• Register Today It's free!

Rear wiper skips

misspebbles71

Reaction score
City, State
Williamsport, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Ford Exp. XLT 4x4
I am new here so bear with me. I was playing around on the net looking for anything about problems or recalls with rear wipers for Ford Explorers and found this site.

I have a 2001 Ford Explorer XLT. I've had it for a few years now but when I bought it, I noticed right from the start there was a problem with the rear wiper. I have a new blade on it and runs just fine except when it swipes, it skips most of the window. I have put up with it until now but with winter coming, I want to see if there is anything I can do to fix it.

Someone I took it to said I have to replace the glass because it's warped but I don't think so. The motor runs fine and the arm looks almost new.

Has anyone else had this problem? If so, what can I do? Do I have to go to Ford and buy a brand new one or can I just go to a junk yard and get a used one?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank You ~ Chrissie :exp:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just bend it a little, that's what I did in my 97

Welcome to the forum!!

There are two tabs that need to be cut off where the wiper are pivots. If you would care to PM me your email I'll send you a link to a write up I did. Unfortunately I am not permitted to link it here.

Also welcome to the site. Its great to see another person from PA!

I think I was the first person that modified those fingers...

2583297633_e24b2756dc.jpg

A dremel works well, although I ended up disassembling mine to prevent damaging the spring.

-Joe

This is Ford's repair for the skipping wiper:

Oasis Special Service Message Number: 15406
Message Title: Backglass Wiper Skips Glass

Applicable Vehicles :
1998 - 2001 Truck : 00070 Mountaineer 00110 Explorer
2002 Truck : 00110 Explorer

Oasis Message :
Some 1998-2002 Explorer Sport And 1998-2001 Explorer/mountaineers May Exhibit
A Rear Wiper That Does Not Sufficiently Clean The Backglass. To Service,
First Inspect For The Letters 'ab' Stamped On The Wiper Arm Just Below The
Wiper Blade Pivot Pin. If The Letters Are Not Stamped On The Arm, Install New
Service Arm Part # Xl2z-17526-aa. Note: Ensure That The New Service Arm
Assembly Has The Letters 'ab' Stamped On It. Original Wipers With 'ab'
Stamped Near The Pivot Pin Were Revised To Apply More Pressure To The
Backglass.

Applicable Symptom Codes :
202000 Electrical Wiper/washer System

Hope this helps
Scucci

Thanks everyone for all the info! Don't take this wrong but I'm glad there are people like you who have the same problems as I do. LOL! I will try all of the above and see what works best. I am tired of having to pull over every so often while driving in snowy weather, to spray and squeegy off my back window, like I have done every winter.

This is Ford's repair for the skipping wiper:

Oasis Special Service Message Number: 15406
Message Title: Backglass Wiper Skips Glass

Applicable Vehicles :
1998 - 2001 Truck : 00070 Mountaineer 00110 Explorer
2002 Truck : 00110 Explorer

Oasis Message :
Some 1998-2002 Explorer Sport And 1998-2001 Explorer/mountaineers May Exhibit
A Rear Wiper That Does Not Sufficiently Clean The Backglass. To Service,
First Inspect For The Letters 'ab' Stamped On The Wiper Arm Just Below The
Wiper Blade Pivot Pin. If The Letters Are Not Stamped On The Arm, Install New
Service Arm Part # Xl2z-17526-aa. Note: Ensure That The New Service Arm
Assembly Has The Letters 'ab' Stamped On It. Original Wipers With 'ab'
Stamped Near The Pivot Pin Were Revised To Apply More Pressure To The
Backglass.

Applicable Symptom Codes :
202000 Electrical Wiper/washer System

Hope this helps
Scucci

Doesn't work for everyone, and when it does, it doesn't always work for long. I have the AB arm... Installed by Ford. They had to bend it when they installed it. it worked for two months. That's when I modified the arm. Hasn't missed a swipe since November of 2002. :)

i got mine fixed for good,, picked up one of those extra wiper spring kits that goes on the stock wiper and holds it tighter,,they have different ones,, i don't remember which one offhand,

i got mine fixed for good,, picked up one of those extra wiper spring kits that goes on the stock wiper and holds it tighter,,they have different ones,, i don't remember which one offhand,

I tried one... didn't work. They won't work if the arm is hitting its stops underneath. The spring will just hold it tighter on the stops, but it can't overcome the fingers.

Bend it man.

Yeah I had this same problem, and it was bad. The stupid thing only got about a fifth of the back glass. I got so sick of it I just bent it forward about an inch. now it gets the whole thing but it doesn't rest in it's spot anymore, and it's kind of crooked, like it matters. I need functionality more than looks.

s3700027fv5.jpg

Back when the Explorer was new they took it to the dealer a few times for this. They eventually fixed the problem, what I think they did was put a rear wiper arm on from a similar vehicle. The tab thing doesn't line up right (sits to the left of the holder on the rear hatch) and it wipes too far to the left. But, it works, so I don't worry about it.

I have this same problem...frustrating

My wiper had this same issue, but I bent it and now it wipes fine. My problem now is that when its done, it rests in that crack at the bottom of the rear window. Depending on how it sits back in that crack, when I try to wipe the rear window again, it sticks and doesn't wipe! I have to move the wiper and try it out again to see if it wipes, and its still a 50/50 chance of it wiping.

Anybody have any ideas on how to fix that?

My wiper had this same issue, but I bent it and now it wipes fine. My problem now is that when its done, it rests in that crack at the bottom of the rear window. Depending on how it sits back in that crack, when I try to wipe the rear window again, it sticks and doesn't wipe! I have to move the wiper and try it out again to see if it wipes, and its still a 50/50 chance of it wiping.

Anybody have any ideas on how to fix that?

See post #4 above. Mine parks off the glass just like it should.

IF you don't have a "gijoecam" type problem (ie. fingers in the way), then another likely cause of your problem is a "frozen knuckle". On my 96, the knuckle had "invisible" grime buildup that need a lot of WD and other cleaners to free it up. Once the knuckle moves totally freely, the wiper works well and sits back on its rest holder.

I don't have a dremel but believe or not, I was able to cut back those two tabs where the wiper pivots using a pair or heavy duty side cutters. I did not remove anything, just be sure and move the wiper fluid supply line aside while you snip away. I also did a little gentle bending as well. It's not perfect but the blade now touches about 90% of the glass and it still rests where it should on the holder when not in use. Before this it did not touch the glass at all....

IF you don't have a "gijoecam" type problem (ie. fingers in the way), then another likely cause of your problem is a "frozen knuckle". On my 96, the knuckle had "invisible" grime buildup that need a lot of WD and other cleaners to free it up. Once the knuckle moves totally freely, the wiper works well and sits back on its rest holder.

My '95 did the same as well. The arms between '97 and '98 are vastly different though.

I just cut off my fingers (the ones on my wiper) and it works great! Thanks a ton, thats been driving me crazy for two years now. Snowy years at that, here in Colorado.

I too have the skipping wiper problem. I am going to grind down the two fingers this weekend. I also noticed the shaft of the wiper motor moves back and forth about 1/4" when the wiper motor is running. This leads me to believe the rubber bushings on the motor bracket are shot. I recall reading on another thread that someone replaced just the bushings. My local Ford dealers says the bushings cannot be purchased seperately. Anybody know if the bushings can be purchased without buying the bracket assembly?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i hate my rear wiper!!!!!

Back