Popping sound from 2nd row seat behind driver side | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Popping sound from 2nd row seat behind driver side

rusty813

Reaction score
City, State
Private
Year, Model & Trim Level
2018 Ford Explorer Sport
There is a popping sound coming from the 2nd row seat behind the driver side. The sound goes away when the seat is completely detached from the floor in the upright folded position. I suspect it's coming from the fabric behind the seat. It just sounds like the seats were poorly designed. Anyone with similar issues?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Does anyone have this issue?

I suggest tightening the mounting bolts to the floor pan. Also look at the latch where it latches to the floor bracket. Maybe latch not engaging fully and needs a bit of lubrication and that's why you a rattle. To answer your direct question....no noise or rattle on my vehicle.

Have you tried to see if you can move the seat when it is in the latched (normal) position?

Peter

I suggest tightening the mounting bolts to the floor pan. Also look at the latch where it latches to the floor bracket. Maybe latch not engaging fully and needs a bit of lubrication and that's why you a rattle. To answer your direct question....no noise or rattle on my vehicle.

Thank you, yes I have the bolts in my floor plan really tight. I even took it to an mechanic who used a breaker bar, and they are tight. The mounting brackets are tight as can be. It still makes the soda can pop noise.

Have you tried to see if you can move the seat when it is in the latched (normal) position?

Peter

The seat won't move in the normal position. I am not am able to replicate the noise with the car still. It needs enough force from driving on the road.

The seat won't move in the normal position. I am not am able to replicate the noise with the car still. It needs enough force from driving on the road.
Have you had someone sitting in the back, 2nd or 3rd row, while you're driving to see if they can isolate the area of the noise?

Peter

20200102_201306.jpg
Have you had someone sitting in the back, 2nd or 3rd row, while you're driving to see if they can isolate the area of the noise?

Peter

Yes, the noise is coming from the 2nd row seat. I think found source of the problem. There is plastic thing that pitches together to hold the seat cover over the foam. In the back of seat, there is a board. The plastic band is always tapping against the in board of the seat.

Back