Preparation for SAS in 1999 Sport | Page 6 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Preparation for SAS in 1999 Sport

The price of scrap right now may have made it worth a trip to unload the IFS.

With all of the scrap that comes out of the shop, I agree! Pays for all of the adult beverages for the guys.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Also, I have a set of 265/75R16 BFG AT's that are like 95%. These are what was on the "White Knight" in its stock form. Those are also for sale. They are load range E's too! Let me know guys.

So here are some teaser pix:

This is what the White Knight looked like before going under the knife:
Stock.jpg

Here is picture after the stock 8.8 fell out:
MissingSomething.jpg

Here is the 9" hung on the new leafs:
Axle2.jpg

Axle1.jpg

Here are some teasers.....
Teaser1.jpg

Teaser.jpg

I am at a sort of stand still until I get my radius arm extensions. They are scheduled to be here today. As soon as they show, it is on again! I need to locate the axle with these in order to start fabrication on the cross-member and the steering box. I am going nuts just sitting and waiting! I could be doing some grinding and the brake lines, but want it on all fours before starting this stuff.

Here is a question that is bothering me a little bit. I believe that I have the BW4404 or BW4405 transfer case in my build. It is all wheel drive and I have done the brown wire mod, if that helps to figure out which one I might have. I noticed that the front driveline is not going to work in any way shape or form. I will have a front shaft built, but don't have a typical output shaft on the front side of the transfer case. Can this be converted? How will a drive shaft be made? I know that I will eventually be going to an Atlas II, but for the time being would like to utilize the stocker. Please chime in if you have any information on this.

Is it AWD or A4wd? If it's a V6 it's A4wd and V8 it's AWD. V8= 4404 V6= 4405.
Either way it's not a stock front shaft.

Is it AWD or A4wd? If it's a V6 it's A4wd and V8 it's AWD. V8= 4404 V6= 4405.
Either way it's not a stock front shaft.

It is a V6 "Auto" 4WD, so this means that I have the 4405. What do you mean by "Either way it's not a stock front shaft."?

I may have mis-spoke. I don't know that for sure. What front axle are you using? I'm assuming a full width from a jeep or older bronco? The d-shaft is probably going to have a different u joint size on the pinion end. Any drive train shop worth their own can probably take your stock shaft and adapt the pinion end to match the axle.

I may have mis-spoke. I don't know that for sure. What front axle are you using? I'm assuming a full width from a jeep or older bronco? The d-shaft is probably going to have a different u joint size on the pinion end. Any drive train shop worth their own can probably take your stock shaft and adapt the pinion end to match the axle.

I agree with what you are stating and maybe I need to clarify my question. I will need to adapt the transfer case side of the drive shaft also...? It is not a U-joing or CV type connection. It is that "spherical joint". Is there a conversion for this?

Yeah you're right. I forgot about that. I misunderstood what you were saying.You will have to change the output yoke on the front side. The stock shaft doesn't allow for suspension travel. There's only enough play to remove and install the shaft. That shouldn't be an issue though. Earlier versions had the u joint type yoke on them so swapping it should be no problem. Then you can use a shaft from an earlier year.

This is what I was looking for. So do I need to get a yoke out of a 4404? Would there be a better recommendation other then an Atlas II?

No, the 4404 has the same output yoke. You need one from an earlier 4405 or possibly an earlier 1354. When I get home I'll find a link I have that shows all the various t-cases and their outputs and I'll post it for you. On the Atlas II thats a pretty stout unit, and from what I've seen pricey too. It would really depend on how hard you're going to be wheeling it. The Atlas II should hold up to pretty much anything you throw at it. If you're not that hardcore than a BW13-54 would be good I would think. The 1354 is a part time 4wd case without the auto control trac like the 4405. Has 2wd-4hi-4lo ranges. If I remember correctly the Atlas has a lower crawl ratio in 4lo as well.

Awesome!!! This is what I needed some help in. For the time being, a stock transfer case will work. I like how I am able to put it into "2 LO" (brown wire mod) and just cruise at slow speeds without having to be in a certain gear to crawl up hills and through trails. This is why I am keeping this stocker until I do the Atlas II.

Looks like she will be a 2x4 for a short period. I am going to have to find one and get em swapped.

Finally got a chance to upload some pictures....

Cross member bushings. I maded these out of some scrap .250 tubing and plated the ends. Then I drilled holes through them. These will go in the old IFS frame brackets.

photobucket-6254-1322747315580.jpg

photobucket-5533-1322747334956.jpg

Here is the passenger side installed:

photobucket-3801-1322747387355.jpg

Same side but only from the front with a washer welded on the outsides of the stock bracket:

photobucket-3603-1322747371780.jpg

Here are both installed:

photobucket-6170-1322747355512.jpg

Here is my first piece of tubing that I have ever bent. I was really proud of this! This is the engine bay crossmember with the bushings shown above welded to it. It is out of 1-1/2" .120 wall tubing:

photobucket-7971-1322747404174.jpg

Here she is all done!!!!

photobucket-4806-1322747422632.jpg

Just kidding, although I wished. I just took this picture to show the ride height. I am going to move the front axle forward about 2-4 inches. Haven't decided just yet.

I did install the radius arm extensions and am not happy with where they land. So I ordered a set of Cage Offroad Extended Radius Arms. Tracking says they will be here on December 2nd...that is tomorrow!!! As soon as those show up, I will be able to weld the brackets to the frame and should be good (if my calculations are correct). Then I will have a rolling chasis and can move to the steering and brakes. A friend that is helping me had a 1979 Ford F-150 steering gear box just sitting on his bench. He gave her to me! So that is the route I will be taking for my steering. It is a monster box too. Gonna have to find some real-estate for it this weekend. I will keep you guys updated.

Looking good !

So I finally figured out what the route I am going to take on my transfer case. It is going to be a 1350/1354 doubler. It is going to cost about $600. I think the 5.13's are going to be too deep now....might look into 4.56's or 4.88's.

Nice man, I have a 98' Sport going under the knife right now with a SAS. I went with the 1350/1354 Doubler and man I can't wait to go LOW LOW.... Trying to get it done before my wife and I drive to Colorado for the holidays.... first time it will be on the road as a 4wd (it was 2wd before the swap). Good luck with it, will be following the build. And can't wait to see it on some trails

I may have missed it, but did you put rear lift springs on also? 4 in and axle under with no body lift, thats what it looks like just checking. What size tires?

Thank you, looking great!!! I would go with 1st Gen Sport style steering box inside the frame rail, they work nicely... :)

Edit I found the tires, still not sure on springs looks like more than stock height with an axle under.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Nice man, I have a 98' Sport going under the knife right now with a SAS. I went with the 1350/1354 Doubler and man I can't wait to go LOW LOW.... Trying to get it done before my wife and I drive to Colorado for the holidays.... first time it will be on the road as a 4wd (it was 2wd before the swap). Good luck with it, will be following the build. And can't wait to see it on some trails

What part of Colorado? We are in Pueblo. We may have to hook up if they are both done by then.

Back