Rancho or Edelbrock | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rancho or Edelbrock

Jordan714

Reaction score
Rancho 5000
Rancho 9000 Adjustable (Cab Controller)
Edelbrock IAS

I am trying to decide which stock to purchase for my 98 XLT 2wd. I would like to know if anyone has experienced BOTH of them? Not just someone who has one or the other but has anyone on here used or driven in both? Could you compare them for me and possibly give me some suggestions. My current suspension has the Torsions at max and the Warrior Shackles in the rear.

Thank you very much,

Jordan

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Dude, I just got mine yesterday and they run great. There is no more of that side to side tumbling that I used to get on speed bumps or deep put holes. Coming in and out of driveways is much better. You can really tell the difference.

I have not tried them yet off road, but they have to be better than the vrummy stock ones.

My $ .02

Jordan

You have been on this site for a long time now and I am sure you have read everything that has been posted in reference to shocks. I think you realize what the three different sets of shocks are capable of. If you want to test them both, buy the Edelbrocks and keep them for a few weeks. They have a 30 day money back guarantee. If you dont like them, get the Rancho's all you loose is two hours of installation time! I'm sure you would be happy with any of those shocks you mentioned.

Eric

Hi Jordan-I don't know if this qualifies, but I have RS-5000s on my '91XLT and rode with two friends that have the RS-9000s with in cab controls. One in a F-150 the other in a full-size Bronco. In my opinion the RS-5000s are valved equivilant to a setting 4 on the 9000s which is on the firm side. Good for highway handling. At settings 1 or 2 will soak up some pretty major bumps when off roading. I do mostly highway driving and light off-roading, but I'm seriously considering the 9000s with the in cab controls.

I used 5000s on my '92 for a few years then switched to the IAS as soon as they came out.
IMHO, the Edelbrocks perform better on and off the road (and I spend a lot of time off road).

Back