Regular size shocks work with tt/shackle lift and bigger tires? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Regular size shocks work with tt/shackle lift and bigger tires?

Fantasymon

Reaction score
City, State
Tulsa, OK
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 XLS
Hi,
I have a 2000 Explorer and did the TT/Shackle lift for 1.75". I put on 265/70/17's too. These tires raised me another 2.4 inches. My question is, do bigger tires make you need longer shocks or just lifts? Like if I just had the 1.75" lift and the stock 235/75/15's, would I use the same shocks as with the 265/70/17? I am planning on getting some Gabriels for $20 at Pep Boys. Jdraper said he bought these for with his TT/Shackle lift and they worked good. I know if I have to get longer shocks they will be too expensive and I won't be able to get them so I am hoping the tires wont make a difference. I called 3 different Pep Boys and they were all clueless.

Thanks!

Grant-P

You don't need bigger shocks when you run bigger tires. The suspension still stays in the same place relative to the frame, which are the two points the shocks mount to. I have the 2" tt and shackles (as you probably know), 31" tires and I'm running the stock length shocks without a problem. You could run shocks 2" longer if you can find them. The back shouldn't be a problem, but the front might due to the weird shape ford used.

Thanks Jeff...

I think I am goin to have to get those shocks pretty quick... Is it normal to feel literally every bump in the road? I think some of it is due to the tt/shackle lift but it was also pretty bad at stock... Like speed bumps - I do WHATEVER I can to avoid them. I know its not my new tires because it was even worse before I got them. Just driving on a highway can be very bouncy. Like when Im driving I just stare at the road looking for little bumps to avoid... I cant imagine what offroading would/will be like...Did you have this problem before you got your Gabriels?

Also on that radar detector thing.... I got it hardwired like you told me...It took me like 2 hours though...Spent forever just looking for the rear wiper fuse..never did find it...I just wired it to my left headlight. Anyways the following day the velcro on the radar detector came off. It fell off my dash and was hanging by the cord. Somehow when I shut my door it happened to be in the way and got smashed! All that for nothin.. Broke the radar detector!

Thanks,
Grant

Back