Projector Head Lights | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Projector Head Lights

I really like the way the retrofitted ones look - is there anyone on this forum that has experience doing these? What would it cost? thank you!

Ps, my review and details of install is Dead Link Removed.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I like the ones I have onPickle, my girlfriend has the other style on her explorer, both had to be fitted with HID kits.
My style was easier to aim though.

Si

I really like the way the retrofitted ones look - is there anyone on this forum that has experience doing these? What would it cost? thank you!

from a foggy memory
bmw projectors - 125 with shrouds
controllers - 30
hids - 125 (d2s bulbs)
lens - 150
remember, this was a few years back, i dont know if prices have dropped or have increased. when i did mine, i followed a thread that was made by p51mustang (or is it mustangp51) and i cant really remember how long they took to make because i had one controller that was bad, and had to send it back for a new one.

If you use HID lights make sure you use them in a proper HID projector.
It's possible to get high/low HID bulbs that go into your standard halogen reflector but the chances of getting a good result are very low.

You can buy a projector kit on ebay or lots of other places that go in where your bulbs usually go or you can buy a projector from a wreck and fit that.

Either way, HID is much better than halogen and well worth getting.

I got thoroughly abused on the non modified part of the forum because I had fitted 55/100 watt halogens with improved wiring to my standard lenses.
2 poster simply would not believe that my lights were improved but didn't bother other road users.

When I said that on low beam nobody would be able to tell the difference anyway I was told that unlike myself they were just too polite to flash me.

BTW, when buying HID lights don't go any hotter than 5000, after that the light starts to turn blue and isn't as effective and looks stupid.

I should have my projectors in Wednesday if this week, I'l take some photo's of what i is needed to modify in order to install them

Black headlights and corner lights - $115
(projector)Morimoto Mini H1 - $120
Ballast - still have my old Morimoto's from before my wreck
(bulb) Morimoto H1 5000K - $40
Wiring Harness - $35

The Retrofit Source also sells complete kits with everything needed minus housings for retrofit

I did a retrofit on my '99. Results were great. I'm in Canada (Calgary). Never had an issue with cops.

retrofit-firstlook.jpg

look good my friend... how is the light beam looks, is it all over the road like a half moon or ?

try it against the wall and see....

some cheap projector headlight has a bad aim on the road but some good quality one have a sharp aim on the road and not to blind the other in coming car...

look good my friend... how is the light beam looks, is it all over the road like a half moon or ?

try it against the wall and see....

some cheap projector headlight has a bad aim on the road but some good quality one have a sharp aim on the road and not to blind the other in coming car...

The beam quality is the best I've ever had on my truck. Not half moon like those eBay all in one projector headlights. The cutoff isn't as nice as high end vehicles that come with HID as standard, but very, very good. I know of others who have done this mod and feel the same way.

I have never been flashed in the 2+ years since I put them in.

The cutoff isn't as nice as high end vehicles that come with HID as standard, but very, very good. I know of others who have done this mod and feel the same way.

same with the bmw's i did. for example, if your going down the highway, and see the road signs, it cuts the top of the signs off. also, if you park it near a wall, the beam cut off is straight across, and not all over the place, but when your on a road, the fade away off into the distance. i have never been beamed either, not even when i have left my high beams on by accident. dont know if thats because i made them a tad to low, or they just dont blind people at all.

The beam quality is the best I've ever had on my truck. Not half moon like those eBay all in one projector headlights. The cutoff isn't as nice as high end vehicles that come with HID as standard, but very, very good. I know of others who have done this mod and feel the same way.

sounds good mate and good work..!

just wondering where is your high beam? Do you mind sending us the link where can we get these good quality projector kit please, I have a customer interested in these...

Same here I bought a projector headlight from ebay and it was a cheap projector but I manage to replace the lens off from audi and made a big difference then I have to modify the cutoff to suit for RHD...

thanks heaps!

sounds good mate and good work..!

just wondering where is your high beam? Do you mind sending us the link where can we get these good quality projector kit please, I have a customer interested in these...

High beam is mechanical and works flawlessly. They do have a RHD version as well. You get them here.

Back