Please welcome - The Ford IVT Team | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Please welcome - The Ford IVT Team

Status
Not open for further replies.
The FordIVTTeam sounds like a gift from heaven. There must be a way to upgrade MFT for current owners. So far ours has been a real disappointment.

BTW, The Ford Service Tech told me today that the system is automatically updated with downloads from the Satellite....? Huh, I don't believe it.
SH

As said above, get a new service tech. Complete BS.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I did a bit of Google searching after my initial question to Rebecca and was sad to see that in June Ford announced that AppLink would be part of Sync in every 2012 Ford car, truck, van EXCEPT the Explorer, Edge and Taurus.

Autonews.com - Ford adding AppLink to 10 models for 2012

Go figure. Give the good stuff to people driving relatively cheap Festivas Focuses and E-Series cargo vans, while customers purchasing their more expensive MyFordTouch products get squat... :mad:

Seriously... What the heck? I understand the importance to getting the current features working correctly... but how about at least letting us know it is coming one day... I mean this carrot was dangled out there 2 model years ago and is now on all of the vehicles with lower end infotainment systems....

Ajar

I can't believe this as Cory or Seni responded that the team WAS working on this and that they would get us more info soon (though I guess this could be the classic blow off). Since Ford was touting this as part of its high end MFT as early as January 2010, I agree with Ajar that it really doesn't make any sense for Applink (Pandora) not to be included as part of Ford's high end systems when it is available for its low end systems. I hope its delay is more due to wanting to fix and stabilize MFT first, rather than a decision to not implement this advertised feature at all. While focusing on fixing MFT first is very understandable, if Applink, Pandora and similar apps don't come to the 2011 Explorer flavor of MFT, it adds insult to the injury of many Explorer owners who paid MORE to get a buggy MFT system that never gets some of the promised and highly touted features.

I am sure many of us (as evidenced by the MFT and advanced feature take rate that Ford and the analysts love) upgraded to MFT in reliance (hopefully not "detrimental") of these advanced features Ford was so eager to tout to the public as being available on its soon to be equipped MFT vehicles. Indeed, I kept my order for the Explorer with MFT because of responses on this forum indicating it was still in the works. Rebecca, can you get any confirmation from the team regarding Applink and Pandora (one of the few apps actually announced at CES in 2010) for the 2011 Explorer?

Thanks

I would MUCH prefer to have a functioning Pandora app integrated into the system (I currently use Pandora through my phone). Sirius is well marketed but the music selection gets old in a hurry- I don't know how many times now I have heard a song and then heard it again a couple of days later- every music station is a bit like a Top 40 station playing the same stuff over and over.

I'd gladly give up my satellite radio for Pandora.

Rebecca, can you get any confirmation from the team regarding Applink and Pandora (one of the few apps actually announced at CES in 2010) for the 2011 Explorer?

Thanks

I am trying to find out if we have any timing or target dates on when Pandora and the other Mobile Apps will be available for our MFT vehicles. Keep in mind, our current software is our main concern. We want to ensure that all of the functionality is there before releasing additional enhancements such as AppLink.

I own a 2010 EB with SYNC/Nav. Why have there been no updates to the software for the 09/10 years? Will there be? Checking the SyncMyRide website there is only one version of the software and it's the same one that was installed when my car was manufactured.

I thought that was one of the major selling point, that the software (for all IVT) would be updated with additional features/fixes.

Thanks in advance

If you would like, send me your VIN in a private message and I can look to see if there are any future updates coming.

Welcome...I'm having issues where several times a week, my radio will not turn on. Usually when this happens, there is a strange set of symbols on the radio screen. There are 3 symbols. One looks like the profile of a face, the second is a musical note, and the third is the letter y with 2 dots over it ( ÿ ). It usually takes me 4-5 times in turning the car on and off to get the symbols to go away and the radio work again. My dealer has replaced the APIM once and re-flashed the software 4 times but this still happens. Any idea what's causing this or what these symbols may indicate? The dealer has seen this and contacted the Hot Line, but can't get it resolved. Thanks.

This concern is addressed on the 2.11 update. I was not informed what the symbols mean, however, our Engineers are aware. The update will be coming out soon. :party:

The FordIVTTeam sounds like a gift from heaven. There must be a way to upgrade MFT for current owners. So far ours has been a real disappointment.
BTW, The Ford Service Tech told me today that the system is automatically updated with downloads from the Satellite....? Huh, I don't believe it.
SH

My momma always said I was a gift from heaven! :)

The next update will be a dealer install only. The reason for this is that the files that need to be installed on your MFT are too large for you to do at home.

As you already know, the system is not updated via satellite.

Rebecca

I agree with a lot of the posts here, and I feel for you Rebecca...you will be swamped here.

The fact that applink is on Ford's least expensive car and not on a few of the most expensive is amazing. I don't care as much while I have Sirius free, but I will be frustrated when I go to use Pandora more and can't without looking down at my phone (illegal here).

A change log to help us make an informed upgrade decision would also be quite helpful. I am on 2.4 still because I don't know what is the difference, and I am not having issues. I don't know if the "only one upgrade" has been cleared up, but I am not taking chances until there is a reason to upgrade. As it sits, not saying what the change is feels akin to bringing a car in for service, getting a bill and not being told what was done (this analogy gets stronger if we one day pay for upgrades).

The next update will be a dealer install only. The reason for this is that the files that need to be installed on your MFT are too large for you to do at home.

I'd wager a few of us have faster connections than the average dealer ;)

What we don't have is the special laptop.

Either way, welcome.

P.S. Tell the engineers many of us are happy to use our cell phone data plan rather than "dial up" via the cell for health reports or TDI. Adding that option would be nice...

I'd wager a few of us have faster connections than the average dealer ;)

What we don't have is the special laptop.

I suspect the reason for a dealer install is that it is a full install, not just a patch. Don't want full version in the wild where those of us with access to teams of developers could - uhm - revise Ford's Sync code ;)

I suspect the reason for a dealer install is that it is a full install, not just a patch. Don't want full version in the wild where those of us with access to teams of developers could - uhm - revise Ford's Sync code ;)

I'd love to get my hands on the full ROM

"The next update will be a dealer install only. The reason for this is that the files that need to be installed on your MFT are too large for you to do at home."

Ummmm.......
I can understand that perspective for folks living in a remote location without access to much in the way of internet service. Today, high-speed internet is so prevalent that I would guess at least 80% of the population has access and a large percentage of that group has access at home. From the description someone else posted of watching the dealer process, I would guess that at least some of the dealerships don't even have the speed of my low-end cable service.

Downloading 200 MB files is quick and easy for me. If the MFT software is any larger than what could be compressed into that I'd be somewhat surprised. I'm not saying it isn't, but that is a LOT of code.

As far as the specialized laptop, I'm guessing it isn't that special, just has Ford software running on it and whatever the cable (sounds like a standard USB) for the connection. It may be special to the dealership, with restricted use so someone doesn't accidentally mess it up. (Just a guess)

i suspect the reason for a dealer install is that it is a full install, not just a patch. Don't want full version in the wild where those of us with access to teams of developers could - uhm - revise ford's sync code ;)

+1

I suspect the reason for a dealer install is that it is a full install,

It is. I read some of the WSM. On the other, no comment ;)

Downloading 200 MB files is quick and easy for me. If the MFT software is any larger than what could be compressed into that I'd be somewhat surprised. I'm not saying it isn't, but that is a LOT of code.

As far as the specialized laptop, I'm guessing it isn't that special, just has Ford software running on it and whatever the cable (sounds like a standard USB) for the connection. It may be special to the dealership, with restricted use so someone doesn't accidentally mess it up. (Just a guess)

I didn't find the actual ROM size, but install requires 3GB free on the service laptop (referred to as scan tool) and a 1GB USB stick. The laptop, seems to simply be software and a USB cable tied to a scan tool. But...I don't have one, so it's special :D

This is crap! In order to get this update my service center is going to make me leave the car overnight and stick me in another crappy loaner. I have a degree in Computer Science and am totally capable of installing an update onto my own system. I understand that not everyone is qualified to do this but we should at LEAST be presented the option to do so. :thumbdwn::thumbdwn::thumbdwn:

P.S. Tell the engineers many of us are happy to use our cell phone data plan rather than "dial up" via the cell for health reports or TDI. Adding that option would be nice...

Thanks for the feedback. I will definitely submit this as an Efficiency Report!

Rebecca

Hey Rebecca, welcome to the forums :)

My wife and I are considering the purchase of an Explorer in the not too distant future, but one thing is causing us hesitation. While the MFT technology is cool, one aspect of it concerns us.

What are the chances that Ford will reintroduce real buttons and switches on the dash to compliment the MFT functionality?

Here are my two posts on TheFordStory.com regarding our thoughts:

http://www.thefordstory.com/your-ideas/technologies/infotainment/real-buttons-for-myfordlincoln-touch/

http://www.thefordstory.com/your-ideas/technologies/infotainment/real-buttons-for-myfordlincoln-touch-expanded/

It is my sincere hope that the Ford designers listen to the reviewers and individuals that believe the lack of real buttons and switches is not a beneficial design choice.

Thanks for lending an ear.

This is crap! In order to get this update my service center is going to make me leave the car overnight and stick me in another crappy loaner. I have a degree in Computer Science and am totally capable of installing an update onto my own system. I understand that not everyone is qualified to do this but we should at LEAST be presented the option to do so. :thumbdwn::thumbdwn::thumbdwn:

OMG. Absolutely not. If something goes awry or doesn't perform as it should after the update, I'm sure the truck would be going right back to the dealer. If it is Ford's responsibility to fix, and if this is such a major deal- let them fix it. Sweet Christ- they're now going to have a fix, and you're seriously upset that they're not going to let you install it yourself? Really? Come on, guys. When was the last time you want to the dealer for a recall and they tossed the parts on the counter and asked you "ok, did you want us to take care of that, or were you going to toss them on yourself this weekend?" It's under warranty, they're responsible for the results and function, they should be in control of the installation.

What are the chances that Ford will reintroduce real buttons and switches on the dash to compliment the MFT functionality?

I honestly had to get a little used to the lack of buttons, but it happened very quickly. I really don't notice anymore.

Oh boy, I can see too many problems with that. Chances are, if it doesn't fix the problem or MFT continues to act up, people will still come busting through Fords door complaining that something doesn't work and it will open up a new world of problems. Not saying you will, but I can imagine other people will still get worked up.

Are you kidding? So they should just hand out software to anyone that claims they know what they are doing? People would lie to get it, and if they had problems, then would blame Ford.

If this were a pay-to-update for out of warranty add on's I could see that, but for warranty issues? No way!! The liability and probability of problems would be astronomical.

Well, my latest MFT experience is not promising. The system had been freezing up, blue tooth problems, lost GPS etc. Took it to the local Ford Dealer, Crandall's in Park City, Utah. The tech said my build date triggered notice of a fix. He asked for the car for 3-4 hours because he had had problems getting the update to load without crashing. Anyway, at the end of the day I picked up the car with assurances it was fully updated, Ver 1.30. Now the nav system is completely gone. The dealer has no idea how to fix it because the update installed without any errors. They are going to call a Ford "engineer." Said they'd get back to me when they learned something. Might be today, or several days. Don't think I'll sit home by the phone. :rolleyes:
SH

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Is 2.11 Officially released?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back