Ratchet shifter | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

usarmyaros

Reaction score
City, State
Colorado Springs, CO
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Ford Explorer
So im new to the forum and have been slowly turning my gen3 04 XLT into a street machine. It has the 4.6 paired with the 5R55S. Im tired of the steering column shifter and have been looking at the TCI street fighter ratchet shifter for the 05-09 mustang since it is a 5R55S specific shifter. Ive never tore apart a steering column before but im no stranger to custom fabrication. I was wondering if anyone had any tips or experience with the steering column breakdown to make my relocation of the shift cable easier. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks guys
378869_355579437791318_100000177932657_1641893_474024648_n.jpg
:salute:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You buy this thing with the paint n rims n stuff already on it? I swear I've seen it before. More pics! And as far as a ratchet shifter you might be able to make an 06 center console with the shifter there fit in?

Nice truck!

I was going to also suggest a newer Ex console with console shift...

Nope

Yeah I didn't think so. But if you make a ratchet shifter happen u gotta write up a how to!

Ill try to get more pics up for you guys. Ill head down to the local junk yard when i get back to town and see if anyone climbed a tree with a gen 4 lol. I know the only other trans options for gen 3s was the manual but was scrapped after the '02s. But i bought the explorer in 09 and it was stock as it gets, and white lol

Oh.. There's one running around that looks just like yours. Same rims and all but no body kit. That thing is slick

Ill try to get more pics up for you guys. Ill head down to the local junk yard when i get back to town and see if anyone climbed a tree with a gen 4 lol. I know the only other trans options for gen 3s was the manual but was scrapped after the '02s. But i bought the explorer in 09 and it was stock as it gets, and white lol

i'm sure you could order a center console for a manual transmission third gen off of a OEM ford parts website and make that work?

Its a possibility. Id have to see where the shifter is located on the console. Know anyone that has a manual 02? Cause a pic would definitely help

yea that would be an ok start but id still be cutting the hell out of the center console because the shifter im looking at is narrower than that and longer as well. id be doing a lot of cutting and filling to make it fit and also make a custom bezel to cover up the bolts. i have a buddy with a 4th gen that i can get an idea of what im looking at.

Pretty sure all the AU Explorers have a center console shifter. Let me know if you want a pic?

yea that would be helpful but it would be easier(and cheaper) to pull a center console out of a 4th Gen at a junk yard than import the part. either way ill be custom fabricating a mounting bracket to the body under the console not to mention cutting a new tunnel for the shift cable.

few examples here

Your right, probably easier and cheaper going with a 4th gen. Junkyard prices here are a ripoff! Plus the shipping :eek:

200080110_full.jpg

looks pretty sweet actually. why cant us models be like that??

Sweet ride usarmyaros.

I was thinking about the same thing for my aviator when the factory shifter (inevitably) broke. The TSI shifter looks much wider than the stock avi one though.

Thanks. When it comes to this ratchet shifter, my options are pretty limited. I like my Ride to look like it came from the factory that way. So the less custom fabrication the better. I alread know ill have to fabricate and weld a mounting bracket regardless if it fits better in a gen 3 or gen 4 center console. My biggest issue is going to be moving the shift cable from the steering column to the center console and since apparently nobody has tried this on a gen 3 explorer, i get to lead the way by trial and error on this one lol. But trust when i say ill share the wealth on this project and a write up done on the steps to DIY.

Your Explorer looks awesome!!!! Very nice job on it. As far as the swap goes, disconnecting the factory cable and shifter should be easy enough, I would also try and find an upper column shroud for a manual trans '02, and I have also been kicking around the console shift swap idea, without the ratchet shifter, I don't need it. If you find a 4th gen, Make sure it is a v6, the v8s all had a different trans after '05. '06 and up 4.6l 3v used a 6 speed 6r60 trans I believe. The cable and brackets from the v6 4th gens should all work for you. Take a peak at where the shift lever comer through the floor on the 4th gens also. I would also look into the length of the lever on a mustang trans vs your trans. Since the shifter is made for a mustang length shift lever, you need to have that length lever on the trans. very easy to swap. Just take off 1 nut, I think it is 13/16, and replace lever. I just remembered that the factory shifter on the mustang goes through the floor and connects to the cable in the trans tunnel. So maybe get the cable from a mustang not a 4th gen.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

right, i was looking into the shift cable for the mustangs as the best option rather than a relocation of my current cable. either way i work it out theres still a lot of cutting and fabrication. its going to be a challenge for sure but worth it when i take it to car shows. Got the first one of the year coming up at the end of march so i need to plan this project around the shows i plan to attend. but i will let you all know how it goes and take pictures of the steps and do a full write up for anyone with a want for a ratchet shifter.

Back