Mike

Moderator Emeritus
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
West Babylon, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 XLT v8 AWD
Well as of right not i have 2 rockford he's in my truck.. they pound... but i have a few problems... with the he's i had the gane up maybe 1/4 the way if that.. and if i have a song that really has hard bass the bass cuts out... now im thinking its the amp.. but im not shure.. im running a single pioneer 760w amp thats bridged into both subs... could this be it? if it the amp cutting out for what ever the cause is? now here is my idea.. im going tomorrow to return the 2 he's (or trying to) cause i have 2 hx 2's i cant sell.. now i know the hx2's are really badass subs... so here is my idea...

2 hx2 subs running off of 2 pioneer 760w amps.. and a 2f cap... how does that sound? i need the cap due to my lights dimming big time.. will this work? will i need to do anything else? i also have 4ga wire running from the batt to the dis block for the amp... will 4ga wire be enough for the 2 amps? and will i be able to run 2 760 watt amps off one cap? or should i get 2 1f caps? let me know as far as ideas....

Mike

please respond asap as im doing this tomorrow..

:p

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Dead Link Removed

take it for what its worth but here is what i would do. run your 4ga from the front battery. From just looking at the specs for the amp real quick you should be fine with just a capacitor.

Now here is the fun part. From the cap run the + wire into your distribution block (fused I hope) then what I would do is from the two out puts of the distribution block run one + wire to each amp. then run your speaker wire from amp A to Sub A. Then run speaker wire from amp B to sub B. Basically what you are doing is hooking up one amp per sub. looking at the specs for the HX2's you shouldn't have a problem doing this. As for the RCA wires you could either run 2 seperate sets or run one set and add on connectors that go from 1-2. basically you get two, 1 female to 2 male connectors from radio shack. plug in one of the connectors to one side of the rca wire from the back of your HU. then do the same with the other side.

how do you think this should sound? should it pound? i want people 3 blocks away to hear me.. and feel it.. you know.. one of those systems you drive by somones house and you set there car alarm off and there house shakes? thats what im looking for here.. also would i be better off getting the second amp? or would it sound better and louder if i got one large amp and pushed them both with that?

well im looking at the specs for the 12"s (im assuming thats what you have) they can handle 400w rms each. You could run the 2 pionneer amps and end up with 380w rms to each sub. I would honestly by an amp that does about 800w rms. It would be easier to hook up one amp instead of 2 also. I dont see why they wouldnt sound good. It probably wont give you the earth shattering base your looking for but it should bump pretty hard. Just remember that with car audio you get what you pay for. I have a little over 2 grand in my stereo and yea it bumps.

also should i go with a 1f cap or a 2f? i dont want to drain my electric system... i have a few things i need the power for... after market fogs and exct.. what one should i get?

I would go with the 2f depending on price. you could be like me and get a 2nd battery for you system. one thing you should do is get a bigger alt. Im not sure of the size of the one in your truck but in mine its 95A stock. I got a 130A from autozone for about $120

i think stock i have a 100 amp

upgrade it its deff. worth it. With a bigger alt. and a 2f cap I will just about guarantee you that you wont have any problems.

How are you wiring up the subs to the amps?

2-HE 4ohm to a single load = 2 ohm, and if im not mistaken this is below the pioneers bridged impedance recommendations. This will send the amp into protection mode.

2-Hx2 Dual 4 ohm = either 2 ohm or 8ohm (per sub), either of which is not optimal for the amps.

2-Hx2 dual 2 ohm = either 1 ohm (bad idea) or 4 ohm, viola this will work

i want people 3 blocks away to hear me.. and feel it.. you know.. one of those systems you drive by somones house and you set there car alarm off and there house shakes?

Thats supposed to be impressive? Sounds more like disrespectfull. Im more impressed with a system thats well balanced, not 99% bass .

Originally posted by MrExplorer
i want people 3 blocks away to hear me.. and feel it.. you know.. one of those systems you drive by somones house and you set there car alarm off and there house shakes?

Thats supposed to be impressive? Sounds more like disrespectfull. Im more impressed with a system thats well balanced, not 99% bass .

that was just a figure of speach.... my truck is verry well ballanced... i have great highs and mids.... so much that it covers the bass on most songs.... thats why im looking for moe bass..

Mike

welp i returned the poineer amp and got a rockford amp... s400. it sounds ok... i still have to play with it.. i also got a cap.. but i dont know what size it is all i see on it is 500,000 whats that mean? also how do i charge this? and should this fix my prob with the lights dimmimg when it hits?

Thats a 1\2 Farad cap. My Rockford 360 wasnt happy until i got a 1 farad cap. That solved the dimming problem also. Normally the intial charge is done with a resistor in line (should have been included). This is done before the final hookup of the positive lead to the battery and amp. Basically just have your negative hooked up allready and then take the resistor ans place it between your battery lead(+) and the cap(+). The resistor may get hot so beware. I know that some people just hook them up and deal with it arcing when you place the last lead on.

Welp i still have not charged the cap.. hope to do that tomorrow... but i love the subs..

question for you guys.... if i add a cap to my system do i need to put in a cut off switch? wont the cap drain my batt? i want to fin dout before i hook it up cause i dont want to try to start it one day and have a dead truck.. ya know?

Mike

No, you do not need a cut-off switch.

The cap wont drain your battery once its charge has been replenished. The cap just stores energy. I belive the caps with digital readouts have a third terminal for a positive signal (At least mine does) to turn the readout on. That should be wired to the ignition.

anyone else have anyinfo ont he caps? one of my friends says it will kill my bat? also will a 1/2 F cap be good for an s400 rockford amp?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

how about this?

i have a single 12" power hx2, i used a JBL BP1200 for it.....i would say buy two of these amps, they are quite reliable and CHEAP power....and you'll also need a set of the Harrison Labs F-Mods for the subsonic filter, or you can buy 2 sets and plug in to each other(i.e. High pass 30Hz, low pass 80Hz) that way you'll never have any sound below 30Hz leak out your sub and nothing "non bass" over 80Hz leak out either.....the things cost like 30 bucks a pair.....i just went and go the subsonic filters because i port my boxes and tune them to what frequency i feel is best for the speaker

Back