Remote Start Facts (2011 - 2015 only) | Page 29 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Remote Start Facts (2011 - 2015 only)

...and????
Yes the car has it enabled already bought a new key from the dealer by me. $160 for the key and to be cut and programmed since I only had one key originally.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Having some difficulty locating Factory Ford 5 button keys for the 2015. Does anyone know how to come across them?

Thanks

Welcome to the Forum Dennis.:wave:
Other than getting them from the dealer, several members have found them on Amazon and/or eBay.

Peter

Have known of this thread for some time after buying our 2014 Explorer xlt at auction about a year ago, and knowing there is only 1 key (3-button key) for out vehicle. IP cluster settings showed no settings for remote start, so no remote start setup/enabled from factory. I believe I found the part number somewhere in this thread, and I purchased a BB5Z-19G364-A Remote Starter Kit from an ebay seller (who turned out to be a Ford dealer it appears). Got a pair of keys for $155, a fair price I think.

Took my 1 working 3-button key and my new 4-button uncut keys to a local dealer. Not cheap, but $100 was the fee to cut and program the 2 keys. Once I get there, the shop boss, who is their "techie" guy, tells me my keys will not work b/c they broadcast/work on a different frequency versus the 3 button keys. He pops the covers off the keys and points to the FCC ID number and tells me they are different frequency devices, i.e., the 3-button keys work on a different frequency versus the 4-button keys in view of their differing FCC ID numbers. Interesting. . . , however, being an electrical engineer I'm well aware FCC id numbers are registration numbers for RF transmitting devices and the reg. number is unrelated to the actual frequency emitted by the device. I also tried to share the simple instructions for enabling the remote start with the tech, and he advised he knew how to do it, but an added electronic module available from Ford would be required for my keys to work. Further, he tells me if he goes to program all 3 keys (my original 3-button and the 2 new 4-button keys) there is a chance the new keys won't work and I'll need to buy an additional $165 key as 2 keys must be programmed once the "reprogramming" process is initiated.

Well, I think I'm gonna need 2 keys no matter what, I'm amazed the wife has not lost this one key yet, so I tell him IF my new keys won't program, I'll simply have to buy another new key from his dealership so that I have 2 working keys. Let's proceed.

I'm told it will take an hour, so I walk down the road and have lunch, return and they tell me the car is ready, the tech WAS able to program my 4-button keys (another miracle of xmas season), Remote Start IS now enabled as I can see the Remote Start settings in the IP under Vehicle settings for idle time and climate control settings, and the check box (that is checked) that is labeled "system". HOWEVER, i got one minor issue, the remote start buttons for both 4-button keys do not do anything. The dealer tech told me I needed an antenna (as a EE I find that hard to believe the door unlock/lock signal is received by the car yet the "engine start" signal is not received). So, it appears the dealer tech did not have success with the remote start feature. I assumed he knew what he was doing w/r/t the button sequence.

Any comments/suggestions as to what might have gone wrong here? thanks in advance.

Edit: oops, feel real dumb. Forgot one has to push the "Doorlock" button b4 trying to start the engine, lmao, they work!!!! Do you suppose the dealer tech was as dumb as me, as he told the service desk gal it did not work. Haha, guess he was wrong.

^^Welcome to the Forum Kyle. :wave:
Good to hear that everything worked out for you.

Peter

Just give them this:

If your vehicle did not come with a package that includes the basic remote start feature all the dealer has to do is enable it through the dealer software known as IDS.

IDS Process:
The dealer will hook up to the vehicle and start a new vehicle session. Then in order they select menu items under the tool box tab: body --> security --> remote start. A warning screen will pop up stating that the hood pin must be installed and that an antenna must be installed with the exceptions of several vehicle types INCLUDING the Explorer. I repeat....the Explorer does not require an additional antenna for the base remote start system. If a hood pin is not installed IDS will fail in enabling remote start. Depending on the year of the Explorer, IDS may ask the user if the vehicle has climate controlled seats and a heated steering wheel. IDS will then enable remote start. There will be new menu items in the instrument cluster related to remote start. This process may take up to 15 minutes. What your dealer charges to do this is up to them. CHECK AROUND and get estimates!!

Any new remote start keys will need to cut and programmed to the vehicle. If you have two existing keys you can program new keys to your vehicle yourself (the process is noted in your Owner's Manual) otherwise your dealer will need to program your new key(s) to the vehicle. The vehicle can have up to 4 IKTs programmed to it. The keys do not need to be programmed to the vehicle before enabling remote start but it doesn't change anything if you do it ahead of time.
IDK if you are still on this board but just FYI. I took my Sport in for a recall and said hey could you hook up the remote start too? Guy said theyd take a look.

Called me back and said your car didnt come with it. We checked the build sheet. Ok so they dont install either. So I call around for some 3rd party folks to install one and get confirmation they can for around $325. Said I will call them back.

So I once again went searching for this feed which I had seen a year or so ago. Pulled it up and here is this entry. Took a pic. Called the service guy and said Hey Rob look...I want to sent you a pic of something and do you currently use the IDS system. Hey said yes...thats our system. I said ok gimme your email address I want to send you something and I want you to ask the tech if he can take a look. Ill pay you for his time. So he does and I send a pic of this above.

He calls me back just now and say well....its working. The post was unhooked from the system for some reason and when we went into IDS we did the steps and it didnt work. So the tech followed the line and said the thing is unhooked behind the headlight so the post wont register.

Now Idk if thats a BS line or what but its gonna cost me $67 for a half hour of his time and the remote start is working.

Thanks Folks! and especially you jmr061

IDK if you are still on this board but just FYI. I took my Sport in for a recall and said hey could you hook up the remote start too? Guy said theyd take a look.

Called me back and said your car didnt come with it. We checked the build sheet. Ok so they dont install either. So I call around for some 3rd party folks to install one and get confirmation they can for around $325. Said I will call them back.

So I once again went searching for this feed which I had seen a year or so ago. Pulled it up and here is this entry. Took a pic. Called the service guy and said Hey Rob look...I want to sent you a pic of something and do you currently use the IDS system. Hey said yes...thats our system. I said ok gimme your email address I want to send you something and I want you to ask the tech if he can take a look. Ill pay you for his time. So he does and I send a pic of this above.

He calls me back just now and say well....its working. The post was unhooked from the system for some reason and when we went into IDS we did the steps and it didnt work. So the tech followed the line and said the thing is unhooked behind the headlight so the post wont register.

Now Idk if thats a BS line or what but its gonna cost me $67 for a half hour of his time and the remote start is working.

Thanks Folks! and especially you jmr061
The post he’s referring to is the hood safety switch.

Welcome to the Forum Bishop1. :wave:
Yes, Jason (jmr061) is still active here and has been very helpful.

Peter

Post removed, I missed to OP's post regarding the discussion of software I was not aware that was objectionable.
I'm in the same boat...I don't understand why the post was removed instead of just edited?

This thread is literally referenced all over for various pieces. I've tried archive.org, but it didn't capture this (or at least it's old enough now that the URL has changed since the form post).

Remote Start 2011-2015 FORSCAN references this for parts and information...I don't see how that can be a problem?

This is my first vehicle purchased that wasn't 10 years old out the gate, and I feel the removal of historical posts like this only damages those who can't afford fancy newer model vehicles on the regular. I'd go through each page and try and piece things together...but asking a newcomer to scan through 30 pages is a bit much, isn't it?

Content removed due to continued discussion of illegal software (copyright violation) in responses.
I implore you @jmr061, please restore the content of your post; and if needed, simply edit out what you found was taken by others and used inappropriately. Thanks!

I'm in the same boat...I don't understand why the post was removed instead of just edited?

This thread is literally referenced all over for various pieces. I've tried archive.org, but it didn't capture this (or at least it's old enough now that the URL has changed since the form post).

Remote Start 2011-2015 FORSCAN references this for parts and information...I don't see how that can be a problem?

This is my first vehicle purchased that wasn't 10 years old out the gate, and I feel the removal of historical posts like this only damages those who can't afford fancy newer model vehicles on the regular. I'd go through each page and try and piece things together...but asking a newcomer to scan through 30 pages is a bit much, isn't it?

I implore you @jmr061, please restore the content of your post; and if needed, simply edit out what you found was taken by others and used inappropriately. Thanks!
Hi EarthBoundX5. What are you looking to accomplish?

To recap some of the 29 pages in the forum, some of the 5th generation explorers come pre-equipped with a hood-switch. My 2013 XLT included the hood-switch. For safety reasons, if the hood-switch is not installed or not working, the built-in Ford software will not allow remote start. This is to prevent the engine from starting if the hood is opened.

If you have that hood-switch, then you need
1) Keys with the remote-start button
2) Enable the Remote Start that is already built into the car

The dealer will charge ~ $200 for the keys and another 30-60 minutes for labor.

OR, you could try to buy knock-off keys on Amazon/Ebay and pay a locksmith to cut the key. I purchased CWTWB1U793 keys from Amazon for $20 and the local hardware store cut them for me. (Check which ones may be compatible with your specific car.) They fall apart quicker than the actual Ford keys.

You'd also have to buy OBD reader that is compatible with Forscan (Or IDS) to enable it yourself. I had access to IDS and was able to do it myself. Forscan is probably the easier and cheaper method to achieve this.

That is odd i never knew an explorer could start if the hood was opened and does anybody know some bad issues with 2011-2015 police interceptors? I want one because it looks nice like an undercover but dont know what issues they have

The lights for any of the climate control stuff will not function during remote start. The items still work however. The seats may be tied into temperature even in the last user setting?

I still have more keys available :)
I was just quoted $100 to program a key to remote start my 2014 XLT. I've been told it should have a built in remote starter. $100 sounds cheap. Looking quickly through this site, it seems there's more to be done then just cut a key. Can you help? Thanks

I was just quoted $100 to program a key to remote start my 2014 XLT. I've been told it should have a built in remote starter. $100 sounds cheap. Looking quickly through this site, it seems there's more to be done then just cut a key. Can you help? Thanks
I bought the key with the 5 button remote in it. Had it cut at a locksmith. Then turned on the remote start with fordscan. $100 is cheap let the dealer program it buy the key online

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
Does the vehicle have the hood switch?

Peter

Being an XLT you have the hood switch, dealer will need to activate remote start if it isn't already and cut/program the key though if you have two keys already you can get it cut elsewhere and program it yourself.

Just adding. I got my 14 XLT about 2 months ago. I bought these keys on amazon:
Amazon product ASIN B0184O6PFW
Bought this USB adapter for Forscan:
Amazon product ASIN B094Z7PBLS
Walmart cut my keys for free. I only had one key that came with the vehicle.

I then followed the fob programming to program the buttons:

Used forscan to program the new keys transponders to the vehicle. Then enabled remote start in the BCM and enable the remote start settings in the IPC.

Works great! Only issue I have is the quality of the key fob buttons are a little touchy. Maybe one day I'll buy the genuine ford keys. I really want a flip key conversion but I haven't found one that has both the remote start button and trunk/liftgate. I can find them either or.

Hello, I'm hoping this is still active. My dealership is telling me that my 2015 XLT build sheet says Less Remote Start. But I have the hood pin and remote option active in my dash menu. Can I purchase the 5 button fob and program it myself?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hello, I'm hoping this is still active. My dealership is telling me that my 2015 XLT build sheet says Less Remote Start. But I have the hood pin and remote option active in my dash menu. Can I purchase the 5 button fob and program it myself?
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
I would think that if it had remote start you would have received the proper keyfob with the vehicle. If you select remote start in the menu, does it give you any options?

Peter

Back