2020 Explorer Issues - 4WD Fault, Pre Collision Assist Not Available, Service Advance Trac | Page 8 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2020 Explorer Issues - 4WD Fault, Pre Collision Assist Not Available, Service Advance Trac

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks mate đź‘Ť
Also noticed that voltage to the module fluctuates a lot down, went from 14 to 9V and the 6.04 V suspicious. This is why I will check connections and grounds.

Did you solve the problem?

I read interesting info on seemingly AWD module failure actually being grounding issues. apparently it is grounded through the casing and if the three nuts holding it down to the body are not tight, there might be grounding issues. it's under the driver's seat.

also:
23-2061 Ford Technical Service Bulletin
This TSB lists builds from 9-2019 a 12-2021. Suggests the AWD module in these vehicles may not be properly case grounded and grounding of the harness ground wire must be performed.

Did you solve the problem?

I read interesting info on seemingly AWD module failure actually being grounding issues. apparently it is grounded through the casing and if the three nuts holding it down to the body are not tight, there might be grounding issues. it's under the driver's seat.

also:
23-2061 Ford Technical Service Bulletin
This TSB lists builds from 9-2019 a 12-2021. Suggests the AWD module in these vehicles may not be properly case grounded and grounding of the harness ground wire must be performed.
Thank you for taking the time.
With the snow these past few weeks I didn’t get the chance to test the grounding issues but will definitely investigate this first as the “intelligent 4wd” message comes and goes sporadically which tells me something might be triggering it as I am driving.
Good news is , there is still connection with the module.
I will definitely keep you guys updated and will provide pictures if possible ;)
Thanks again, really appreciate your time and help.

I have the exact same Error Codes!! dealer want $995 to install a new module where did you run the ground to?

This member mentioned it first back in December:

TECHNICAL SERVICE BULLETIN
Module Lost Communication Issue
23-2061

24 February 2023

Issue: Some 2020 Explorer All-wheel Drive (AWD) vehicles built from 7-Sep-2019 to 9-Dec-2021 and 2020-2021 Escape AWD vehicles built from 6-Jun-2019 to 29-Jul-2021 may experience a "powertrain failure warning", "AWD failure requiring repair", "collision assist warning unavailable", "repair electronic stability control ESC" message displayed in the Instrument Panel Cluster (IPC), AWD module lost communication issue. This may cause abnormal functions when using the AWD function.

Action: Follow the Service Procedure steps to correct the condition if the vehicle meets all of the following criteria:
• 2020 Explorer AWD vehicles built from 7-Sep-2019 to 9-Dec-2021.
• 2020-2021 Escape AWD vehicles built from 6-Jun-2019 to 29-Jul-2021.
• "Powertrain failure warning" or "AWD failure requiring repair" or "Collision assist warning unavailable" or "Repair electronic stability control ESC" fault message displayed in the IPC.
• Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs) U0102, U011D, U0146, U0418, U041E, U0100, P0562 and/or other related DTCs.

NOTE: This TSB does not apply to DTC C0095 and C00A6 issues.

If you haven't seen it yet check out the attached TSB 23-2061. It is basically splicing in an additional body ground to the TCCM harness on Pin 46 under the driver's seat.

Probably also worth checking out the module body/case grounding studs/nuts as mentioned above and in Post #84 of this thread on another forum: 4WD Fault Service Required

Attachments

• Ford TSB 23-2061.pdf
    802.1 KB · Views: 66

If you haven't seen it yet check out the attached TSB 23-2061. It is basically splicing in an additional body ground to the TCCM harness on Pin 46 under the driver's seat.

Probably also worth checking out the module body/case grounding studs/nuts as mentioned above and in Post #84 of this thread on another forum: 4WD Fault Service Required
Thank you đź‘Ť

I printed the TSB procedure provided in post #84 and will get to work as soon as my schedule allows it.

Thanks again for those precious informations, amazing forum!!!

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
FYI, the TSB is also listed in the TSB and Recall threads. List of Useful Threads - 6th Generation Ex and Aviator Recalls, TSB, FSA and SSM

Peter

First time on here for My 2020 Explorer ST -- only 25K miles. I'm getting the same errors popping up as mentioned previously. Service Adv trac, 4wd fault, precollision, Drive Mod not available, ect.
I now have FORscan running to see codes and modules. I do not see TCCM and AWD modules??? and have communication errors with ABS codes U0102 , U0146, U011d --- lost Comm with TCCM & Lost comm with AWDrive control mod & Serial Data gateway A
ACM codes U0100, u0293 lost comm with ECM/PCM -- IPC u0100 lost comm with ECM/PCM-- IPMA codes U0418 invalid data
All seem to be pointing to to these modules not communicating. Im assuming one of these has power issue since FORscan is not seeing either TCCM or AWD and data isn't being sent or recieved to other Modules? I'm guessing TCCM and the AWD mod communicates through the TCCM?
I did try grounding the case externally of the AWD module with a good ground but no difference. I didn't locate the TCCM module yet as I have to figure out how to remove the plastic trim under the steering wheel without breaking it. I removed the 2 bolts but seems to have some hooks, i'm a little older now and my body doesnt bend certain ways. If there is a wiring diagram available that would helpful, don't see the TCCM or AWD modules fuses listed so assuming they share power with something else. (I'm kinda thinking a ground problem) I have a fuse list downloaded. Car drives OK in drive mode it defaulted too. Errors suddenly appeared on the vechicle startup last week. Thought it was front half shaft speed sensor before scanning but it ohmed OK.
Dealer had one for $26 so I changed prior to loading FORscan and buying the cable. Oh well.
Great forum has helped me in the past!
Any help appreciated!
Thanks -- Ken

First time on here for My 2020 Explorer ST -- only 25K miles. I'm getting the same errors popping up as mentioned previously. Service Adv trac, 4wd fault, precollision, Drive Mod not available, ect.
I now have FORscan running to see codes and modules. I do not see TCCM and AWD modules??? and have communication errors with ABS codes U0102 , U0146, U011d --- lost Comm with TCCM & Lost comm with AWDrive control mod & Serial Data gateway A
ACM codes U0100, u0293 lost comm with ECM/PCM -- IPC u0100 lost comm with ECM/PCM-- IPMA codes U0418 invalid data
All seem to be pointing to to these modules not communicating. Im assuming one of these has power issue since FORscan is not seeing either TCCM or AWD and data isn't being sent or recieved to other Modules? I'm guessing TCCM and the AWD mod communicates through the TCCM?
I did try grounding the case externally of the AWD module with a good ground but no difference. I didn't locate the TCCM module yet as I have to figure out how to remove the plastic trim under the steering wheel without breaking it. I removed the 2 bolts but seems to have some hooks, i'm a little older now and my body doesnt bend certain ways. If there is a wiring diagram available that would helpful, don't see the TCCM or AWD modules fuses listed so assuming they share power with something else. (I'm kinda thinking a ground problem) I have a fuse list downloaded. Car drives OK in drive mode it defaulted too. Errors suddenly appeared on the vechicle startup last week. Thought it was front half shaft speed sensor before scanning but it ohmed OK.
Dealer had one for $26 so I changed prior to loading FORscan and buying the cable. Oh well.
Great forum has helped me in the past!
Any help appreciated!
Thanks -- Ken
Isn't the AWD module synonymous with the TCCM? I don't think you need to look underneath the dash for anything for this diagnosis.... but I've been wrong before too.

How exactly did you ground the case? Did you check to see if Pin 46 on the harness connector had good ground too? You could have a broken wire in the harness.

Isn't the AWD module synonymous with the TCCM? I don't think you need to look underneath the dash for anything for this diagnosis.... but I've been wrong before too.

How exactly did you ground the case? Did you check to see if Pin 46 on the harness connector had good ground too? You could have a broken wire in the harness.
Well, I think you are right. I looked for an AWD module and I only get the TCCM module part #? I saw where the older Explorers had this module under the dash and assumed AWD and TCCM were 2 seperate modules communicating with each other. Now saw where one forum on another website that talked about AWD module under the seat replacement that fixed these same comm codes multiple SUV's. Sure looks the same.
FORscan does not see either AWD or TCCM listed under modules, again assuming it should see at least TCCM if had good Comm's??
I used a jumper wire clamped to ground stud to the module case flange and verified a grounded case with meter.
I didn't check cable connector pin 46. Any idea which fuse?
This should be a Power Train Warranty? I saw where someone said No and other said Yes. Wrench is what displays on dash after a short drive
Service 4WD, AWD and no drive mode selection, hill warning plus the other warnings on start up. Power Train to me.
Thank you for your reply!

Check your Owner's Manual but possibly Fuse #64 in the under hood box. 40 Amp. It's probably labeled Four-Wheel Drive Module.

Well, I think you are right. I looked for an AWD module and I only get the TCCM module part #? I saw where the older Explorers had this module under the dash and assumed AWD and TCCM were 2 seperate modules communicating with each other. Now saw where one forum on another website that talked about AWD module under the seat replacement that fixed these same comm codes multiple SUV's. Sure looks the same.
FORscan does not see either AWD or TCCM listed under modules, again assuming it should see at least TCCM if had good Comm's??
I used a jumper wire clamped to ground stud to the module case flange and verified a grounded case with meter.
I didn't check cable connector pin 46. Any idea which fuse?
This should be a Power Train Warranty? I saw where someone said No and other said Yes. Wrench is what displays on dash after a short drive
Service 4WD, AWD and no drive mode selection, hill warning plus the other warnings on start up. Power Train to me.
Thank you for your reply!
Update:
Pulled the connector OFF the TCCM/AWD module under the seat and did the grounding of wire #46 to the TCCM case stud.
This worked for my DEC 2019 built 2020 Explorer ST.
I did not follow the TSB exact instructions as I am not a big fan of crimped connections and vibration. 42 years as a Electronic Tech I have seen to many fails at the crimp over time. I used a #18 solid wire and just cut away a little insulation on the 46 wire. Wrapped tightly the solid wire around the #46, soldered them together. I used Fusion tape to wrap the connection, same tape you use on large motor lugs for insulation and the tape will melt together once wrapped. Wire tied all securely and used the TCCM case stud with a ring connector. Had my doubts but it worked!
I did not remove seat, you will have enough access once the seat is moved forward to pull OFF the connector work on it.
Took me about 1 1/2hr to do it, not hard just had to do some figuring out, bending to use both hands and few choice words.
Wire #46 is the ground shield wire for the 2 communiction wires TCMC+- #13 & 14 -- prevents noise interfering with data.
However Ford connected #46 to ground inside the module probably broke.
Good Luck and Thank You again for the information it really helped!
Ken

Update:
Pulled the connector OFF the TCCM/AWD module under the seat and did the grounding of wire #46 to the TCCM case stud.
I did not follow the TSB exact instructions as I am not a big fan of crimped connections and vibration. 42 years as a Electronic Tech I have seen to many fails at the crimp over time. I used a #18 solid wire and just cut away a little insulation on the 46 wire. Wrapped tightly the solid wire around the #46, soldered them together. I used Fusion tape to wrap the connection, same tape you use on large motor lugs for insulation and the tape will melt together once wrapped. Wire tied all securely and used the TCCM case stud with a ring connector. Had my doubts but it worked!
I did not remove seat, you will have enough access once the seat is moved forward to pull OFF the connector work on it.
Took me about 1 1/2hr to do it, not hard just had to do some figuring out, bending to use both hands and few choice words.
Wire #46 is the ground shield wire for the 2 communiction wires TCMC+- #13 & 14 -- prevents noise interfering with data.
Ken
So are all your instrument cluster messages and communication error codes gone now? Sounds like a modified TSB 23-2061 repair worked for you then! Awesome!

Update:
Ken
Thanks for the update!

Good news, I did what Ken shared yesterday, using a solid core #18 gauge wire grafted (soldered) onto #46 ground wire out of the main connector and grounded to the chassis using existing stud / nut and it worked!

🙌🙌🙌🙌

Checked every single system with Forscan and ever Is back to normal, also no more message popping up on the cluster!

Back in business, thank you all for the great tips, I will keep you updated if any changes ;)
:

So are all your instrument cluster messages and communication error codes gone now? Sounds like a modified TSB 23-2061 repair worked for you then! Awesome!
It took care of all the messages on the cluster when I did the mod.
Then I cleared everything up with Forscan, and since then, no issues.

The last time someone had so many different codes and were thinking speed sensor vs. axle hub actuator vs. transfer case vs. awd module... it ended up being the AWD module.

Unfortunately, I do believe proper firmware needs to be installed on the AWD module using FDRS. The reason I say this is that sometime MY2021, Ford replaced the axle hub actuator with an "intermediate shaft" that is not controlled by the awd module and therefore, has no wired plug (like the axle hub actuator has).

That said, I did read one case where the dealer actually found that the connector to the AWD module had come loose and once reinserted, the codes never came back. Maybe check that before you see the dealer. I have not read of any end user just swapping the AWD module themselves and calling it a day. That certainly would be cost effective though.
308-07A Four-Wheel Drive Systems Removal and Installation tells us that we need to

"upload the module configuration with a scan tool prior to removing the module. This information must be downloaded into the new all-wheel drive module after installation. Using a diagnostic tool, begin the PMI process for the all-wheel drive module following the on screen instruction."

I'm throwing Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) U102F-00. This is a failure at the AWD module -- my dash looks like a christmas tree. I went to Ford today and bought a new AWD module (L1MZ-7P238-A) for $124.28 after tax. I then returned it because I can't upload the module configuration and download everything needed after install. Not to mention, the install says to remove the driver side front seat and some trim.

Needless to say, I put the seat all the way up and forward and I was able to access the AWD module. It looks as though it can absolutely be removed WITHOUT having to take the seat out. I wiggled the harness on the AWD module and my DTC all cleared immediately. I'm willing to bet my specific issue is a bad ground. I may have to splice like mentioned in this thread earlier. The code eventually came back, so I wiggled the harness again. I then disconnected and reconnected the harness and so far so good...

I'm also debating going to the service center, having them upload my configuration, changing the module in the parking lot (it is 3 bolts from what I can see -- it looks like it can easily be removed with the proper extensions) and then have FORD "Use the scan tool to complete the Active Torque Coupling Configuration for the AWD module. My local dealer charges $140.00 for the service fee of the re-program. I'm just wondering if they're going to charge me twice... once to upload and another after install to download. I'm willing to bet a lot of money it can be replaced without seat removal...

308-07A Four-Wheel Drive Systems Removal and Installation tells us that we need to

"upload the module configuration with a scan tool prior to removing the module. This information must be downloaded into the new all-wheel drive module after installation. Using a diagnostic tool, begin the PMI process for the all-wheel drive module following the on screen instruction."

I'm throwing Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) U102F-00. This is a failure at the AWD module -- my dash looks like a christmas tree. I went to Ford today and bought a new AWD module (L1MZ-7P238-A) for $124.28 after tax. I then returned it because I can't upload the module configuration and download everything needed after install. Not to mention, the install says to remove the driver side front seat and some trim.

Needless to say, I put the seat all the way up and forward and I was able to access the AWD module. It looks as though it can absolutely be removed WITHOUT having to take the seat out. I wiggled the harness on the AWD module and my DTC all cleared immediately. I'm willing to bet my specific issue is a bad ground. I may have to splice like mentioned in this thread earlier. The code eventually came back, so I wiggled the harness again. I then disconnected and reconnected the harness and so far so good...

I'm also debating going to the service center, having them upload my configuration, changing the module in the parking lot (it is 3 bolts from what I can see -- it looks like it can easily be removed with the proper extensions) and then have FORD "Use the scan tool to complete the Active Torque Coupling Configuration for the AWD module. My local dealer charges $140.00 for the service fee of the re-program. I'm just wondering if they're going to charge me twice... once to upload and another after install to download. I'm willing to bet a lot of money it can be replaced without seat removal...
I did the splice thing without removing the seat or removing any trim. Just moved the seat to where I had the most access, separated the 2 ends of the carpet and it was enough.

For MY2020-2021 (builds 9/2019 - 12/2021), I suspect that grounding is the real culprit. Outside of the build dates specifieid in the TSB, you just do not hear of AWD modules going bad. If I were you, I'd try doing the TSB and grounding the specified lead on the harness to see if that works. Sounds like dealers are replacing the AWD modules because it's the easiest course of action. Unfortunately, if you are out of warranty, the owner is the one that suffers.

I did the splice thing without removing the seat or removing any trim. Just moved the seat to where I had the most access, separated the 2 ends of the carpet and it was enough.
And then you just spliced the actual wiring harness and connected the new lead to one of the nuts that holds the awd module to the chassis??

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

And then you just spliced the actual wiring harness and connected the new lead to one of the nuts that holds the awd module to the chassis??
Yes, I spliced from black / white lead #46 coming from connector onto chassis reusing one of the 3 bolts holding the module to the chassis

Back