Proper operation of lift gate button when vehicle locked | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Proper operation of lift gate button when vehicle locked

Skip Hood

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 XLT
Hi all -

Need a reality check here. My 2020 XLT has stopped responding to the lift gate opening button under the trim
piece above the license plate when the vehicle is locked. My best recollection from owning this vehicle for over a year is that when you approach the locked vehicle with the key in your pocket, it detects the key and you can use the button to open the lift gate same as you would to open the doors. The dealer‘s tech is telling me it doesn’t work that way. I believe he is confusing this with other Explorer’s “wave your foot under the bumper“ option for opening the lift gate. Which mine doesn’t have. Can anyone here confirm how yours works?

Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My ST opens by pushing the button when locked as long as I have the key in my pocket. Do the doors on yours open just by pulling the handle when locked?

Hi all -

Need a reality check here. My 2020 XLT has stopped responding to the lift gate opening button under the trim
piece above the license plate when the vehicle is locked. My best recollection from owning this vehicle for over a year is that when you approach the locked vehicle with the key in your pocket, it detects the key and you can use the button to open the lift gate same as you would to open the doors. The dealer‘s tech is telling me it doesn’t work that way. I believe he is confusing this with other Explorer’s “wave your foot under the bumper“ option for opening the lift gate. Which mine doesn’t have. Can anyone here confirm how yours works?

Thanks.
Unless they changed something on the XLT, it should open just like Dsle5403 mentioned. My Aviator also will open and has the foot activated feature. Have you tried opening it the same way with the vehicle unlocked?

Peter

Hi all -

Thanks.

Check the settings menu to see if the switch is deactivated. That may be what happened. This vehicle is known to have electronic gremlins that reset things or turn things off automatically. The number of intermittent glitches on this car are ridiiculous.

Check the settings menu to see if the switch is deactivated. That may be what happened. This vehicle is known to have electronic gremlins that reset things or turn things off automatically. The number of intermittent glitches on this car are ridiiculous.
I think that setting only stops the automatic opening. The latch should still unlock when it is turned off.

Thanks, folks. Just got the dealer‘s service manager to acknowledge that it’s supposed to work as I thought. If you have the key with you, the button should both unlock and open the liftgate. But they didn’t seem to know what to do other than “look into it”. Do any of you who had the same issue and got it fixed remember how that was done?

Grrr. Dealer reversed his agreement that the lift gate button should open it while the vehicle is locked, so long as you have your intelligent access key within 3’. His tech is telling him there is no sensor for that in the lift gate and it‘s a feature my particular 2020 XLT just doesn’t have, according to some build record he was able to look up. Though I wouldn’t expect a build record to list things common to all 2020 Explorers, as I believe this feature to be. That would be like saying they put in a steering wheel 😬. Dealer thinks the manual just failed to mention that it’s an optional feature. So we’re at an impasse. Again, info from anyone with a similar issue successfully resolved would be appreciated.

From the owners manual page 75 Sure looks like yours should work by pressing the button as long as the key is within 3 feet.

Opening with the Outside Control
Button
1. Unlock the liftgate with the remote
control or power door unlock control.
If a passive key is within 3 ft (1 m) of
the liftgate, the liftgate unlocks when
you press the liftgate release button

2. Press the control button to the right of
the rear view camera.

Grrr. Dealer reversed his agreement that the lift gate button should open it while the vehicle is locked, so long as you have your intelligent access key within 3’. His tech is telling him there is no sensor for that in the lift gate and it‘s a feature my particular 2020 XLT just doesn’t have, according to some build record he was able to look up. Though I wouldn’t expect a build record to list things common to all 2020 Explorers, as I believe this feature to be. That would be like saying they put in a steering wheel 😬. Dealer thinks the manual just failed to mention that it’s an optional feature. So we’re at an impasse. Again, info from anyone with a similar issue successfully resolved would be appreciated.
Unless the XLT is different, I agree that it should work. One way to find out is to get another member with one to try it.

Peter

Have you tried putting the key right against the lift gate?

Have you tried putting the key right against the lift gate?
If the battery in the FOB is getting weak that might make a difference. Or try it with the second FOB also.

I have the 2020 XLT and you can use the hatch button with the key fob in your pocket.

How about going out to the LOT with the service rep to see how a NEW XLT behaves?

That should be fun! :)

I have the 2020 XLT and you can use the hatch button with the key fob in your pocket.

How about going out to the LOT with the service rep to see how a NEW XLT behaves?

That should be fun! :)
Not really. They’d say that one has the option, while his does not, as they’ve already said.

Tell him to print out that build record.

There is nothing in the Owner's Manual to indicate this feature is an option. If an option, it will say (if equipped).

1619739435874.png

Agree strongly with Mbrooks420. Ask the dealer to provide you with the option number and description of that option and report back to us.

I hope this is not as it sounds, someone not wanting to do their job properly and take care of customers! I'll reserve further opinion until we solve this.

Agree strongly with Mbrooks420. Ask the dealer to provide you with the option number and description of that option and report back to us.

I hope this is not as it sounds, someone not wanting to do their job properly and take care of customers! I'll reserve further opinion until we solve this.
Good advice from everyone. Thanks. But the discussion I’ve already had with the dealer service manager didn’t leave any room for further action on their part unless and until I come back with proof their position is wrong on whether my intelligent access key fob should allow opening the lift gate without unlocking the whole vehicle, so long as the key is with me. I am working with corporate customer service to obtain that proof. Will report back when there is more to say. Again, thanks to all who took the trouble to respond.

I believe all the proof you need is in the Manual and post #15. Perhaps it's time to look fr a new dealership. Which package do you have?

Peter

I believe all the proof you need is in the Manual and post #15. Perhaps it's time to look fr a new dealership. Which package do you have?

Peter
Peter, I agree. But the dealer where I bought my Explorer has already dismissed what the manual says as not applicable to my particular Explorer. Said the owner’s manual covers all variations of 2020 Explorers and that it was just wrong in failing to note that the language pertaining to my issue applies only “if equipped“. Claims mine is not equipped that way, according to his tech. I will take it to my next nearest dealer (about an hour away) if really necessary get the matter resolved. Meanwhile I hope someone at the company level will be able to set him straight.

To answer your last question, mine is a 2020 XLT with intelligent access, the 202a options package, and Class III towing package. I think the intelligent access is what is relevant to this issue.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Peter, I agree. But the dealer where I bought my Explorer has already dismissed what the manual says as not applicable to my particular Explorer. Said the owner’s manual covers all variations of 2020 Explorers and that it was just wrong in failing to note that the language pertaining to my issue applies only “if equipped“. Claims mine is not equipped that way, according to his tech. I will take it to my next nearest dealer (about an hour away) if really necessary get the matter resolved. Meanwhile I hope someone at the company level will be able to set him straight.

To answer your last question, mine is a 2020 XLT with intelligent access, the 202a options package, and Class III towing package. I think the intelligent access is what is relevant to this issue.
Looking at the order guide for the 2020 Explorer XLT I don't see any option for the rear hatch unlock. Intelligent Access is standard on the XLT. It sure sounds like it quit working as it should. I hope Ford does correct this with your dealer.

Attachments

• 2020-Explorer-Order-Guide(1).pdf
    1.6 MB · Views: 116

Back