Preparation for SAS in 1999 Sport | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Preparation for SAS in 1999 Sport

subscribed and loving the build!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So I FINALLY found rotors that will work in all dimension. I went through 7 different sets and ended up with rotors off of a Dodge Dakota. So here are some images of my home made disc brake conversion for my 9", sorry for the mess in the background...too many things going all at once:

DSC00163.jpg

DSC00162.jpg

DSC00161.jpg

Now I need some help from the Ford 9" guru's. Look at the images below and remeber that this axle had drum brakes. When I bought the new axle bearings and had them pressed on, the axle does not seem to full seat. Note: There is NOT a 3rd member installed in these images. I spoke with a local shop and showed him the issue and he stated to just add washers between the flange and backing plate. Does this seem correct? I have looked at every bearing option possible for this axle....I think. Worst case, I was going to fab a plate that would fit in this location and give me a "better seal". Any thouhgts would be great.

DSC00164.jpg

DSC00165.jpg

I am also going to heavily tack my spring perches on today. Would it be wise the add 2 degrees of pinion angle, or should I stay with the stock angle? I know that this could help with wear on U-joints, driveling vibration, and also help to protect that carrier a bit more. Open for suggestions.....

I was told that this is normal and I am going to fab a 1/8" plate to sit in this location for cleanliness and bearing protection. I got the axle polished and ready for paint....waiting on my 3rd member to get done. I am going to do the 3rd member in gray and the housing in black (POR 15). The guy is taking forever setting the gears and such, but it's free so I'll live.

DSC00165.jpg

Hey all! It has been a while. I have been super busy and had some other medical crap go on. All seems to be good now. I am going to get my 9" back this week and hopefully begin the disc brake kit. Then I will dismantle the entire 9" and prepare for paint.

A friend told me about using a steering gear box out of a 1979 Ford F-150. He said that this is one of the strongest gear boxes to use. Any thoughts on this? I will also begin my search on the topic too. I think this is the route I am headed. I WILL complete this build....

Any input on the gearbox....? Anybody?

I ordered some 0.120 wall for my front hoops and also all of my heims for my track-bar yesterday. The 3rd member is done, axle has been prepared for paint, I have my spring perches and just need to get rear springs and U-bolts. Then the rear end will be ready for install minus shocks and wheels of course.

If you can fit the steering box go ahead and use it. I think others have used 1st gen Explorer boxes or Toyota boxes mostly for space issues.

I was told that the older F-150 box is the way to go if it fits. I may buy one and try it. If not, I am going to go with a second gen toyota box. Then I can upgrade to hyro assist if need be.

Here is what I have added to my collection so far:

I ordered my trackbar kit:
panhard%20kit.jpg

I ordered a bunch of 0.250 DOM wall tubing to extend the stock radius arms and am going to use 7/8" rod ends to connect to the frame:
7815ID.jpg

I ordered my steering supplies and am going to punch 7/8" holes in my high steer arms, am put the tapered bushing in, just in case I want to convert to heims in the future:
ylink.jpg

Tapered%20insert.jpg

I believe this is the route I am going to take on the rear leafs for now.

http://www.sdtrucksprings.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=1503

I would like some input on these if others that have done the SAS can chime in. I believe that this will give me a descent ride, good flex and about 5-1/2"-6" of lift in the rear. After the rear is set, I will order my coil-overs and match them to the rear ride height.

I am hoping to begin this tear down, and have it 90% complete by Christmas. Just need some "ME" time at the shop. Any input on this would be great guys!

subbed... things seem to be moving along great, wish i could say the same for my SAS, btw that dodge looks awesome!

So here is what else showed up this week:

9%20inch%20pinion%20guard%202.jpg

Simple%20Swap%20with%20Shock%20Brackets.jpg.jpg

Just because of time limitations, some of this stuff is easier to buy then to build. I also ordered the stock Explorer 4-door leaf springs this morning. They should be here by Friday. I hope that it's not too big. Looking for 6" of lift in order to run 35's-37's. I think that I have everything for the rear end minus some of the fittings and some custom brake lines.

I need to decide on the steering gear box for the front, some brake components, wheels, and tires...then I can begin cutting.

My tires came in this week. 315/70R17 Pro Comp Extreme Mud Terrains. I am afraid that they are going to be too small...should have gone with 37's. See what happens.

My new dilema is that I would like to run my track bar with heims at both ends. I think that I am going to have to have a bolt machined with a taper in order to utilize the stock track bar mounting location. Then just taper ream the stock mounting location. Does anyone know of a conversion for this, or a kit that already has this bolt machined so that I can just taper the stock mounting location on the axle? Please chime in.

So my office computer is being CRAP right now, but the rear is almost complete! Got the rear axle hung with the disc brakes and put the wheels and tires on...she is BIG. Think I may have to cut the shackles a bit. I would like to see it sit about an inch lower in the rear and use that for my ride height. I will post some pictures as soon as I get to my home computer.

I did all of this on Saturday (11/19/2011) afternoon, and was so excited that I woke up on Sunday at 3:30AM. I couldn't sleep. I didn't work on it Sunday though, the other half had some other plans for me. I am going to un-bolt everything off of the front tonight. Use my "SUN-STICK" (plasma) to get the remaining off on Tuesday, and start the grinding on Wednesday. I am hoping to have the front pretty well mocked up and "rolling by Friday". I know there is always issues. This is my goal. I will have to wait until next week to get the coil-overs ordered and maybe some other misc. parts. but have the main part almost completed.

:popcorn:

Any input on the gearbox....? Anybody?

I'm going with the steering box out of a one ton chevy van. it is an out side the frame box.

but! PSC makes a rock ram conversion for it so you can have hydraulic assist in the future if needed.

I went and picked up the complete steering system including the power steering pump to go with the steering box

I'm going with the steering box out of a one ton chevy van. it is an out side the frame box.

but! PSC makes a rock ram conversion for it so you can have hydraulic assist in the future if needed.

I went and picked up the complete steering system including the power steering pump to go with the steering box

What year did that box come out of?

Here is the latest guys. I am beat and have the big Turkey day stuff to get ready for, so I will upload some pictures this week.

I have all of the IFS cut out! I have the 9" hung on the rear leafs with the wheels, tires, and disc brake conversion 100% complete. I just need to do the axle seals, weld the perches, run the rear brake lines, run the ARB air line and that side will done.

I have all of the IFS crap cut out and put in the dumpster (anyone need a front diff with 4.10's or a rear 8.8 with 4.10's and disc brakes???). Cutting all of that was not fun and I give major props to those that do it on the ground with grinders. I used my "sun-stick" and have a lift and it still wasn't fun. The front axle is complete and I also ordered the Stone Crusher Steering radius arm extensions. Those will be here friday. The ride height is perfect. It sags a little more on the driver's side in the rear then the passenger and is pretty noticeable. I think the 35's will be perfect.....for now. As soon as the extensions come in, I can begin. The only thing that has me a little flustered is the steering box. I think it will be easier when I actually decide on which one to use.

I ordered shock towers for my coilovers and just picked up a "new" company that carries some really nice ones. Once I get my ride height, those will be ordered. There are a few things that are still in the back of my mind that may be problematic, but they will be sorted out in the end. I think that I can have her on her own four by the end of this week.

I stood and stared for like 40 minutes in disbelief that I was actually completeing this....finally. I am so stoked. I just want to go run her through the woods right now.

That is all for now. For everyone watching, have a Happy Thanksgiving!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The price of scrap right now may have made it worth a trip to unload the IFS.

Back