• Register Today It's free!

Rear fan blower R&R

nolimitssjca

Reaction score
City, State
San Jose, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 XLT, 96 XLT, 97 Mounty
I decided to redo the wifes 96 5.0 XLT interior last weekend. All went well, I tore out seats, console, carpet. I took advantage of having the carpet out to use the access panel and swap a couple of O2 sensors.

This car has had a problem with the rear fan blower in the console since I bought it. It's missing a couple of blades so it vibrates. I was at the Pick-n-pull and there was a blower just hanging there by the harness. I unclipped it and it was mine!! Woo Hoo! $8 and I was going to be able to fix that long standing vibration.

But when it came time to pull the broken one, it turns out the console is virtually unable to disassemble. I drilled out the plastic welds, took off the short front duct and I got nothing! That blower is encased inside the steel cage. 3 long bolts keep it from having travel. The duct that seals it in seems to wrap around it. Looks like I would have to destroy the thing to get to it.

Can someone explain this to me in small words? Please?

The ducts on the back should come off easily after you remove the back of the center console. The controls back there have a rod that operates the blend door (unless you have the electronic one) The center console itself is only held in with a couple nuts on the top, and 2 screws on the sides at the back of the seats. Once you get the wiring harnesses and the center console out of the way, you take the nuts off the blower assembly and work it out of there.

I'm not sure what to tell you. I just took mine out to replace the blower motor, and really didn't have any trouble with it. As long as you have the console out of the way, it all comes right out.

I have a feeling you will need a new console. You have to remove the console and pull the fan from the bottom. There are 2 screws behind the rear cup holder piece you will need to remove to pull it out. The rear blend door mechanism is all attached it to it too so you basically have to strip the whole thing down to get it out.

Back