Problems hatching | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Problems hatching

i got rear ended by a drunk back in december. since then i've gotten a replacement off a 94. mine is a 91. (don't know if that matters) i went ahead and shaved the new hatch. when i put it on though i can't get it to line up.

The Blue is where its almost flush.
The Green is where there is a gap between the body and hatch the biggest gap is at the top at a width of 1/2"-3/4"
The Red is where it goes in too far by about 1/4".

hatch.jpg

Can someone help me with this issue? maybe take pics of the hinges where its suppose to sit?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

more pics...

top crack
0217091206.jpg

0217091206a.jpg

side shot of hatch
0217091206b.jpg

passenger side too far in
0217091207.jpg

0217091207a.jpg

driver side out a bit
0217091207b.jpg

Passenger hinge/bolt location
0217091208.jpg

Driver side hinge/bolt location
0217091208a.jpg

HELP!!! HOW DO I FIX THIS!?

that's exactly the same as my 2nd gen, when I swapped from earlier to later style rear door... I've no idea how to help, sorry

Si

bump

you have two adjustment locations.
The ones in the pics above which control up and down.
Then the ones under the headliner which control the in and out and left and right.

They have a fair amount of seam sealer (caulk) around them so you will need to clean that up to get ample movement.

Two very helpful tips.
Remove the latch strikers when aligning the hatch. Also remove the shocks (supports) it makes the jobe more of a PITA but easier at the same time since you dont have the shocks pushing in a direction you dont want.

Are the hinges from your old lift gate?
They might be bent.

Put the shocks back in place and double check the alignment. Once all that is done, when you put the latch strikers back in do them one at a time. get one side opening and closing smoothly and latching where you want them to latch. Remember that those latches have TWO clicks for full closed.

I removed a lot of the seam sealer but i couldn't get those to move. i think the hinges were from the newer gate...

Back