Purchased 46.5 Acres Near Kingman, AZ | Page 42 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Purchased 46.5 Acres Near Kingman, AZ

There's a place in Houston selling mint condition containers. I thought about this thread when I drove by the sign, and the yard that had stacks of containers. I think ConGlobal is the name of the place, it is where highway 225 and 146 junction on the east side of town.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Snake skin boots!

Do you have Starlink yet? I bought a 2nd dish as soon as we got the new RV. You can put it on pause and not pay anything for it until you use it. When the power company "made a mistake" last month and the power was out all day in our community and the surrounding communities we still had high speed internet in the RV so we could stream TV content and Internet.

"The plan is to leave the RV on site, take the Explorer back to San Diego, then tow it back with the Silverado so I will have both vehicles there."

Has your wife or Sarah been out there yet?

Snake skin boots!
The rattlesnakes I've encountered on the property are a beautiful light rust or red clay colored, almost pinkish. I think they are a subspecies of the Grand Canyon rattler. They would make nice boots. I haven't posted a picture of one because even a .22LR HP makes a mess of them.

I know I already posted this, but I don't like killing them. I understand their place in the ecosystem. They are a top rodent predator. I know there are other methods of removing them, but I feel shooting them is the safest way of keeping them out of this area. I'm not a snake rangler. They kill dogs and horses, both of which will eventually be here. There is no real way they can live in harmony.

Do you have Starlink yet? I bought a 2nd dish as soon as we got the new RV. You can put it on pause and not pay anything for it until you use it. When the power company "made a mistake" last month and the power was out all day in our community and the surrounding communities we still had high speed internet in the RV so we could stream TV content and Internet.

"The plan is to leave the RV on site, take the Explorer back to San Diego, then tow it back with the Silverado so I will have both vehicles there."

Has your wife or Sarah been out there yet?
I've been using my cell phone signal booster here with good success. I can stream through a fire stick using my phone as a mobile hot spot. I can also use the hot spot to go on line with my laptop. I have unlimited data streaming. When I get the house mostly built will be time to order Starlink.

You might talk to former Gov Doug Ducey. I hear he has a bunch of containers he needs to get rid of! 🤣

Seriously, I like the idea of the carport between the containers. sheer genius in it function and simplicity.

I've only come across one rattler since moving out here (outside of the ones I see crossing the road from inside my truck). But as I only see them while I'm out on the trail, I let them be. They don't bother me while I'm in the truck, and if I'm outside the truck I just give them room. Now if I found one in the backyard, I've got a little 410 shotgun that's even named "Snakecharmer". ;)

I'd say you're very lucky about getting the permits. Those are all pretty easy things to correct. When we were trying to build a new church in Chandler (right next to our old building) they had us jumping through so many hoops that we'd burnt through over 50,000 just trying to get past the red tape. We finally had to just give up and renovate the old building.

The rattlesnakes I've encountered on the property are a beautiful light rust or red clay colored, almost pinkish. I think they are a subspecies of the Grand Canyon rattler. They would make nice boots. I haven't posted a picture of one because even a .22LR HP makes a mess of them.

I know I already posted this, but I don't like killing them. I understand their place in the ecosystem. They are a top rodent predator. I know there are other methods of removing them, but I feel shooting them is the safest way of keeping them out of this area. I'm not a snake rangler. They kill dogs and horses, both of which will eventually be here. There is no real way they can live in harmony.

I've been using my cell phone signal booster here with good success. I can stream through a fire stick using my phone as a mobile hot spot. I can also use the hot spot to go on line with my laptop. I have unlimited data streaming. When I get the house mostly built will be time to order Starlink.
When I was in college, I worked night shift security at a super nice gated community. Sometimes I'd get called to remove a snake from someone's property. We'd catch and release it away from the area. Using a 6 foot claw to catch an 8 foot long snake wasn't worth what I got paid.

Mohave County actually wants new residential construction because it means more revenue.

I've come across lots of rattlers while out on the trail. I leave them alone since they are no threat to my animals.

Edit: I was walking Ranger and ran into the neighbor who has been here the longest. He was raised here, grew up on a ranch. I asked him about the rattlesnakes. The reddish snakes I have encountered are what he called "pinks", says they are not mean, but are still rattlesnakes. Across the highway in Red Lake is where the Mohave Greens are. He says they are mean and will actually chase you. They are also the most venomous rattler in North America.

This is one of the only threads I really pay attention to on here anymore. Makes the projects I work on in my little house and my little yard seem so insignificant haha. Looking forward to seeing the progress now that permits are getting closer.

Thought I'd show you this channel on youtube of a really talented and ambitious (go figure) couple building an off-grid property. They also built a container shop exactly like what you're talking about, and they're offroaders. I know you're not totally off-grid but they've tackled a lot of challenges with unique solutions and they make it look fun and also doable for more average people. If nothing else, it could be some entertainment for you.

New baby. Must have foaled overnight because this herd was by the pad at sunset.
20240514_103453.jpg

I took this and a few other videos of the two day old foal. I noticed that another herd has a new foal too, but they were too far away for a picture

Cute little baby. All legs lol

Plans got approved for my house. Concrete guy has already been out there, and will mark out the footings and start digging soon. He's using the front patio pins I put in to get the correct angle and placement. I told them the measurements are suspect, and to disregard the rest of the pins. He wouldn't have used someone else's markers in any case. Contractor paid for the framing and truss packages. It's finally happening! Contractor will email me the approved plans soon.

I think I'll have the concrete guys do the water line, depending upon their bid. The concrete guys will have a track hoe and mini excavator on site so they can wrap it into the existing job. They are licensed for that, and my backhoe developed a heck of a transmission leak. It keeps blowing the o-rings at the filter mount. I think its a pressure issue, wrong filter element, wrong size o-rings, or all of the above. I've been thinking of bypassing the filter all together with a loop of tubing, but that would be a temporary fix at best. Anytime I fix one leak, it disturbes 40+ year old fittings and lines and starts leaking somewhere else.

The permits for the spec houses should be approved by the end of the week. They will be starting two at a time. Need to stagger them because we are using the same subs for all six.

Plans got approved for my house. Concrete guy has already been out there, and will mark out the footings and start digging soon. He's using the front patio pins I put in to get the correct angle and placement. I told them the measurements are suspect, and to disregard the rest of the pins. He wouldn't have used someone else's markers in any case. Contractor paid for the framing and truss packages. It's finally happening! Contractor will email me the approved plans soon.

I think I'll have the concrete guys do the water line, depending upon their bid. The concrete guys will have a track hoe and mini excavator on site so they can wrap it into the existing job. They are licensed for that, and my backhoe developed a heck of a transmission leak. It keeps blowing the o-rings at the filter mount. I think its a pressure issue, wrong filter element, wrong size o-rings, or all of the above. I've been thinking of bypassing the filter all together with a loop of tubing, but that would be a temporary fix at best. Anytime I fix one leak, it disturbes 40+ year old fittings and lines and starts leaking somewhere else.

The permits for the spec houses should be approved by the end of the week. They will be starting two at a time. Need to stagger them because we are using the same subs for all six.
Congrats. Exciting stuff for sure.

Concrete guy is already out there digging the footings. He should be doing that for a few days, then the plumbers and electricians have to do their thing. Contractor is estimating the pour to start in 2-3 weeks. I told them to take pictures. I was hoping to be out there when they started, but that's the way thing always go. I get back to San Diego and, baam, the permit gets approved.

Won’t it be nice!!! Can’t wait to see this sucker all done and you moved in!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back