Rear hatch dimensions?

SilverUnicorn

Reaction score
City, State
Pennsylvania
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Chevy Trailblazer
Hi!

I tried a search but did not find what I was looking for.

I am looking at a 2016 Explorer Sport. My hobby is pinball and I want to make sure that I can move a pinball machine in whateverf SUV I purchase. Can anyone with a 2016 get me the dimensions of the hatch opening?

I need the lowest point at the top to the highest point at the bottom, if that makes sense. Basically, I need to know the maximum vertical clearence to get things in and out of the back.

I would hate to buy a Sport then not be able to use it for what I need to.

Thanks in advance!

Chris

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

For reference, the min is 24" in height.
I was able to load the tires upright, with the 3rd row folded flat.

Hi!

I tried a search but did not find what I was looking for.

I am looking at a 2016 Explorer Sport. My hobby is pinball and I want to make sure that I can move a pinball machine in whateverf SUV I purchase. Can anyone with a 2016 get me the dimensions of the hatch opening?

I need the lowest point at the top to the highest point at the bottom, if that makes sense. Basically, I need to know the maximum vertical clearence to get things in and out of the back.

I would hate to buy a Sport then not be able to use it for what I need to.

Thanks in advance!

Chris
Welcome to the Forum.:wavey:
I would suggest that you visit a dealer and take the dimensions you are concerned about. Also you should check out this thread; https://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=349775&highlight=crack

Peter

When I am buying a new vehicle, I always take it home and make sure it will haul what I need it to haul. Take a test drive, take it to your house, and do all the measuring you need. Why would you EVER buy a vehicle before trying it out?

When I am buying a new vehicle, I always take it home and make sure it will haul what I need it to haul. Take a test drive, take it to your house, and do all the measuring you need. Why would you EVER buy a vehicle before trying it out?
Because there aren't any around to try out.:D That's what happened when I ordered my 2011 Explorer in December 2010. Got a $1000 Early Order bonus but the Ex was so new that no dealers in the area had any. No regrets though.:thumbsup:

Peter

"Silver", I just measured my 2015, I believe the 2016 should be about the same.

rear hatch opening

46" wide
34" high in middle for approx. 15" each side of center.

The top edge is curved and at about 17" off center it tapers to 32" high. Then continues to decrease for the last few inches.

As they say for mpg "yours may very".

Craig

"Silver", I just measured my 2015, I believe the 2016 should be about the same.

rear hatch opening

46" wide
34" high in middle for approx. 15" each side of center.

The top edge is curved and at about 17" off center it tapers to 32" high. Then continues to decrease for the last few inches.

As they say for mpg "yours may very".

Craig

Great, thank you so much for the information!

Chris

Back