Pull axle on ford 8.8 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Pull axle on ford 8.8

9explorer@6

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Explorer Limited
Any one know how to pull the c clips in a ford 8.8 axle with traction loc? There is an s- spring between the spider gears which restricts getting the c - clip out of the axle.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I just did this job. The "S" spring must first be removed. I managed to lever mine out. To reinstall you need a vise and a pair of needle-nose vise grips to make the job easier.

Once the "S" spring is out, the procedure to remove the "C" clips is the same as for the open rear diff. Remove the 8mm bolt that holds the pin in, remove the pin and push the axles in to access the "C" clips. Use a magnet to remove them from the axle.

Be careful to not round the head on the 8mm bolt that holds the pin in, or you're screwed. I found a youtube video that showed how to get the "S" clip back in again.

The axles have an O-ring that cushions the "C" clips. If you don't have these in place the diff will tend to make noise when going around corners. If you need new O-rings, you can pick them up at any hardware store. There's nothing special about them.

I've gotten the c-clips out while leaving the s spring in place a couple times.

Very limited access, a magnet on a stick and a couple long "push" tools can help.

I've used a largish "C" clamp on the caliper bracket and axle flange to push the axle shaft inwards and hold it there while going after the clips.

I just did this job. The "S" spring must first be removed. I managed to lever mine out. To reinstall you need a vise and a pair of needle-nose vise grips to make the job easier.

Once the "S" spring is out, the procedure to remove the "C" clips is the same as for the open rear diff. Remove the 8mm bolt that holds the pin in, remove the pin and push the axles in to access the "C" clips. Use a magnet to remove them from the axle.

Be careful to not round the head on the 8mm bolt that holds the pin in, or you're screwed. I found a youtube video that showed how to get the "S" clip back in again.

The axles have an O-ring that cushions the "C" clips. If you don't have these in place the diff will tend to make noise when going around corners. If you need new O-rings, you can pick them up at any hardware store. There's nothing special about them.

I cannot stress this enough. Make sure the socket you use fit's very very tight. I try to find one I have to pound on so it doesn't strip.

I cannot stress this enough. Make sure the socket you use fit's very very tight. I try to find one I have to pound on so it doesn't strip.

As mentioned, this is critical. I even bought a brand new 8mm combination wrench specially for this bolt, but I found the fit was too loose. I tried to find an SAE socket that fit tightly (sometimes you can do this w/metric bolts) but nothing fit tightly enough. I finally tried multiple 8mm sockets from multiple socket sets I have and found one I was comfortable with. If you round that bolt head off, there's no way to get the diff apart due to its location.

Thanks to all

Any one know how to pull the c clips in a ford 8.8 axle with traction loc? There is an s- spring between the spider gears which restricts getting the c - clip out of the axle.

Thanks to all who responded. Decided to give it one more try. If you turn the carrier just right, hold your mouth just right, and the stars align, you can remove the retaining bolt and the cross shaft then with great finess, a pick and a magnet you can remove the c - clips without removing the s - spring. Re assembly is simple with a needle nose pliers. One important note, after the cross shaft is removed DO NOT TURN AN AXLE or you will have to re-align the spider gears and the carrier.

The lock bolt comes out easily if you heat it first-it is held in with thread locker. Always use a new bolt during reassembly-they are cheap and easy to come by as the same bolt is used in most every axle out there.

Bill

How do you tell if you have an 8.8 rear end? My '97 Ex EB is geared 4.10 and is limited slip. Axle code is D2.

How do you tell if you have an 8.8 rear end? My '97 Ex EB is geared 4.10 and is limited slip. Axle code is D4.

then you have an 8.8 rear diff.

BTW, D4 is 3:73 LSD not a 4:10.

then you have an 8.8 rear diff.

BTW, D4 is 3:73 LSD not a 4:10.

Thanks,

My mistake, My '02 Explorer XLT is D4, My '97 Explorer EB is D2. Got the codes mixed up..lol

Back