Preparation for SAS in 1999 Sport | Page 8 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Preparation for SAS in 1999 Sport

Sorry to hear-ridiculous what people do.

Agreed. They finally caught the guys and turns out it was a theft ring. Of course none of my stuff or my customers stuff was recovered. But they all did admit to hitting our shop.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So, it has been a while since I have posted any updates. But I have come to my final decision on what steering box I am going with and hope to have it mounted next week. I am going to go with a Toyota FJ60 box. The IFS box wouldn't work the way I had hoped because of the dimension that I moved the front axle forward. This box will work perfectly.

So, it has been a while since I have posted any updates. But I have come to my final decision on what steering box I am going with and hope to have it mounted next week. I am going to go with a Toyota FJ60 box. The IFS box wouldn't work the way I had hoped because of the dimension that I moved the front axle forward. This box will work perfectly.

So the FJ60 box has been "temporarily" drilled and bolted in place, all of the DOM tubing has been cut to length for the steering and heims/TRE's tacked in.

- Still need to figure out the steering shaft.
- Run steering lines.
- Need to run all of the brake lines.
- Need to get fluids in the axles and install all of the misc. axle seals.
- Get dimensions for my coil overs and decide on hoops/towers.

I think she will be road worthy after all of this. I am not going to have but around 5"-7" of upward travel in the front, but am hoping to make up for it in the droop. Does anyone see any issues with this. I know it will keep my tires from eating my fenders and other things, but because of how horizontal the radius arms are there isn't much of a choice. I will get some pix up this weekend!!!

So the FJ60 box has been "temporarily" drilled and bolted in place, all of the DOM tubing has been cut to length for the steering and heims/TRE's tacked in.

- Still need to figure out the steering shaft.
- Run steering lines.
- Need to run all of the brake lines.
- Need to get fluids in the axles and install all of the misc. axle seals.
- Get dimensions for my coil overs and decide on hoops/towers.

I think she will be road worthy after all of this. I am not going to have but around 5"-7" of upward travel in the front, but am hoping to make up for it in the droop. Does anyone see any issues with this. I know it will keep my tires from eating my fenders and other things, but because of how horizontal the radius arms are there isn't much of a choice. I will get some pix up this weekend!!!

Spent the past week working on her here and there. Got the power steering lines in and was able to start the pig after sitting for almost 8 months. Good to hear that pur again. This past monday, I order a set of 12" ORI struts that should be here soon for the front. Need to figure out the rear shocks. My goal is to have her on the road by the end of the month. Here are a few pix! Let me know what you guys think....

photobucket-24946-1336315418430.jpg

photobucket-10324-1336315439338.jpg

photobucket-30344-1336315399927.jpg

photobucket-26373-1336315460142.jpg

I think it's gonna work for now. I can't wait to have her back. Gonna do the front brake lines and bleed them out tonight. Should be able to drive her in and out of the shop on her own power.....hopefully....

Just got home from the shop. Need to add some updated pictures. Hoping to have her on the road this weekend. For the most part, just waiting on my ORI 12" struts, need rear shocks, weld the hoops in, front gears (gonna make sure the 5.13's are good before I get a set for the front), alignment, and she should be road worthy. I am getting so excited!!!

Looking forward to updated pics!!

Congrats. I always wanted to stay IFS, but whatevev is easiest and most available im going for now.
Cant wait for more pics!

So I received some new goodies in the mail:

photobucket-12708-1338849419693.jpg

Got the shock mounts welded on and here is what they look like. These are 12" Bilstein 5150's:

photobucket-4706-1338849469040.jpg

Here is another picture:

photobucket-8264-1338849503791.jpg

I ordered 12" ORI Struts for the front. They will be here tomorrow!!! Have the front hoops all bent up and just need to add some tabs for them to mount to. Not sure if the 5.13's are gonna be the gears that I want, so I am just going to have a front open diff for the time being. Will decide after some miles have been put on. I will update this a bit more this weekend...if I get a chance to work on my own stuff.

P.S. I had stock disc brakes on my 8.8 rear axle. Should my brakes be spongy? Would that be because the master cylinder is too small or does it need some more bleeding?

Got a box in the mail on Tuesday!!!

photobucket-11812-1338944627900.jpg

I need to get the pictures up, but here is what I have done. I welded the lower mount of my struts to the out C's on the Dana 44 to get her rolling. I have been reading about the best way to weld this and think I found the answer, but want some other opinions about welding carbon to cast...take a look at this:

http://www.4wheeloffroad.com/techarticles/drivetrain/131_0911_dana_44_cast_steel_housing/

I hope someone who has done this, or has seen it done, will chime in here.

P.S. I took her for a drive and was amazed at how well it handled (without an alignment) and am so excited to get her going again.

So I took the Ex for another spin tonight after some things were buttoned up. When I returned, I decided to do this:

photobucket-7127-1345063551926.jpg

Untitled-1.jpg

photobucket-4949-1345334087460.jpg

photobucket-21666-1345334301597.jpg

I cannot wait to finish it and get it out on the trails. I know that mine is not the biggest/wildest build, but I am hoping that it is going to be really reliable and agile on the trails. I had it up to 60 MPH today and it didn't handle bad at all...and no alignment yet. For those that had input and are still watching...THANKS!!!! The bumpers and bars are in the mix now.

Nice!!!

Got a few more things put together and took some more pictures with it flexed from the rear:

photobucket-24618-1345555171413.jpg

photobucket-7602-1345555203399.jpg

photobucket-34263-1345555230704.jpg

The shop is a disaster because we just moved...I can live with it until this is done. Have a bunch of small things to still button up:

-Air lines for the ARB's
-Front Drive-shaft
-Some misc. vacuum lines need connecting
-Oil Change
-Bleed the brakes again (thinking I need to go to a bigger master cylinder???)
-Paint and clean a few things up
-BUMPERS!!! We have started the front and am going to leave the rear for now.
-Mount the winch and plate

Hoping to have it out on the road this weekend because ARCHERY ELK SEASON STARTS!!!!!

Back