Puddle lamp/courtesy light bulb listed wrong | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Puddle lamp/courtesy light bulb listed wrong

JasonF

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 XLT 4x4 4.0
The courtesy light on the underside of the driver's mirror finally went out on my 2004 XLT. I googled and searched and found quite a range of suggestions for how to get access to the bulb. Everything from popping the lens off with a screwdriver to taking the entire mirror off the door and getting to it from the inside. The best help came from Youtube, there is a video of a guy popping the whole light housing out of the mirror using a utility knife blade to push the tab in. It worked great. The bulb holder then just twists out of the housing. Once I got to the bulb I was surprised to see that the replacement 168 bulb that everything had told me to buy was not right. I checked the owner's manual, Rockauto.com, the book at autozone, etc and all were all wrong. The bulb is actually a bit bigger than the 168, but has no markings on it. Fortunately the bulb housing plastic is marked with "13W Max" so it was easy to just browse the aisle at Autozone for a compatible bulb. I ended up with a 922, which is 12.5W. It appears to be an exact match for the original. The 168 at only 5W would have worked but would have been way too dim. My courtesy light is back in action and hopefully this will help the next guy.

Jason

Thank you. I have a pass side burned out, good timing for this read.

The courtesy light on the underside of the driver's mirror finally went out on my 2004 XLT. I googled and searched and found quite a range of suggestions for how to get access to the bulb. Everything from popping the lens off with a screwdriver to taking the entire mirror off the door and getting to it from the inside. The best help came from Youtube, there is a video of a guy popping the whole light housing out of the mirror using a utility knife blade to push the tab in. It worked great. The bulb holder then just twists out of the housing. Once I got to the bulb I was surprised to see that the replacement 168 bulb that everything had told me to buy was not right. I checked the owner's manual, Rockauto.com, the book at autozone, etc and all were all wrong. The bulb is actually a bit bigger than the 168, but has no markings on it. Fortunately the bulb housing plastic is marked with "13W Max" so it was easy to just browse the aisle at Autozone for a compatible bulb. I ended up with a 922, which is 12.5W. It appears to be an exact match for the original. The 168 at only 5W would have worked but would have been way too dim. My courtesy light is back in action and hopefully this will help the next guy.

Jason
Thanks for the light bulb size for my 2004 Ford Ex. Never had to change it until now.

Back