Preparation for SAS in 1999 Sport | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Preparation for SAS in 1999 Sport

I just prefer the narrow width for a few reason's

The coils can be mounted straight to the frame. No spacing required.

The roads in Colorado are skinny skinny. I like the --old gauge railroad width

I am of the opinion a narrow width should result in less wind resistance up front. Hopefully this helps with fuel efficiency.Narrow tires also help this, however they look real goofy on full width axles.

The tires will stick out less of course

And looking at your pro list, at this point I know what I would do. You would have the opportunity to triangulate and 4 link it instead of welding in wedges, and avoid a trac bar.

You might find fitting and spacing the coils to be as time consuming as shaving the axle.

It is easy for me to say this though since I am just watching this happen.

Stic-o has full width axles on his truck, and I like the narrow track he has achieved with the wheel offset and back spacing. . However, it is still about 3" wider than the narrowed width axle.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Turdle,

I agree with you about Stic-o's set up. I just finished reading about 95% of his build post and think that I will mock mine very similar to his with some other modifications that I have found throughout this site. To me, his is just about the perfect set up of width and height....not to mention that it works extremely well. I just hope that I have as many guys helping me with input as he had. I think that I am set on the full width set up.

So I am going to buy gears within the next few days and know that there has been a lot of discussion on which ratio will work best. I want to do 5.13's and either 35's or 37's, but am leaning towards the 37's. I wouldn't mind running a little higher RPM at 75MPH, but don't want to be redlined either.

So here's the question: Should I run 4.88's, 5.13's, or steeper if I am going to run 37's and still want to be able to cruise at highway speeds? Thanks for any help or input guys.

UPDATE....

So I have decided to go with the full width D44 and 9". I will have both of the axles this weekend and am leaning towards the 5.13 ratio. I think that this will be the best all around for the time being. I have been talking a bit with the guys at James Duff and think that I may go with their coil spring towers, spring retainers, and maybe even their full size bronco long travel radius arm kit. I am going to stay with the high steer arms for steering and go with tie rods. Once I get the gears and lockers installed, I am going to begin chopping her up.....

The 9" arrived today! Going to order gears this week. Here are some pix.

DSC00087.jpg

DSC00088.jpg

You can see the boss mans feet in the first one. Starting to get really excited!

***SMALL UPDATE***

So I was able to get some time to myself this weekend and pulled the 9" apart. I am excited to find out that the axles are 31 spline. Everything was in working order, but will all be torn apart in order to do a disk brake conversion, full rebuild kit with all new seal, gears, locker, and of course some new paint. I have pictures of the tear down and will post them tonight. Hopefully this axle will be completed by this weekend and ready for paint!

Here are some pictures from the tear down:

DSC00158.jpg

DSC00157.jpg

DSC00156.jpg

Here is the axle tag:
DSC00154.jpg

31 Spline axles with the big bearing:
DSC00152.jpg

I will be using 5.14 gears, the rebuild kit has been ordered and the ARB will be here this week. Also, my stock EX 8.8 axle has 4.10 gears and disc brakes if anyone would be interested in purchasing it. The Dana 44 that I will be using for the SAS has 4.10's also, with a Detroit locker that has never be used...any takers. Please let me know.

Question for anyone who has done this or that is still watching. Which springs for the rear. I know that everyone seems to favor the explorer 4-door type springs versus the Ex Sport single spring (I will be doing a spring over). Should I just use OE replacements, or should I go with an aftermarket set. I believe that the spring over is going to give me the 4.5" -5" of lift that I am looking for. Would aftermarkets be more "flexy"? Some input would be great. Thanks guys.

if you got the cash, get some Deaver's.

I just did some looking, and they want $600.00 for those babies! Don't think I will be going that route.

My ARB locker for my 9" and air compressor just shipped. The person who is setting my gears had a set of Richmond 5.14's that he gave me.....starting to get excited!!!

My ARB locker and compressor just arrived. I will also be adding this engagement collar during the installation of my gears. This is a must have for Ford 9" owners running an ARB locker.

(Information Below Taken From Manufacturer Website)

If you are after the ultimate in performance from your ARB RD-99 9" Air Locker you have come to the right place. With your help during our year long comprehensive testing process, we have perfected our own version of the RD-99 engagement collar that is absolutely GUARANTEED to outperform your factory ARB setup.

The Engagement Collars are all in-house CNC machined from high grade, high strength 4340 chromoly steel. After machining, special care is taken into the proprietary heat treatment process that provides this engagement collar's superior strength and wear resistance. In addition to improvements in material and heat treatment, the shape of our engagement collars are also unique, further aiding in engagement and disengagement under your lockers normal operating loads.

EngagementCollar.jpg

Gears are being set with the ARB this week. Gonna install the compressor this weekend (any reccomendations on location?). Put the disk brake conversion kit together (home-made) with the calipers, pads (pictures after I assemble), and will get the rotors as soon as I have the axle bearings pressed off/on. The 9" will only need spring perches welded on, some paint, and it will be complete.

Looking good. Can't wait to see how it all turns out.

Looking good. Can't wait to see how it all turns out.

Thank you!

So today it was killing me. I left work to get my axle bearings pressed off and the new ones pressed on. I bought the new bearings, axle seals, and rotors for the disc brake conversion. The bearings were pressed on without an issue. When the axle is now installed into the housing (with the old seals in tact), the bearing still has a reveal of about 1/8"-3/16" that protrudes out of the housing. What would cause this? Are these the incorrect bearings? I know that there should only be 2 models...1 for the 28 spline and 1 for the 31 spline axles right? I may just be too tired and am missing something, but this is a pretty simple install......any help would be great. Thanks in advance!

'01 XLT IFS to SAS?

This is my second x, and so far with both I've been discouraged with lifts due to sticker shock of $2K. I'm on board with the SOA rear, but am lost in this thread!

Can anyone simplify all parts needed with the least fabrication.
IE: what year, make, model axle is "best choice" without modifying width?
how high is stock "spring UNDER axle" to SOA conversion total
Matching THAT measurement in front, what size tires would be best
(33's, 35's?)

**Basically, does anyone have the time to do a full write up, with pictures
on the SAS?** I have SOME experience and help from someone with A LOT of
experience, but would like to have the collective experience and advice from ya'll
before I dig deep! I want his help, not have him do it for me...

Thanks everyone!!

This is my second x, and so far with both I've been discouraged with lifts due to sticker shock of $2K. I'm on board with the SOA rear, but am lost in this thread!

(33's, 35's?)

experience, but would like to have the collective experience and advice from ya'll

Thanks everyone!!

there are numerous threads on doing a SAS on 2nd gens.

lots of them here: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=63

least fabrication? leaf springs.
what axle? well that depends on whether you want full width or not.
Full width, pretty much any Ford axle as they are all driver's side drop. There are others, though.
Explorer width? good luck finding an early Bronco D44 and 9"; preferably the, what is it, 68-77 that have disc brakes?

need more info? spend some time searching/browsing, or start your own thread instead.

(33's, 35's?)

Thanks everyone!!

I know that all of this can be overwhelming, but I have wanted to do an SAS since high school...just one of my bucket list items I guess. I read EVERY SINGLE SAS registry on this forum and compiled all of my ideas and thoughts from there. These guys on here are very educating. You will see pictures from start to finish with most part numbers and dimensions. The things that you will have trouble with are the small details....like I am having. Once you read some of these, you will have the fever too!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

too late!

I've already got the fever. I played around a little with TT today and was shocked at the result. I started lookin at the rear to see what I could do to match the front "lift". Finding the springs under the axle, I was stumped (used to the F-150 with the SOA. So I faithfully checked out ya'lls ideas and SOA is definitly planned. Which brings me back to matching the front with the back! LOL.

Next step.. get the items for the SAS and do the SOA at the same time. BUT I don't know where to start...

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction!

Tif & Lav

Back