• Register Today It's free!

Problem with my locking hubs?

The_Commodore

Reaction score
City, State
Raleigh
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 XLT
I dont know if this is the problem, but it is the best idea I have. When I am in 4x4, the front wheels do not spin. I know the transfer case is working and the power is getting from the front differential as well. So the only problem can be the hubs. I hear a clicking sound from the hubs when in 4x4. I recently got new tires, and they said that both my front wheel bearings were bad. Could this be the problem, or is it with my hubs or something else? Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

moved to 91-94 section

How do you know your transfer case is engaging?

I take it you still have auto hubs?

Bad bearings could cause wierd noises, but if the noises only happen in 4x4, you may have bad hubs (they click when bad)..

It cheaper and usually better to get manual hubs. When you put in the manu hubs you change the bearing retaining system anyway so that would be the time to change your bearings (unless you need to do the bearings right now, then do them first)..

BTW.. when in 4x4 mode, have someone watch the front driveshaft and make sure it spins. if it is spinning, but the front tires aren't, they most likely hubs are toast.

~Mark

maybe the mechanic said bearings but meant hubs?

to check the bearings lift the wheel up and then pull on it and it will wobble.

Back