Raim Air setup | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Raim Air setup

scoop/snorkel position ??

Tom:,how's it going, I am planning on putting the new 4x11" snorkel in the airdam,I think since we are a little higher up now,that it wont be such a problem. that's the only place I can think of putting it,unless of course we do put in a traditonal snorkel like a 4" tube sticking up like a fender mounted antenna,but that's too radical for me.
what do you think about the airdam local...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Air dam isn't a bad spot as long as you don't get into any deep water. I can't use that spot, since the front hitch sits behind it, taking up valuable space. I'd probably have to settle for whatever I can suck in around the headlight or something. I'll have to take a better look under there.

How does the fishlock connect to the airbox? I saw where you said you were going to have to bore a hole. Does it have some type of thread and nut system on it?

Front Grill

I was just looking under the hood of my '93 and got some inspiration. I found that by removing the plastic top plate and 2 screws on the mounting of the grill I can tpull the grill forward just a few inches. There is a 2 1/2" rubber baffle that slips on a plastic dam at the sides of the radiator. It is bent outward a bit, and from years of sitting in that position it has settled into a bended shape. I slid it off the edge of the plastic and flipped it around. now it is bent in front of the openning in the grill and redirects the air towards the passenger headlight. It is only about a 2" openning and not enough to make a difference in the radiator, but would be large enough to bolt a small scoop in there. With a bit more modification on the plastic dam I think you could move it a bit more also. My intake hose goes into that area, but is odd shaped to work with. I will need to make a cover to direct the flow more efficiently for the ram air, but at least it will increase the fresh air now. Hope this gives you some more options on mounting your scoop.
Mark

fishlock

Phantom:,
it's a very simple looking round(tubular) piece of thin sheetmetal,with hooks facing inward to grab the hose that is shoved inside of it,I have no idea how it mounts to the airbox, all I can say is that Pierre told me that I was getting everything needed,clamps,etc
Also when I take out the stock snorkel, the surrounding area pops out as well,and although it is an oval shape,Pierre said I can very easily bend the fishlock to the shape of the oval hole,I may have to bore it out a little bit more though,it just seems very easy to me while I'm thinking of it.I may also have to cut some of the scoop of the new snorkel to shorten the length from the intake to the exit.

Can you post some pics of the pieces you ordered before you insatll them? I'm sure you will post pics of the completed project.

that sounds like a plan !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!I'll be wanting to try my new digital camara out

hey skender, about those "hood vents" have you seen the grand cherokee 5.9 limited? it has two vents, angled backward on the leading edge of the hood. i saw one the other day, and wasthinking of doing the very same thing with mine some day. if you could locate a 5.9 hood in a wrecking yard, you could do a little creative cutting on your hood and pop 'em right in. what do ya think?

by the way, they are functional, i could see the heat billowing out of them.

Hood vents

Have'nt seen the limited 5.9. Sounds like a damn good idea though. Anyone know of any websites opr catalogues that carrythis sort of stuff? Plan on getting my explorer painted in the future and I figure that would be aq good time to install these vents. With a fresh coat of paint they should look sweeeeeeet as well as functional.

hey guys, i just gave my '95 a homemade ram setup. only cost about 10 bucks. got a three foot section of 2.5 inch vaccuum cleaner hose (like at the coin op carwash) and a 3"x6" funnel. pulled back the inner fender, pulled the factory inner airbox, and snaked the hose through the area previously housing the inner airbox. then i cut out the bottom of the funnel, attached the hose to the cut out, and mounted the funnel in the opening just to the pass side of the license plate in the front bumper. a quick seat of the pants observation is that it seems to have a little more punch to it. i can hear it sucking air at idle, which sounds cool. it also seems to idle alot more smoothly, and doesn't seem to have the "stutter" that it had while idling anymore. the reason i wanted to try this is that over the past couple weeks, my mileage has dropped from about 15 mpg city to about 12 mpg. does anyone think that could have anything to do with the new bfg's? i also replaced the brake pads at all four corners about two weeks ago. i have new plat + 4's, but haven't changed the wires yet. i'll let you know how the mileage comes out after i fill it up again. if anyone has any questions, let me know.

Doug, what was the diameter of your old tires? The reason I ask is that if these 30's are bigger, your odometer will read lower than the actual mileage you are traveling. So, you're possibly driving farther than it says between fillups. Check out http://www.4lo.com . They have a tire size calculator on line there so you can type in your old size and see what the diameter was.

Also, make sure that your ram air scheme isn't restricting intake flow. If the tube is smaller than the air tube going from the MAS to the throttle, you will have some restriction, though it shouldn't be a problem at 1/2 throttle or less. I'd lean more towards the tire size situation myself.

hey guys just thought of a great place to put the ram air intake, right there in the bumper where the front liscense plate is you know those two slits that are about 8 inches by 2inches just make a dual funnel that fits behind the bumper (there is about 6 to 7 inches) of room back there which would be enough to run a pair of funnels (im not sure if its called a funnel or not but i hope you know what im talkin about)then connect a pair of hoses that run through the bottom of the shroud in front of the radiator then join the two tubes together and run them up to the airbox.

just an idea, seems like it would be simple to install im gonna try it out by next week

go for it Austin !!!!!,I still am waiting for the parts from ram air box.

i looked at ram air box but their sorkels were to big for where i want it to be. the closest model was like 3x8 inches and 6 inches deep, i need to have it connected to a hose and turned down or to the side in about 6 inches or less so the hose isnt pressed up against the radiator. ive been thinkin about one of those vacuum cleaner atachments but havent found any the right size, but im gonna keep lookin

Computers

Remeber to reset your computer after the setup if you want to reap the benefits of increased MPG. Your computers have to relearn...

hey just wandering, i read somewhere that some ram air setups create boost. so would i be able to measure it with one of those vacuum/boost gauges?

BTW- ive located all the parts that i need for my setup, just waitin for pay check so i can buy them all.

hey skender how do youlike that tornado air management thing?

well im gonna have to wait on the ram air. i now got to fix my front driver's side quarter panel(damn pole jumped out and grabbed me in a parking lot)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

yea i think metal has a taste for explorers last winter a damn guard rail bite my bumper!:)

Back