"Radiator stop leak found around the filler neck"? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

"Radiator stop leak found around the filler neck"?

HavePatience

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Ford Explorer
Hello everyone, I have read through several posts- and you guys are great.

I did do a search on the forums, and did not see anything on my issue:
My problem is with my coolant/radiator. I have a 1996 Ford Explorer and the check engine light came on. When I did the free diagnostic test (yes, I know it just gives you an idea of what's wrong), it said to check the thermostat or coolant.

I looked at the radiator and it was all gooped up with this brown/orange stuff, so I took it to get it flushed. I dropped it off and went to the store and the auto shop called and said there may be a leak, but they weren't sure, and asked if I wanted to proceed with the flush. They said the coolant may be leaking into the radiator...or was it the other way around...
Well, I called my knowledgeable Grandpa and he said just go ahead and have it flushed.

When I got home I looked at the paperwork and it said, "Radiator stop leak was found around the filler neck."

I did add a bottle of Bars Leak- Engine Oil Stop Leak and a bottle of Bars Leak- Heavy Duty Radiator Stop Leak to the appropriate places. I was unable to fit the pellets in the radiator though as it was too full.

How would you advise I proceed from here? Is this something that someone with no car-savvy can tackle?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

How would you advise I proceed from here? Is this something that someone with no car-savvy can tackle?

Nope, back to the shop for you.

Not knowing how to properly flush, replace and burp the cooling system may cost you more in the long run.

This is something you can learn, but you really need a helper who knows what to do.

Hi Turdle, well say I had a helper. Could you give me an idea of where to start?

And does it for sure need to go back? The Bars Leak won't help?

Hi Turdle, well say I had a helper. Could you give me an idea of where to start?

And does it for sure need to go back? The Bars Leak won't help?
When did you add the stopleak to the radiator? I NEVER add a full bottle off Bars leaks in my 96 4.0 OHV, just 1/2 bottle at a time should be enough. I think I would take Turdles' advice, and go back to the shop. Too much stop leak, whatever the brand will cause you more trouble than you can imagine.

Hi Yavapaires, ok, thank you. I added the bottle under the advice of both my Grandpa (who has worked on cars for many years) and the bottle instructions itself. But I believe you.

Was hoping to work on it myself, we'll see.

Instead of using something to cover up a leak, find it and fix it. Stop leak stuff for the most part will ruin whatever you are trying to put it in to stop a leak. Oil, coolant, etc. Coolant leaks usually aren't too hard to find. Find where its coming from and then come back on here and maybe you'll get some help.

Instead of using something to cover up a leak, find it and fix it. Stop leak stuff for the most part will ruin whatever you are trying to put it in to stop a leak. Oil, coolant, etc. Coolant leaks usually aren't too hard to find. Find where its coming from and then come back on here and maybe you'll get some help.
Maybe he doesn't have the cash to repair it right now. Try living on $1100 a month and pay the bills and make car repairs. IT AIN'T EASY FOLKS! Just saying. Stop leak is just a band aid until repairs can be done. It is not ment to be a perminate repair. But, it has bought me a year so far on a leaking head gasket.

When I was 17 and ruined an oil pump subsequently blowing a motor because I put stop leak in...I think I would have rather heard, "fix it right". You'll dig yourself into a bigger pit in the long run if you don't do it right.

When I was 17 and ruined an oil pump subsequently blowing a motor because I put stop leak in...I think I would have rather heard, "fix it right". You'll dig yourself into a bigger pit in the long run if you don't do it right.
The stop leak I am refering to is for fhe radiator, not the engine. I wouldn't use any stop leak in the engine oil, the same as I wouldn't use SeaFoam in an engine. There is a big difference between 16# pressure in the cooling system, and 50-60# oil pressure. But, when I was young, I did some foolish things too. The main thing, I learned a thing or two.

Back