Possible Blown Head Gasket? | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Possible Blown Head Gasket?

Ya it's been over a year since I did a flush. I did it when I replaced my radiator.
Were do you see the gasket blown out?

I "might" be wrong, but look at the 1st pic (the full head shot) and the white part in between the cylinders in the middle. There's a small water jacket there, that's where it looks like it blew out at.

From everything I know about head gaskets, they usually blow by a water jacket(prob due to the gumming up at the end).

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Look at your valves, the odd colored cylinder is your leaker.

I bought a set of new heads w/warranty off of ebay for $415 shipped.

I "might" be wrong, but look at the 1st pic (the full head shot) and the white part in between the cylinders in the middle. There's a small water jacket there, that's where it looks like it blew out at.

From everything I know about head gaskets, they usually blow by a water jacket(prob due to the gumming up at the end).

Ok I see. I thought maybe the two white-ish colored ones were cracked since I couldnt see were the gasket might be blown. But now that I look at what you guys have mentioned I see it.

Yea it has nothing to do with flushing the radiator. And i say its a cracked head not gasket

Wow I feel lucky I don't think mine got into the oil. My oil still looks good. Mine cracked on one head right between the valves in the front drivers side cylinder. How do you post pics on this site do I have to host them somewhere else and if so where? I gotta show everyone the plug that was in my bad cylinder I've never seen anything like it.

Hope they were complete. You can get bare heads and put SI portflow valves in cheaper than that.

Ok I see. I thought maybe the two white-ish colored ones were cracked since I couldnt see were the gasket might be blown. But now that I look at what you guys have mentioned I see it.

Dont take that as much.these heads crack normally before they blow gaskets.

Wow I feel lucky I don't think mine got into the oil. My oil still looks good. Mine cracked on one head right between the valves in the front drivers side cylinder. How do you post pics on this site do I have to host them somewhere else and if so where? I gotta show everyone the plug that was in my bad cylinder I've never seen anything like it.

Just go to Photo Bucket and create an acount (it's free) and upload your pictures there. When your viewing your album just copy and past the IMG code into the message box.

Well after further inspection here's what I found. This is the passenger side #3. The one thats black.
P1060317.jpg

P1060329.jpg

P1060319.jpg

Thats one of those repairable cracks. They can pin it, put in new seats and viola, crack fixed.

BUT, I'd rather go for new castings of 93tm with new springs/valves etc..

~Mark

Thats one of those repairable cracks. They can pin it, put in new seats and viola, crack fixed.

BUT, I'd rather go for new castings of 93tm with new springs/valves etc..

~Mark

Wow, i didn't think you could repair that. I dont know if I'd trust it, but I do have a set of 95tm heads to go on.

Ok , I have a question. Here is a picture of the instructions that came with my Fel Pro head bolts. Do I have to do as it says and install the heads and intake as a set torquing them one after another...or can I put the heads on, torque them and at a latter date put the intake on and torque it? Thanks
P1060331.jpg

You should do them all at once. If you do the heads alone first, then put on the intake you may not get a good seal.

~Mark

You should do them all at once. If you do the heads alone first, then put on the intake you may not get a good seal.

~Mark

Thanks, I ask because I don't have a garage and am subject to the weather and my kids schedules. I will wait till I can put them on together.

Curious though...what does it matter? The heads are dowel pinned in, there not going anywere?

~Mark

Interesting, never heard that before. Can you explain your theory?

Once its torqued its torqued, it's not going anywhere. I've let projects sit days, even weeks half put together without any problems.

edit- I see what your saying with the design of these 60 degree engines, on a 90 degree engine it wouldn't matter at all.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back