Pre-Collision assist issue | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Pre-Collision assist issue

Reaction score
City, State
Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
2018 Explorer XLT
Hello guys. I own a 2018 XLT. It says that it carries a Pre Collision assist. I've seen the red lights lightning everything I turn on the engines but never worked when testing them getting closed to a Collision with another car rear (tested securely) I can't hear a beep nor lights. I looked up in the dashboard settings and it says the sensitivity is up to high. How can I test if it's actually working or if there's is a problem with the sensors. Can anyone advise what the problem may be? Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hello guys. I own a 2018 XLT. It says that it carries a Pre Collision assist. I've seen the red lights lightning everything I turn on the engines but never worked when testing them getting closed to a Collision with another car rear (tested securely) I can't hear a beep nor lights. I looked up in the dashboard settings and it says the sensitivity is up to high. How can I test if it's actually working or if there's is a problem with the sensors. Can anyone advise what the problem may be? Thanks
I believe you are talking about what is sometimes referred to as the Forward Collision with Brake Assist feature. The Pre Collision assist does not provide any braking, it just sort of pre-charges the brakes in case you need to use them.
The warning on top of the dash should light up and provide an audible alert. Mine usually goes off when following a vehicle that is making a right-hand turn, and me knowing that, I don't slow down which triggers the alert. You have to be going more than 5 mph. I really don't know of a way to test it otherwise. Is the radar unit clear of obstruction?

1673550714360.png

"The brake support system assists you in reducing any collision speed by pre-charging the brakes. If the risk of collision continues to increases after the audio-visual warning, the brake support prepares the brake system for rapid braking. The system does not automatically activate the brakes, but if the brake pedal is pressed even lightly, the brakes apply full stopping power."

Peter

I believe you are talking about what is sometimes referred to as the Forward Collision with Brake Assist feature. The Pre Collision assist does not provide any braking, it just sort of pre-charges the brakes in case you need to use them.
The warning on top of the dash should light up and provide an audible alert. Mine usually goes off when following a vehicle that is making a right-hand turn, and me knowing that, I don't slow down which triggers the alert. You have to be going more than 5 mph. I really don't know of a way to test it otherwise. Is the radar unit clear of obstruction?

View attachment 438079
"The brake support system assists you in reducing any collision speed by pre-charging the brakes. If the risk of collision continues to increases after the audio-visual warning, the brake support prepares the brake system for rapid braking. The system does not automatically activate the brakes, but if the brake pedal is pressed even lightly, the brakes apply full stopping power."

Peter
Yes. I was refering to the same. Pre Collision assist. The one with the dashboard lights and sound. It did just once when a car in front of me was taking a left turn for a U turn. But it never again after that. Isn't this system alert you when you're rapidly getting close to a another car rear? Why only seems to work with the two front side areas and not the middle front? Like, Isn't that what it is meant to do?

Yes. I was refering to the same. Pre Collision assist. The one with the dashboard lights and sound. It did just once when a car in front of me was taking a left turn for a U turn. But it never again after that. Isn't this system alert you when you're rapidly getting close to a another car rear? Why only seems to work with the two front side areas and not the middle front? Like, Isn't that what it is meant to do?
I don't recall if mine ever went off when approaching a vehicle directly from behind. Perhaps that is because I may already have been braking. :dunno:

Peter

I've feel how this system works in other brands. And comparing them to mine, yeah, I wouldn't test it without pushing my brakes all the way down. It seems like is disabled, honeslty. But I'm pretty sure I wasn't meant to work only for sudden side turns in front of you...it got to be something else.

I've had mine go off when I was driving on the highway and mashed the gas hard enough for the vehicle to downshift and accelerate hard. You might see if you can get it to trigger that way. As Peter mentioned, it does trigger when people are making turns if you don't at least let off the gas. I've noticed that I have adjusted my driving style to prevent it from alerting in situations that I know should be fine, but the car would see as "you have 3 seconds to impact."

I've had mine go off when I was driving on the highway and mashed the gas hard enough for the vehicle to downshift and accelerate hard. You might see if you can get it to trigger that way. As Peter mentioned, it does trigger when people are making turns if you don't at least let off the gas. I've noticed that I have adjusted my driving style to prevent it from alerting in situations that I know should be fine, but the car would see as "you have 3 seconds to impact."
I get you. But it makes no sense to have 3 secs to react. 1 sec is not even enough when driving. I'm really upset about how this system works. Meh....

I've never had it trigger when it was too late to react. I don't know the exact numbers, but I do know that my 2018 should have the same system as yours. I've only had it activate once when I needed it. It was a rainy night and a car had stopped in the middle of the road. I was driving 50mph and it went off with PLENTY of time for me to slam on the brakes. ABS didn't kick in, even on a wet road. I was able to stop before hitting the car.

I've never had it trigger when it was too late to react. I don't know the exact numbers, but I do know that my 2018 should have the same system as yours. I've only had it activate once when I needed it. It was a rainy night and a car had stopped in the middle of the road. I was driving 50mph and it went off with PLENTY of time for me to slam on the brakes. ABS didn't kick in, even on a wet road. I was able to stop before hitting the car.
Yeah no. Mine definitely has to be bad cause I've tested several times going about 35 mph behind cars and had to push the brakes hard cause if not...well bye bye new car of mine. This system seems to be not working in several models cause my settings are on and sensitivity is high. Only showed up when a car in front of my took a left turn for a U turn and that was it...never seen it again.

........................................Only showed up when a car in front of my took a left turn for a U turn and that was it...never seen it again.
That would mean that it's working. That is the only time mine have gone off in all my vehicles, including the Aviator.

Peter

View attachment 438079

Peter
Does anyone know where the radar unit is located in the 2018 Ford Explorer supposed to be some where behind the front grille it is nowhere to be found. Warning on dash says its blocked.

Does anyone know where the radar unit is located in the 2018 Ford Explorer supposed to be some where behind the front grille it is nowhere to be found. Warning on dash says its blocked.
Welcome to the Forum Jim. :wave:
See the picture I posted here; Push Bar for Explorer

Peter

Back