• Register Today It's free!

Rabcho shock help

Jzop

Reaction score
City, State
Red Bank NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 XLT
So i bought new Rancho RS9000X shocks off ebay. 2 front and 2 back. getting out the old stock shocks that were all rusted and messed up wasn't to hard but when it came time to put in the new ones i was a little confused. the shocks came with all the bushings bolts and washers for the top mount but the bottom mount needs to be connected with 2 bolts that go threw the frame and are tightened with 2 nuts on the other side. for some reason when i got to that part i realized i didn't have the circular piece that went through the actual shock bushing area on the bottom of the new rancho shock and i did not have the 2 new bolts or nuts to connect the shock to the frame. i tried taking the old connector out of the old shock to see if i could some how salvage it and use it in the new shock but it seemed to be almost fused into the old black bushing that was cemented into the end of the rusted crap old shock. I really need some help because i am now riding with no shocks up front and since i cant really do anything with the rear shocks because they connect to the top of the frame similarly im a little .... well stuck. does anyone know if there is a part i can just order or if i need to get them custom made so i can attach my new rancho shocks to the bottom of the frame. PLEASE!!!

do you have any hardware store near you? if so then just grab some grade 8 bolts for your bottom shock bolts.. i'm not sure what size they are but i think 1/2" bolts will fit..

you dont have the shocks installed yet right? bring them in the store to get the size right.. i'd do washers on the bottom part under the lower control arm IF it fits..

Goodluck!

i have a couple of hardware stores near me but im not quite sure if they will have what im looking for. because you have to put a steal piece through the bushing and then 2 bolts need to go through the steal piece you placed in the bushing connecting to the frame of the truck. im just not sure even if they sold something cylindrical that fit in the bushing if they would have the same piece of steal with 2 holes through it in order to run the bolts into the frame. i know the old piece in the old shock was not cylindrical. it was a rectangle that was surrounded by almost liquid bushing that was hardened. this long flat rectangular steal piece had pre drilled hols through it which allowed bolts to be run thought it and into the frame. being a flat piece it was probably a lot easier to fabricate then a cylindrical piece. although the kit did come with 3 cylindrical tubes that looked like they where sapost to go into the bushing i still haven't found a purpose for them yet.

They sent you the wrong part, plain and simple. From the sound of it, they sent you the fronts for a 91-94, but without knowing the part number, it's a guessing game.

You can look up the proper part number right on the Rancho web site.

www.tenneco.com

:)

Back