me like I was told. Like I said glad i'm only doing business with them once!

Glad i only have to deal with this company once!

Called them when i was ordering to check stock(i hate waiting) and was told everything is in-stock, placed order, 1 week later order still in processing, i called them. They are in line for CNCing, now i have to wait 1-2 more weeks when I thought everything was in-stock ready to ship to me like I was told. Like I said glad i'm only doing business with them once!

They told me the same story, took about 2 weeks to get the keys. Not sure why they just don't make a batch of keys and keep them on the shelf, I guess they just don't sell enough.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

They told me the same story, took about 2 weeks to get the keys. Not sure why they just don't make a batch of keys and keep them on the shelf, I guess they just don't sell enough.

apparently $20 of steel and labor is too much to sit on

Back