Pre-Collision Assist Not Available | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Pre-Collision Assist Not Available

Casmit

Reaction score
City, State
Jacksonville, florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 explorer limited
Just picked up new explorer limited on Tuesday Night. Overall, I am loving it. This error message just popped up on left side of steering wheel. "Pre-Collision Assist Not Available". When you hit okay it goes away, but when you restart the car it pops up again. Does anyone know why I am getting this message? It's not weather related because its 65 degrees and sunny.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just picked up new explorer limited on Tuesday Night. Overall, I am loving it. This error message just popped up on left side of steering wheel. "Pre-Collision Assist Not Available". When you hit okay it goes away, but when you restart the car it pops up again. Does anyone know why I am getting this message? It's not weather related because its 65 degrees and sunny.
Did you confirm it (Collision Control) is turned ON?

Peter

It's turned on. The cruise control option is also grayed out and doesn't work. Ford is looking at it tomorrow.

Both use the radar module/control unit in the bumper. Something is causing it to malfunction or there is a bad connection.

Ford said the module stopped communicating with the car (defective) so they ordered a new one. Hopefully will be fixed next week

Took it Friday to The Ford Dealer I bought it from (1 hr away), the service manager told me it would be about a two hour repair, so I decided to wait. After about 1/2 hr service manager told me it was an all day job to replace the module and calibrate the sensor. I need to take car back on Monday. I asked service manager for a rental car because I have only owned the car for a few days and I wasted a few hrs driving to dealership and having the car repaired on Friday. They agreed to give me a rental car when they repair mine. Hopefully the problem will be fixed.

Took it Friday to The Ford Dealer I bought it from (1 hr away), the service manager told me it would be about a two hour repair, so I decided to wait. After about 1/2 hr service manager told me it was an all day job to replace the module and calibrate the sensor. I need to take car back on Monday. I asked service manager for a rental car because I have only owned the car for a few days and I wasted a few hrs driving to dealership and having the car repaired on Friday. They agreed to give me a rental car when they repair mine. Hopefully the problem will be fixed.

Good thing they are giving you a rental because the labor time for this part is only 1 hour.

Calibration isn't that hard. They set the vertical alignment with a level and the adjusting screw. Then you run the scan tool to set the horizontal alignment.

It would take longer to align your chassis than to do this.

I made appt on for Friday and they told me two hours. I showed up Friday and they told me it was an all day repair and then they had to run the car for two hours after it was repaired to calibrate it. I was pretty annoyed because I wasted Friday and they weren't going to work on it. I am glad I'm getting a rental but if they could repair it in two hours I would rather wait.

Ford replaced cruise control module and reprogrammed it on Monday. Picked up Explorer on Tuesday. It worked fine until today. About 1/2 way on a 150 mile trip, the Pre-collision assist not available and adaptive cruise not available error lights came on. After I reached my destination, I shut down and restarted car. Pre-Collision assist and cruise control and not available again. ugh. The car only has a few hundred miles on it.

Ugh sorry to hear about your issues...I hope this gets resolved quickly.

Got car back today. Ford performed c-cm horizontal alignment procedure with seems to have resolved the problem. Hopefully that's what was wrong.

That's good news hope that took care of the issue.

Got car back today. Ford performed c-cm horizontal alignment procedure with seems to have resolved the problem. Hopefully that's what was wrong.

That would mean they didn't do it right when they replaced it. Just FYI.

Took first road trip (~150 miles) today since it was for fixed second time on December 22 and about 100 miles into trip pre-collision assist and cruise control shut off again. Ugh. Almost becoming funny. Rest of car is great.

Took first road trip (~150 miles) today since it was for fixed second time on December 22 and about 100 miles into trip pre-collision assist and cruise control shut off again. Ugh. Almost becoming funny. Rest of car is great.

They said before they lost communication with the module. Sounds like they need to check the CAN communication wiring from the module to the first CAN block it connects to and also the power and grounds. Communication wires shut down, it looses communication. Power or grounds disconnected, it looses communication.

Here is how I would approach the issue.

Connect scan tool and keep and see if I can communicate.
Once connected to the module go into the section where you can read values such as the distance the sensor is currently reading.

While its doing this wiggle the wiring harness in various spots. When the readings go crazy or the module drops communication you have found the problem area.

Since this is a brand new vehicle it sounds to me like a harness issue. Pinched wire, broken wire in the insulation, spread terminal, or softset connection.

EDIT:

Well after looking at the diagrams of the network topology (From a 2012 model, which should be pretty close to a 2016 facelift), it probably won't be the CAN lines.

From the OBD-II port the CAN lines piggy back off each module and joint connector with the PCM being at the very end of these runs. Right before the PCM the Cruise control module is the last node.

If one of these CAN wires shorted or had an open circuit, I think your vehicle would throw an ungodly amount of errors since every module just lost communication with the PCM.

This really leaves power/ground issues in my opinion.

I will show this to service manager or mention to him go check the harness wiring. Thank you

I will show this to service manager or mention to him go check the harness wiring. Thank you

Read my last statement above. I submitted my edits after this post.

Still need to do the wiggling.

Just retread your post, I will mention for them to look into power/ground issues

Update from Ford: The dealership has been working with a Ford engineer to determine what is going on with the car. At this time they feel that the bracket holding the module is defective and is allowing the module to move, thus losing calibration and communication with the car. A new bracket has been ordered and should be in tomorrow and they will do some testing to see if the module works. (Hopefully that is the problem. If it isn't we may not know for a few hundred miles because it works for a little while then stops.)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Update from Ford: The dealership has been working with a Ford engineer to determine what is going on with the car. At this time they feel that the bracket holding the module is defective and is allowing the module to move, thus losing calibration and communication with the car. A new bracket has been ordered and should be in tomorrow and they will do some testing to see if the module works. (Hopefully that is the problem. If it isn't we may not know for a few hundred miles because it works for a little while then stops.)

Any update?

I picked up a 2016 today with the same problem. :mad:

I'm hoping I don't have as much trouble as you have had to get it fixed.

Back