• Register Today It's free!

Rear Differential leak

ethan10502

Reaction score
City, State
Las Vegas
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 Explorer Sport
Hi there everybody, I hope i can get help from you guys. I have a '99 Explorer sport with 134k miles, when i bought it from the used car lot i noticed the Diff leaking from the front where the driveshaft enters the axle, the dealer replaced the seal, that was at a 131K. I just noticed that its leaking again, is it hard to replace the seal? I was watching the dealers mechanic when he was working on it but i didnt see everything. Any help would be appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

most dealers will honor there work with a 12000 miles / 12 months warranty.

most dealers will honor there work with a 12000 miles / 12 months warranty.

he didn't say anything and it was a small used dealership so i doubt they would honor it.

check the receipt.

but you would need a seal puller and install. also a socket to take the drive shaft out and a 2 or 3 jaw puller to take the flange off. and a socket for the pinion nut, and a pinion holding tool and torque wrench to re torque the nut.

you also want to check the flange to see if it has groves in it or not where the seal rides, if it has a grove, you need a new flange or you can put 100 seals in and it will always leak.

....... you need a new flange or you can put 100 seals in and it will always leak.

Seriously? I would think a hundred of them would clog everything up so badly, NOTHIN' could leak out.......:D imp

I gotta check the flange because if i remember correctly he didnt use a puller and i think he used a hammer to whack off the seal.

Hi there everybody, I hope i can get help from you guys. I have a '99 Explorer sport with 134k miles, when i bought it from the used car lot i noticed the used Differential leaking from the front where the driveshaft enters the axle, the dealer replaced the seal, that was at a 131K. I just noticed that its leaking again, is it hard to replace the seal? I was watching the dealers mechanic when he was working on it but i didnt see everything. Any help would be appreciated.

I wonder why the dealer didn't tell you anything about it and why you didn't watch the mechanic on replacing it? That's a very important part for you. Because everytime you need to replace the used transfer case seal, you know what to do. Just an advice, watch all the things that they are doing so that you can gain knowledge and you can do it by your own. :salute:

Back