• Register Today It's free!

Preparation for SAS in 1999 Sport

wickedrigs

Reaction score
City, State
Colorado
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 XLT
I am not sure if I am posting this in the correct thread, but I want to do a SAS in my 1999 Sport without reinventing the wheel. I have read just about every SAS thread that I can find and there are some guys on here that are AWESOME FABRICATORS! I dont want to go 100% extreme and make my ride a complete trail rig but still want to be able to drive it daily (I know...can't have your cake and eat it too). But many of you have said that after the SAS, the vehicle handles and rides better then stock. I would like to have some recommendations on ease of installation, cost, and performance. So this is where I would like some input on things that you would have done differently. I can't make up my mind with all of the different options that everyone has done.

Axle: I want to do a Dana 44 but do not want to go full length. Should I find a full length and cut it down or find a different axle (if so, does anyone have a specific make/model)?

Leafs: This, in my eyes, will be the cheapest and easiest to do.

Coils: This will be a little more pricey, but will ride a ton better and "should" even flex better. If I go with coils would a 3-link, 4-link, or radius arms be recommended?

Coil-overs: The cost with these will go up even more, but the ride will be great and install to the axle side will be a bit easier.

I am going to keep the stock 8.8 and add wheel spaces. I would like to run a 35" tire and 4.88 gears or 5.13's. Would a Dana 44 out of a new Jeep Rubicon be my best bet? Some input would be great guys. Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

subscribed

Rubicon axle would be the easiest, I would imagine that you could keep your ABS with that axle. That axle would be pretty pricey though.

Most use the early ford bronco axle (if you can find one). I can't remember what years, you have to be careful because some years had d35s and some had 44's. This will be the same width or at least close enough to the explorer. You can also use the existing radius arm setup and modify it to the ex pretty easy.

If you get a full width d44 you can shorten it, but you will then need custom shafts, or if you do it right you might be able to use early bronco shafts.

If you won't be working this too hard, a d35 out of a jeep would probably be the cheapest option, but it will limit you if you want to go bigger.

66-77 Ford Bronco.
But as kert0307 said, I believe they were D30 up until 69 or 70.
And you can get a matching 9" from same years to get matching bolt pattern without getting spacers.
As for 9", iirc, it's a crap-shoot whether you get a big bearing or small bearing, but either would be sufficient.

Thanks for all of the input. Would there be any reasons for not going with a leaf spring set up? These seem to flex well enough for what I want to do, will not have too many issues with steering geometry, and can be done pretty cheap to.

I think you will get tighter steering with coils, which as you know is nice for the Colorado switchbacks. I would also stay with the narrow axles for this reason.

I will begin the search today for an axle. I am going to begin looking for a Dana 44 out of a newer Jeep Rubicon.

Already found a Rubicon 44 and a '75 Ford Bronco Dana 44. Lookin good so far!!!

wait... why a Jeep Dana 44 rear axle?

edit: err... ok, didn't know they started usin 'em in front axle applications.

JK or TJ rubi 44? Does the factory locker still work?

JK, and yes. He has the front and rear with only 10,000 miles on them. Trying to get him to split them up....

Update...found the axle that I am going to use. It will be a dana 44 out of an earlier Ford Bronco. Also found a link with some information stating that James Duff may be producing a bolt on SAS kit for Bronco II's and Ranger's. It is in R&D right now. I am hoping that they will send me the kit to try on the Explorer....

Update...found the axle that I am going to use. It will be a dana 44 out of an earlier Ford Bronco. Also found a link with some information stating that James Duff may be producing a bolt on SAS kit for Bronco II's and Ranger's. It is in R&D right now. I am hoping that they will send me the kit to try on the Explorer....

The JD SAS kit that ThatFabGuy is testing for them?

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=282889

So I will be picking up my axle tonight. It is an axle that the owners brother was putting together for a project and gave up on. It is a high pinon Dana 44 out of an early Ford Bronco. It is complete minus the radius arms. Comes with the spindles, rotors, tie rods, etc. Not sure what gears are in it, but it also comes with a set that is still in the box (hope they are 5.13's!). I will get it tomorrow and will be giving him a whopping $200! I am stoked!!!

EB's did not have high pinion front axles.
the only high pinion axles were full-width axles.

So it's either a high pinion that's been cut to size, or it's a low pinion.

I haven't seen it yet, but he states that it is a high pinon in the description. He said that it is roughly 60". I don't know if it has been chopped or not. But for $200, I really don't care. Here are the numbers on it 449F and 620072H.

I haven't seen it yet, but he states that it is a high pinon in the description. He said that it is roughly 60". I don't know if it has been chopped or not. But for $200, I really don't care. Here are the numbers on it 449F and 620072H.

Early Bronco axles were ~58" WMS to WMS

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So I'm assuming that it is out of an early Bronco. $200 is a damn good price for everything....

Back