Quick HID question | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Quick HID question

Next spring sometime, I would like to put HIDs in my ex.. However my question is, how does the hi beams work with the HID kits? Do you need to buy a seperate, more expensive package for one with a Hi-beam? Also, do I need to cut any of the headlight assembly do get them to fit? Or are they made for fit like the harness for the regular bulbs?

Next spring sometime, I would like to put HIDs in my ex.. However my question is, how does the hi beams work with the HID kits? Do you need to buy a seperate, more expensive package for one with a Hi-beam? Also, do I need to cut any of the headlight assembly do get them to fit? Or are they made for fit like the harness for the regular bulbs?

High beam usually moves the bulb itself to position it where the high beam filament would be in a halogen bulb.
In order to have high beams you need the bi-xenon kit. More expensive..yes.
Usually the HID bulbs are rebased to fit the headlight assm. Just order the same size as the bulb you now have.
You may have to change the wires around for high & low beam as most seem to be made for 9004 bulbs which are different than the 9007.

Everything I was going to say, The price difference is not much anymore. HIDs are becoming cheaper and cheaper its funny :) I remembering when people were paying 300+ for them now I pay 50 haha if that sometimes.

Heck, I remember when I got my '98 X, I went to a shop and enquired about HIDs.. they were $1,500 at the time!

I just received a pair of H13/9008 HIDs for my wife's '06 X. If the weather is not too inclement later today I may try to install the kit. I already have them in my '98 X and they've transformed night driving into a pleasant and MUCH safer experience. As much as I like my wife's new X, I hate driving it at night. I've had two near-misses with pedestrians dressed in dark clothing already and that last experience got me to get off the pot and order a second kit for the new truck! It's a great investment, and the life you save may be your neighbor's.

Back