Hatch and Paint | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Hatch and Paint

to start with... my current pic of my ex
0215091536_0001.jpg

since my hatch wasn't lining up (see "problems hatching" thread) and it was dented in more then one area i decided to get another hatch at the u pull it since they were having the st. patricks day sale (50%) off so it came out to be 35 bucks. Luckily when i was out there last time, i scoped out an ex with the PLAIN package... no rear defroster or wiper setup so i went back and bought the hatch... (i also got some LONG tuff country 8000 series shocks off a navajo (there are 2" lift coils that were still on the navajo when i left) along with the wider fender flares. i got the shocks and fender flares for a total of 25 bucks)

Current pic of my current hatch

0215091537_0001.jpg

Only BEFORE picture i took of the replacement hatch

0315091615a.jpg

I decided to shave the third brake light, key hole, emblems, and something i have only seen once on EF...

I'm shaving the black trim...

Here is after i removed everything...

0316090004.jpg

0316090004a.jpg

My Final Result will be

-
-
-
-
-
-
-

:D

-
-
-
-
-
-
-

PICTUREOFTIMSTRUCK.jpg

[special thanks to froader for using his pic without asking (lol)]​

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

so i've seen all the threads about shavin the t-handle but has anyone thought to utilize the lock cylinder from the hatch, relocate it higher to get the glass and hatch to open?

ok so i scrapped the idea of shavin my t handle... i use it too often. but i did get my filler plates fabbed up tonight... they fit like a GLOVE...

third brake light filler... curved to fit...
0317091911a-1.jpg

0317091911.jpg

Lock Cylinder Filler...
0317091941-1.jpg

I also made some smaller pieces to weld the holes for the trim up with...

i did mine the cheap method, just filled the holes with a weld, so the bondo wouldnt go through, then filled the key hole with bondo (my key didnt open it, so I didnt take out the guts), but it looks good so far, keep up the good work!!!

i may start sellin filler plates... i know a lot of the sport truck guys might buy them...

Back