Project: RangerX gets full width D44 + 8.8 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Project: RangerX gets full width D44 + 8.8

I've talked about it for years, but today it's official. :D
I have taken possession of a HP D44 out of a 79 F150, and an 8.8 out of a 91 F150, in a deal I could not pass up from 90ranajo. :salute:
Don't know when I'll actually start the procedure, it may be a few months, but when I do, it will be a very basic, verrryyy bargain basement type of build. The front will be your basic radius arm, coil spring setup, and the rear will be my current leafs bolted to the new 8.8. I will aim for max flex from this setup, and probably modify/improve on it slowly over time, as funds permit. ;)

Her is some photographic proof. D44 is complete, but partially disassembled.
(chihuahua for scale :p:)

Attachments

• 111907 004.jpg
    111907 004.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 2,083

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

About time you get rid of that radius arm I welded up for you. Just remember get the deepest gears you can get. If you want to do your own gears I have all the stuff to set the gears up as well. Also put that doubler in at the same time. You are missing out a new world of wheeling without having that in.

Congrats :D Let the fun begin!

BTW that dog looks awesome :D Just hiding behind there

AWESOME!!!
5.13's rock, research coils ALOT!!!! I'm on my third pair and they still suck, will have to check which ones I ran, Wristed arms ROCK!!!! stock olf f-100 and f-150 RA's are LONG good!!! stock X parking brakes work with the new rear diff, PLATE the frame for your track bar and uh yeah thats all I can think of now, good luck and let me know if you have any ?'s

You have an explorer 8.8 right? If so pull the gears and locker and toss them in the full width housing. Grab a gear set for the front and you are set.

Are all the spare dana 35 parts going to Brian now??

Finally! :cool:

Are all the spare dana 35 parts going to Brian now??
Good question! There will be a thread for all that stuff appearing in the classified forum soon. ;)

I'm leaning towards 4.88 since I'll have the doubler, so I won't pull the gears from the current 8.8. I will be taking the killer diff cover, though. :cool:

Marshall, I'll be asking you LOTS of question, yours is my inspiration and model. :salute:

Iz, guess I won't be getting your axle. :eek:

Iz, guess I won't be getting your axle. :eek:
Ahah no worries, as long as I see your vehicle on D44s next time I'm out there!

Forgot you are still running the TTB. Hurry up and brake it so you swap in the dana 44 from your old truck. I guess RJ and Tbars4 are also still on TTB as well.

I'm negotiating a trade for a Tiki.

Ponder this Bill. Heims should have enough movement for full width expansion.

Attachments

• IMGP0076 (Medium).JPG
    IMGP0076 (Medium).JPG
    75.6 KB · Views: 1,908
  • IMGP0077 (Medium).JPG
    IMGP0077 (Medium).JPG
    38.7 KB · Views: 1,865
  • IMGP0078 (Medium).JPG
    IMGP0078 (Medium).JPG
    82.9 KB · Views: 1,902
  • My Pictures0001.jpg
    My Pictures0001.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 2,742

...congrats bill...:D...i am awaiting your ttb sel as i may need some parts for my ranger and i am subscribing too...
...and yes, i still have dana 35 but my truck is 5 mo's old to me...;)

Verrryyy Bargain Basement type of build. The front will be your basic radius arm, coil spring setup, and the rear will be my current leafs bolted to the new 8.8.

This is my kind of build....:D Watching and learning with great interest:popcorn:

Bill, let me know what you want to do on the extra arms I have, Although I don't have room for a Tiki:( I don't need cash for them right away;) However, Danny's deal is looking pretty swett up there. I'm in for what ever help you need with the SAS:thumbsup:

Non wristed Extended RA's will give you more then enough flex. This is White Rhinos truck from pirate. He runs air shocks.

Image041.jpg

You would be hard pressed to find a set of coils that can match the flex this setup gives.

Id take a look at FOA Coilovers. F-O-A.com They are an inexpensive coilover. You can get their basic 2.5 coilover with dual rate kit (14" travel shock) for 210 each. Theres a Used Coilover Coil thread on pirate, so you dont have to buy new coils either. Coilovers or air shocks would allow you to take full use of the flex you could get.

Image074.jpg

Good action picture.

n505693137_3959_3820.jpg

This is a good picture that shows just how long his RA's are. That arm isnt bend either, since the stock arms top and bottom angle down to the end he used the lower part of the arm as the "straight" part so the tube follows the line of the bottom of the arm, which makes the top part seem bent. He ground down the stock arm and sleeved it. Me personally I would add some gussets to it, but it has been holding up fine.

Edit: The joints are johnny joints.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Oooooh baby! I thought i'd never see this day come Bill:D
I've heard good things about B.C. Broncos and Cage coils, just something to add to the research list.

EDIT: Forgot to mention I have those Mickey Thompson Classic II wheels I'll sell you cheap if your interested.
Set of (5) 16x8, 4.25" backspacing and 5 on 5.5 bolt pattern of course. I know your a flat black stealth kinda guy but just thought i'd throw it out there.

Back