2020 Explorer Issues - 4WD Fault, Pre Collision Assist Not Available, Service Advance Trac | Page 9 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2020 Explorer Issues - 4WD Fault, Pre Collision Assist Not Available, Service Advance Trac

Yes, I spliced from black / white lead #46 coming from connector onto chassis reusing one of the 3 bolts holding the module to the chassis
So you totally bypassed the ground in the module and hardwired lead #46 to the chassis?

My interpretation is:
1) remove pin 46 from harness and cut.
2) Splice in secondary ground wire and connect to chassis.
3) splice pin 46 that you removed and reconnect to new ground wire/harness connection.
4)Reconnect pin 46 to module.
5) Clear dtc and drive around.

So basically 2 splices to the existing wiring harness - 1 to the chassis and 1 through harness to make connection back to awd module.

Is this correct? I’ve read the tsb 20x and am still confused

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So you totally bypassed the ground in the module and hardwired lead #46 to the chassis?

My interpretation is:
1) remove pin 46 from harness and cut.
2) Splice in secondary ground wire and connect to chassis.
3) splice pin 46 that you removed and reconnect to new ground wire/harness connection.
4)Reconnect pin 46 to module.
5) Clear dtc and drive around.

So basically 2 splices to the existing wiring harness - 1 to the chassis and 1 through harness to make connection back to awd module.

Is this correct? I’ve read the tsb 20x and am still confused
I left #46 connector in place.

I removed some of the isolant from the B/W wire on the exposed part just passed the main connector and grafted (soldered) my external solid core ground wire on the bare part of the wire, and taped.
The other end of my new ground wire is held by one of the 3 module bolts.

This was a “test” temporarily fix I did to see if it would solve the issue, and so far, it works.

Just for curiosity sake and because I wanted the “FORD permanent fix”, I went to the dealership, printed TSB in hand and tried to get actual parts, and very “interestingly” they were in total shock to find out about the TSB and didn’t carry the parts.

So for the 5th time my 2020 ST has lit up like a Christmas tree when getting off of the highway. Warning lights come all at once: 4WD Fault Service Required, Service AdvanceTrac, Pre-Collision Assist Not Available, +Hill assist not available + Auto Hold Fault.

Warning lights immediately disappear when the car is restarted, and the car is not thrown into a limp mode when these issues come on.

I did some searching and the only experience I could find of something similar was on reddit and the car ended up getting lemoned without any specific root cause explained.

Going to call the dealer on Monday, but please reach out if you have had a similar experience or know someone that has!
I had the same issue with my 2020 ST a year ago. Plus it would not start intermittently and sometimes for a few minutes or a few hours. Dealt with it for months going back and forth to the dealer. They replaced every module and eventually got approval to replace the whole wire harness and since then, it’s been no trouble at all. They never could really pinpoint what the actual problem was, even when it happened at the shop and hooked up to diagnostics.

I would have thought by now ford would have put a recall out for this as it is a systemic issue with 2020 ST’s.

I left #46 connector in place.

I removed some of the isolant from the B/W wire on the exposed part just passed the main connector and grafted (soldered) my external solid core ground wire on the bare part of the wire, and taped.
The other end of my new ground wire is held by one of the 3 module bolts.

This was a “test” temporarily fix I did to see if it would solve the issue, and so far, it works.

Just for curiosity sake and because I wanted the “FORD permanent fix”, I went to the dealership, printed TSB in hand and tried to get actual parts, and very “interestingly” they were in total shock to find out about the TSB and didn’t carry the parts.
I saw the wiring kit on TASCA - it’s prob just overpriced wire lol.

what gauge did you use? 18awg?

I like the idea of stripping what you need and making a “temporary” connection. Just need to ensure i don’t accidentally cut through the wire when stripping that stranded wire LOL

I had the same issue with my 2020 ST a year ago. Plus it would not start intermittently and sometimes for a few minutes or a few hours. Dealt with it for months going back and forth to the dealer. They replaced every module and eventually got approval to replace the whole wire harness and since then, it’s been no trouble at all. They never could really pinpoint what the actual problem was, even when it happened at the shop and hooked up to diagnostics.

I would have thought by now ford would have put a recall out for this as it is a systemic issue with 2020 ST’s.
I also want to note that my dealer lent me a vehicle at their cost for the whole time they spent diagnosing the issues for the multiple trips and eventually replacing the wire harness. They were great.

I also want to note that my dealer lent me a vehicle at their cost for the whole time they spent diagnosing the issues for the multiple trips and eventually replacing the wire harness. They were great.
IMG_4683.jpeg

IMG_4682.jpeg

I saw the wiring kit on TASCA - it’s prob just overpriced wire lol.

what gauge did you use? 18awg?

I like the idea of stripping what you need and making a “temporary” connection. Just need to ensure i don’t accidentally cut through the wire when stripping that stranded wire LOL
I did use 18 gauge solid core wire ;)
Would you by any chance have a link to the wiring kit?

Do you all happen to have the part number for the sensor that was replaced that fixed this issue for your cars? My wife’s 2020 ST is having the same group of messages and relevant codes come up when scanned. The part number I was able to find is L1MZ-4B409-A.

Do you all happen to have the part number for the sensor that was replaced that fixed this issue for your cars? My wife’s 2020 ST is having the same group of messages and relevant codes come up when scanned. The part number I was able to find is L1MZ-4B409-A.
I'm having this too intermittently but also have some sort of drag or resistance (kinda like driving with the brake on) when making a U-turn and also turning out of a parking space and turning into my driveway. In 2 weeks it's happened about 3 or 4 times so it's very intermittent. I'm having this checked out soon. Last time was about 6 months ago and had the half-shaft sensor replaced under powertrain warranty. This time is may be something else. I'll report back what they find this time. I do use the auto-hold at all times so my theory is that is getting stuck on when moving from a stop.

The thing that gets me is Ford knows these AWD modules are faulty. People are now starting to report the codes in the TSB in greater numbers. Instead of the TSB repair, which would be the most cost-effective option, the dealers are just telling people their AWD module has failed and needs replacement. Per reports, some dealers are denying coverage under powertrain warranty even though this is a powertrain related component. It seems to me this should be a recall? I think about my wife's audi and recalls are rare but she's had a recall for vulnerability in the traction control module. Turns out, it's under the back seat and has no protection against spilled drinks and such. The Explorer's situation is far worse and apparently only affects AWD modules 9/2019-12/2021. Ford has me shaking my head on this one.

The thing that gets me is Ford knows these AWD modules are faulty. People are now starting to report the codes in the TSB in greater numbers. Instead of the TSB repair, which would be the most cost-effective option, the dealers are just telling people their AWD module has failed and needs replacement. Per reports, some dealers are denying coverage under powertrain warranty even though this is a powertrain related component. It seems to me this should be a recall? I think about my wife's audi and recalls are rare but she's had a recall for vulnerability in the traction control module. Ford has me shaking my head on this one.
I agree with this, should be a recall, no questions asked.
It is not a matter of if the module will fail but when.
More lucrative for them to turn the head in the other direction, pretending that the module is faulty and lie about the fact that it is not covered by the warranty, because it is.
We called the warranty people and they told us that it is under powertrain warranty and sent us a list of which parts aren’t covered and all I can say is that, it is hard to find something that isn’t covered at this point.
They also told us that if the dealership would give us the run around, they would intervene in our behalf.
Anyway, I fixed the issue, but I am expecting more issues to come unfortunately.
We are so frustrated with how Ford is handling this kind of situation and the many issues that we are considering leaving the brand.
We have already tested a few different options and we might switch hopefully soon..

Ford can’t locate the wiring kit for the bad ground TSB. They’re going to replace the pin, charge me 1 hour and if the repair fails they will install and program a new awd module for free (I pay for the module). Some dealerships go above and beyond still! I’m going to pay the hour instead of doing the splice myself. I’m happy.

I'm having this too intermittently but also have some sort of drag or resistance (kinda like driving with the brake on) when making a U-turn and also turning out of a parking space and turning into my driveway. In 2 weeks it's happened about 3 or 4 times so it's very intermittent. I'm having this checked out soon. Last time was about 6 months ago and had the half-shaft sensor replaced under powertrain warranty. This time is may be something else. I'll report back what they find this time. I do use the auto-hold at all times so my theory is that is getting stuck on when moving from a stop

I look forward to seeing what your outcome will be. Any idea what the part number is for the sensor?

I look forward to seeing what your outcome will be. Any idea what the part number is for the sensor?
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:

Peter

So for the 5th time my 2020 ST has lit up like a Christmas tree when getting off of the highway. Warning lights come all at once: 4WD Fault Service Required, Service AdvanceTrac, Pre-Collision Assist Not Available, +Hill assist not available + Auto Hold Fault.

Warning lights immediately disappear when the car is restarted, and the car is not thrown into a limp mode when these issues come on.

I did some searching and the only experience I could find of something similar was on reddit and the car ended up getting lemoned without any specific root cause explained.

Going to call the dealer on Monday, but please reach out if you have had a similar experience or know someone that has!
I have a 2020 Ford Explorer ST and mine started doing the same exact th8ng yesterday

I have a 2020 Ford Explorer ST and mine started doing the same exact th8ng yesterday
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
Your profile in the margin shows you have a 202 Explorer.:D

Peter

How many miles do you have? I had this happen at around 43K miles and now again at almost 50K miles.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back