• Register Today It's free!

Possible Hydro-Lock help

exPEERience

Reaction score
City, State
Warminster Pa
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Ford Explorer XLT
Hello everyone..after 2 1/2 yrs of receiving quality help from this site, I finally registered today because I seriously need help. 97 Explorer 4x4, went through water flooded street and stalled after just about through the 'lake-effect-puddle'. Wouldn't start and battery lost charge and started smoking when attempting to start with hot box. Installed new battery, it cranked a few revolutions then abruptly stopped. I pulled air filter and it was soaked..not good. I'm fixin to pull the plugs and try to crank the engine, but I am heartbroken. Yes I am female and luv my truck. I bought a near identical explorer yesterday. Now, I have quite a bit of experience in the automotive field, both mechanically as well as refinishing. This is my first explorer after having had 5 full size Bronco's...(and many 'puddles' won!) I'm asking for help regarding steps to take to determine if in fact I got water in the engine thru the intake..Thank you all for existing here, Karen

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Karen, welcome to the forum.

Karen, welcome!
When we water log engines the first thing to do is pull the spark plugs and THEN turn it over....any water in the combustion chambers will be pushed out through the spark plug holes.
Trying to turn the starter with water in there (water does not compress like air) can cause serious internal damage. 1997 was the first year of the SOHC engine and they were recalled. Was your engine newer or the original 97?
If the engine has had water in it for some time now (More then just a few hours)
You should also drain the oil, remove the plugs, remove the fuel pump fuse and then try to turn it over with the starter....see if it pushes water out and the starter starts cranking like normal

Karen, welcome!
When we water log engines the first thing to do is pull the spark plugs and THEN turn it over....any water in the combustion chambers will be pushed out through the spark plug holes.
Trying to turn the starter with water in there (water does not compress like air) can cause serious internal damage. 1997 was the first year of the SOHC engine and they were recalled. Was your engine newer or the original 97?
If the engine has had water in it for some time now (More then just a few hours)
You should also drain the oil, remove the plugs, remove the fuel pump fuse and then try to turn it over with the starter....see if it pushes water out and the starter starts cranking like normal
Hi!! ty 4 the reply... Unfortunately, I didn't learn about pulling plugs b4 attempting 2 start until I got home and looked on this site. So I had tried to start, however, it only cranked 2 revolutions then died..no battery. Next day (again, b4 plug info) put new battery in and same thing, only this time cranked 2 or 3 x and stopped turning abruptly. I chkd dipstick didn't c water signage, pulled a plug..looked a bit wet wasn't sure if it was water or fuel or both. Then I pulled air filter and that's when I got scared. It was soaked. So I got on here and posted. This is (or was) a one owner trk with orig everything in super great cond. 2moro, I'm gonna follow ur instr hoping I didn't 86 the engine bc there was minimal cranking

The problem is that when you crank a hydro-locked engine (even 1 revolution) you may bend a piston rod). If this happens your engine is pretty much ruined. Pull the spark plugs, drain and replace the engine oil and filter (with cheap oil and filter), crank it with plugs out and your accelerator held to the floor (turns off fuel injectors) to push any water in the cylinders out, reinstall the spark plugs and hope you didn't bend a rod. If it's still okay run for long enough to burn off any remaining water in the oil and replace the oil and filter again. Good luck.

The problem is that when you crank a hydro-locked engine (even 1 revolution) you may bend a piston rod). If this happens your engine is pretty much ruined. Pull the spark plugs, drain and replace the engine oil and filter (with cheap oil and filter), crank it with plugs out and your accelerator held to the floor (turns off fuel injectors) to push any water in the cylinders out, reinstall the spark plugs and hope you didn't bend a rod. If it's still okay run for long enough to burn off any remaining water in the oil and replace the oil and filter again. Good luck.
Thank you much..I will use ur advice and let u know the outcome. It'll b in the next few days

hey there!! took a bit longer than i thought but i pulled the plugs, cranked it, cleaned and reinstalled the plugs and YES!!! it started right up! runs great! i cannot thank u enuf for the advice. now i have 2 97' explorers! gotta sell one..

Good job

hey there!! took a bit longer than i thought but i pulled the plugs, cranked it, cleaned and reinstalled the plugs and YES!!! it started right up! runs great! i cannot thank u enuf for the advice. now i have 2 97' explorers! gotta sell one..

Congrats!

Congrats!
ok so im new to this and need to know how and where to ask for advice on r/r a camshaft position sensor. i did the crankshaft ps last year, but this one looks like a project! lmk and many thanks

ok so im new to this and need to know how and where to ask for advice on r/r a camshaft position sensor. i did the crankshaft ps last year, but this one looks like a project! lmk and many thanks

IDK if you ever mentioned it, but what engine do you have in your truck? The only engine that replacing the cam position sensor in is difficult is the OHV 4.0L V6. If this is what you have, the easiest way (perhaps the only way) to get at the sensor is by removing the intake manifold. This is because of the location of the sensor (approx center, rear-most top of the engine block). I've never owned an OHV 4.0L V6, but many here have done this job and can give you advice on how to proceed. Why to you believe the cam position sensor needs to be replaced? Is it making a squeaking/chirping noise?

IDK if you ever mentioned it, but what engine do you have in your truck? The only engine that replacing the cam position sensor in is difficult is the OHV 4.0L V6. If this is what you have, the easiest way (perhaps the only way) to get at the sensor is by removing the intake manifold. This is because of the location of the sensor (approx center, rear-most top of the engine block). I've never owned an OHV 4.0L V6, but many here have done this job and can give you advice on how to proceed. Why to you believe the cam position sensor needs to be replaced? Is it making a squeaking/chirping noise?
its a 4.0 v6 the former owner said its an sho motor..not too sure bout that, but its pulling 2 codes..one being the cps, the other is the speed control for trans. im needing inspection so have to adress these issues

its a 4.0 v6 the former owner said its an sho motor..not too sure bout that, but its pulling 2 codes..one being the cps, the other is the speed control for trans. im needing inspection so have to adress these issues

If it's a SOHC 4.0L replacing the cam position sensor is a piece of cake. The VSS (vehicle speed sensor) is also easily replaced. Pulling codes is a good starting point, but you can't take what the codes say at face valve change a sensor and always have that fix your problem. It might be the sensor a bad wire/connection, or something else. For instance a problem with the alternator has been know to throw a cam position sensor code. I'm not one to just throw parts at a problem w/out knowing the part is really bad, it's a waste of money and you usually can't return an electrical part once you've installed it. Still, for the sake of expediency the CPS and VSS are not expensive parts. Some Explorers have the VSS in the transmission or transfer case and some had it in the rear differential.

If it's a SOHC 4.0L replacing the cam position sensor is a piece of cake. The VSS (vehicle speed sensor) is also easily replaced. Pulling codes is a good starting point, but you can't take what the codes say at face valve change a sensor and always have that fix your problem. It might be the sensor a bad wire/connection, or something else. For instance a problem with the alternator has been know to throw a cam position sensor code. I'm not one to just throw parts at a problem w/out knowing the part is really bad, it's a waste of money and you usually can't return an electrical part once you've installed it. Still, for the sake of expediency the CPS and VSS are not expensive parts. Some Explorers have the VSS in the transmission or transfer case and some had it in the rear differential.
You are so right and thank you...

Back